WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I was looking around and found a Seiko Superior for a good price and was wondering a few things about them. What are the differences between these and normal 5's? Is it mainly a marketing thing or are there substantial differences? The only difference that I know of- 7s36 mvt. I have also heard that they have sapphire crystals, while the auction only claims it has the hardlex crystal.

Thanks!
Nick

Attachments

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
Hello everyone. I was looking around and found a Seiko Superior for a good price and was wondering a few things about them. What are the differences between these and normal 5's? Is it mainly a marketing thing or are there substantial differences? The only difference that I know of- 7s36 mvt. I have also heard that they have sapphire crystals, while the auction only claims it has the hardlex crystal.
Thanks!
Nick
Nick,
Tough question as there is a bit of controversy on this one. Some maintain that they added 2 jewels on the Superior's 7s36 movement are non-fucntional. They do not improve performance in any meaningful way over the 21 jewels in the 7s26 movement. So, are superiors worth more? That is, as always, a personal judegement. I would not buy a Superior over a standard 5 simply because of the 23 Jewels vs. the 21 Jewels. However, there are other features added to many Superiors that are not typically available on standard 5's. I have seen some with Sapphire instead of hardlex (or Seiko's equivalent of sapphire). Sometimes the cases are more elaborate and the bracelets more solid but in other instances regular 5s have the same or better bracelets. In my experience it all is a matter of looking at the 2-200 models you are interested in and finding the one that has the most of what you want with the 5s and Superior 5s.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Nick,
Tough question as there is a bit of controversy on this one. Some maintain that they added 2 jewels on the Superior's 7s36 movement are non-fucntional. They do not improve performance in any meaningful way over the 21 jewels in the 7s26 movement. So, are superiors worth more? That is, as always, a personal judegement. I would not buy a Superior over a standard 5 simply because of the 23 Jewels vs. the 21 Jewels. However, there are other features added to many Superiors that are not typically available on standard 5's. I have seen some with Sapphire instead of hardlex (or Seiko's equivalent of sapphire). Sometimes the cases are more elaborate and the bracelets more solid but in other instances regular 5s have the same or better bracelets. In my experience it all is a matter of looking at the 2-200 models you are interested in and finding the one that has the most of what you want with the 5s and Superior 5s.

Good luck.
Or.......................go for the Spirit!!!! :-!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts