WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After deciding I need to start wearing watches, Seikos caught my eye, especially the vintage/old Seiko 5s.

I hopped on eBay and picked two low-priced watches that caught my eye, before researching the world of fakes (I know.. backwards)

Now realizing they're most likely fakes, I bought a legit Seiko Presage from a department store, and I love it.

Still, I want legit old Seiko 5 watches even more.

I poured through websites detailing how to spot fakes, and now every watch I see looks like a fake.

I could use some advice, from the other way: what do you check off that tells you the watch is legit and it's worth buying? (I'm not hung up on parts to make it work, just that the case, dial and style is original)

And what online sites/forums/auctions do you visit that give you confidence you're getting an old Seiko 5 and not something cobbled together and redesigned?

My price range is from $50 - about $150, trying to stay under $200

·
Registered
47 Posts
It could be difficult, sometimes, to identify fakes only by looking at pictures, but here are some general rules:

1. It should be a mechanical, automatic watch. There were some quartz 5s, but these are rare.
2. There should be day and date complications.
3. The crystal should be flat hardlex.
4. The forum is here to help.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
there should be vendors out there that still sell some of the 'old 5s' of the past several years. some of the models that look like the classic Seikos would be the SNXS73/77/79, SNX111+ others, SNKL45+ others... a lot of these hearken straight back to a lot of 60's design cues. these are just a few examples, there are dozens of different case styles and dial variants out there.

the cool thing is you can google search these models and usually switch up the numerals to find similar alternate models, i.e. SNXS77/79 etc. you can get lost in the hundreds of different models. better yet look up the Seiko 5 Finder website =)

10 years ago 5's were all over the net for 60/70 bucks. these have gone up in price but they are still out there new.

here's pics of a few of mine in stock form (had some mods done to them). i think these are all still available, the blue SNXS and SNKE were bought new in 2018... usually you just add a leather strap and it's a completely different watch!

SNXS77

SNKL45

SNKE79

SNXS79 (on a nylon 'bond stripe' strap)

it's a deep and dark rabbit hole, beware! =)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
there should be vendors out there that still sell some of the 'old 5s' of the past several years. some of the models that look like the classic Seikos would be the SNXS73/77/79, SNX111+ others, SNKL45+ others... a lot of these hearken straight back to a lot of 60's design cues. these are just a few examples, there are dozens of different case styles and dial variants out there.

the cool thing is you can google search these models and usually switch up the numerals to find similar alternate models, i.e. SNXS77/79 etc. you can get lost in the hundreds of different models. better yet look up the Seiko 5 Finder website =)

10 years ago 5's were all over the net for 60/70 bucks. these have gone up in price but they are still out there new.

here's pics of a few of mine in stock form (had some mods done to them). i think these are all still available, the blue SNXS and SNKE were bought new in 2018... usually you just add a leather strap and it's a completely different watch!

SNXS77
View attachment 15648938

SNKL45
View attachment 15648883

SNKE79
View attachment 15648884

SNXS79
View attachment 15648889

it's a deep and dark rabbit hole, beware! =)
Great advice, I'm already in the hole.

And nice watches - did you get different straps to suit your style?

I like leather straps more than metal, and I'm thinking of swapping in leather on some watches I'm interested in buying.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Great advice, I'm already in the hole.

And nice watches - did you get different straps to suit your style?

I like leather straps more than metal, and I'm I'm thinking of swapping in leather on some watches I'm interested in buying.
i've tried Nato straps on these as well, leather and nylon. looks OK, very wearable, but still i mostly stick to these fairly conservative slightly padded straps. but lizard works too!

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
The text on the dial MUST have JAPAN or MADE IN JAPAN on it near the 6 o'clock marker.

Any with JAPAN MADE are Mumbai specials i.e. assembled from old parts with newly painted dials in India. Steer well clear of these.

BEWARE of any SEIKO being listed by borisdblade (Karl from Goole) or martinstimpson (London) in the UK. These are the most prolific importers/sellers of Mumbai watches.

·
Premium Member
66,518 Posts
I’d trawl sales corner here on WUS. No system can be 100% perfect but WUS does its best to keep scammers at bay.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts