Votes: 5 25.0%
  • sumo

Votes: 15 75.0%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
seiko 6105 now fetch at us$500-700 while you can buy sumo at an average cost of us$650..

question is, which do you prefer?

a. 6105
b. sumo

·
Registered
5,773 Posts
I have the vintage 6105 but not my favorite, despite all the hoopla over it. And the Sumo has never reall attractived me, too big and I dont like the bezel fonts etc etc. But I prefer the 6105 if I had to decide on one. In truth, the 6309 case fits me nicer so I have 2 Hybrids with that casing and 7548 dials and movements installed- the perfect combo IMO. The Sumo, from seeing it in the showcase here in Japan, looks a tad big for my 6.5 inch wrist. Prices now are moving upscale, so I tend to keep my older vintage models and forget all the new ones who prices are really not worth it IMO. Take the Sarb017 green dial with 6R15, midsized beauty. I found it on Japan Amazon for under $400 and Seiya san was selling it first for mid$450 and then soon after I saw it jump to $500+......Okay, I begrudge him as tis his busness to know the market.
For Seiko long time buffs, there are lots of great watches for less than $600Usd...

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
I have owned both the Sumo and 6105 at the same time and recently sold the 6105. I voted Sumo and here's why:

I bought a cosmetically restored 6105-8110 here on WUS. It ran for about 2 weeks before it developed movement issues. I sent it to one the well known forum references for a movement overhaul and to redo the cosmetics (since they were marginally done). It took 6 months to get it back and it was perfect, mechanically and cosmetically. I wore it in rotation for about 2 months without issues. But, I now had $950 in it and wearing it in rotation was not really smart since it was a collector piece. It passed WR test to 150m when it was serviced, but was not recommended for water activity since it was a vintage piece. I do a lot of water sports, so it was not a good fit in my collection (which I wear, not safe keep). There are a few 6105's out there, but you better be careful buying or you'll end up with $1k in one in a heartbeat like I did.

Now enter the Sumo. I bought it for $450 on WUS and it has not missed a beat since. It hacks/hand winds (6105-8110 hack only and some 6105's not even that), keeps excellent time, and has zero WR threats. Just wear it and forget. Great watch. I still own my Sumo.

But now my recommendation for your particular interest referenced by this poll. The Dagaz Typhoon, it will soon be released and it is inspired by the awesome 6105 case and will house the 6R15C movement of the Sumo. So with this package you'll get the best of both worlds; classic 6105 styling with modern Seiko 6R15C time keeping, and modern internal case design featuring better WR (triple crown seal and probably rated at 333m). The early bird special is over, but Jake will probably start taking orders again once he begins rolling them out sometime this winter. They are also available with custom hands/dials of the buyer's choice (I'm having MM300 hands installed on mine).

Here is a pic of the 6105-8110 I had restored:

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
It depends what your goal is for the watch. Personally I think the 6105 is much more interesting as a functioning collector's piece. The trick is buying one that is all original and as mint as possible. The 6105 will be a much harder watch to find in good condition but much more rewarding when you do and I think you should expect to pay closer to the $1000 mark for something that is close to mint and untouched. Buying a 6105 takes a lot of work, have fun but be careful.

The Sumo is no work to get and beautiful out of the box and you don't have to worry about hidden issues that could effect value.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Owned both, never saw the point of the Sumo. People talked about "build quality" a lot, but I never saw it. Mine arrived brand-new from Seiya with the minute hand five minutes out of alignment, from the factory. The top marker looks like a cameltoe. The naked unguarded crown looks like a growth. I sold mine in a few months.

Love the 6105s.

seiko 6105 now fetch at us$500-700 while you can buy sumo at an average cost of us$650..

question is, which do you prefer?

a. 6105
b. sumo

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Owned both, never saw the point of the Sumo. People talked about "build quality" a lot, but I never saw it. Mine arrived brand-new from Seiya with the minute hand five minutes out of alignment, from the factory. The top marker looks like a cameltoe. The naked unguarded crown looks like a growth. I sold mine in a few months.

Love the 6105s.
I've heard this and I still have trouble taking this complaint seriously. =) I guess, YEA, it does, if you are told this and kinda look for it. But if you don't think about it, it would never really cross your mind that that's what it looks like. I don't think someone looking at the lume glow in the dark is gonna be like, 'hmm, what time is it... god look at that lume, it's sweet... waitaminute... that hour indicator... is that..? NO WAAAAY LOL.'

·
Registered
Proud Casio G-SHOCK fanboy
8,694 Posts

Love the 6105s.
I couldn't help but laugh. I love the Sumo, particularly the Blumo, though.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
If your wrist can take the Sumo, I would suggest buy the Sumo. The 6105 has a rich history but not your history. You can start your own with the Sumo.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
you can't get a 6105 with the original dial or in good shape that costs less than a brand new sumo.

Furthermore, at least you don;t need to worry about water resistance with sumo.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, Spencer,

I am trying to get hold of you about service to my Seiko 6138-4004. It has two problems:
1) The watch stops if the chronograph is not activated. Otherwise, it keeps very good time. It was fine until I dropped it. 2) the minute register (small one at the bottom) does not move consistently. I would like to have a rough estimate, turn around time, and procedures to send the watch to you. Thanks. Jay

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
The Sumo is just too damned big. It looks ridiculous on half of the wrist shots I've seen of it. 6105 all the way. Unless, of course, you actually intend to go diving with it, in which case a vintage piece is not an option.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts