WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was offered to buy above mentioned watch but have some concerns about it's authenticity. I'm no expert but i think that chronograph hand is not genuine at least, maybe even some other parts. So i would appriciate your help. Are all of the parts genuine? If you can tell that from the photograps shown in the following link:

Seiko Panda Automatic Chronograph

Asking price is not bad at all (around $200), but I'm not sure that all of the parts are original.

·
Registered
485 Posts
The chrono sweep hand has either been replaced or repainted. Apart from that, from what I can see it seems decent. The dial doesn't seem to have been touched up. Of course, what's going on internally may be something else altogether, but for the price it doesn't seem bad.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply guys. I would gladly pay even more if I was certain that all of the parts are genuine, but 6139/6138s in good condition are hard to come by here in Croatia.

@LorenzoG

I think that rally strap would compliment this watch nicely.

·
Registered
249 Posts
bane01, actually i think panda 6138's in good condition are hard to come by regardless of where you are. btw, that bracelet on my watch is the original bracelet. good luck!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Other than the chrono seconds hand .. it appears to be in good original condition. If its keeping good time and the chrono functions are working properly, then it would be a good buy. These pandas are getting much harder to get nowadays.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now I'm really tempted :) anyway I contacted the seller but he doesen't seem to know if all the parts are genuine (i dont mind aftermarket chrono hand) so I'm a little sceptical. But if I buy it this hideous strap has got to go

·
Registered
249 Posts
iv removed the original bracelet (because it has seen better days and also to preserve it as much as possible) and replaced it with this

black croc strap would be a good option too.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
I'd hit it for $200 if it runs right. repainted sweep hand or not

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is there any chance that some of internal parts are not genuine and of lesser quality, despite the fact that all functionalities are OK? At least this is what seller has told me.

·
Registered
426 Posts
There is always a possibility that the movement would have been serviced at some point in the past. It should not be too much of a concern if the watch functions well. In fact i would prefer a watch that had a recent service ( atleast a competent one). Just make sure to check the following :
- Chrono functions: all hands move properly and return back.
- it is still hand windable via the crown
- date changes via crown itself and also by advancing the hands
- time keeping
- if its possible take a look at the movement itself for its condition

1 - 11 of 11 Posts