WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a few questions about the Seiko 6138 Panda...

(1) Does the chrono center sweep hand originally come with both a red tip and a white tip ? (see photos) My guess is that the white is aftermarket, but not certain...

(2) From going through Seiko automatic chrono advertising, some of the Panda dials have the jewels listed under the date... are these JDM versions?

(3) Also from going through that same advertising, none of the original Panda dials being shown in the original advertising have the small Seiko logo to the left of the day/date window... Any idea why some have the mark and others don't?

If it's easier just directing me to an online resource please feel free. Any help is appreciated...

(and sorry in advance if these questions have already been answered on the forum. i searched for quite a while this past weekend, but didn't find the info... thx)

Original Seiko auto chrono advertising- link from seikoholics

Seiko Panda 1.jpg

Seiko Panda 2.jpg

Photos not mine. From IG @allmywatches (red tip) & a repost @seikowatchusa (white tip)

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hello!
1)Both are wrong. The tip is maroon actually.
2)Yes. The jdm ones have 23jewels movements (the rest 21)and that is written in the dials.
3)Most of Seiko catalogs of that era had drawings instead of real pictures so that is an error, afaik all had the suwa symbol. Regards.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much - particularly the insight about the drawings. That's interesting. I don't know if there is a defacto resource showing the Panda and/or the other chronos in original condition & variations. I am assuming that there is one out there. I thought that original advertising would be it, but even that missed the suwa symbol.

·
Registered
256 Posts
6138pic_2_1_zpsyvharfad.jpg
In this photo, perhaps the same you posted but with greater resolution,you can see both suwa symbols, tough partially due to Seiko always show second hand at 42 seconds.
Also you can see that for the gold plated version, the tachy hand is all white, with no tip.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I've seen red, white and yellow tipped seconds hands. Not sure if all are original. I've also read that watchmakers would replace the seconds hand at service and they'd take an all black hand and paint the tip themselves. Not sure if that's true or not. My watch guy said it was standard practice to replace the seconds hand at service when he worked for Seiko Australia - they were never meant to be reused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts