WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 2799 Posts

·
Registered
13,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A couple of weeks ago I posted a thread about how I wished that there was an homage of the Seiko 62MAS. I was mostly day dreaming and lamenting that homages to other historic dive watches like the Oris 65, Zodiac Sea Wolf 53, or even the Seiko Turtle were being done but nothing for the 62MAS. You can tell from my signature that I gravitate towards modern vintage inspired homages. I would love to own a 62MAS homage with vintage looks and modern manufacturing!

This is Seiko's first true professional dive watch. Sort of the grand daddy of all the modern day Seiko Divers we love to wear and take pictures of ......MM300, Sumo, Turtle, SKX007, Shogun, etc.....The 62MAS is also known as the 6217-8000/1. I had to look up what the MAS stood for but it comes from the term autoMAtic Selfdater. The 62MAS was introduced in 1965 with a 37mm case, a date function, a bi-directional bezel, strong lume on the hands and markers, a sizeable crown, screw down case back, 150M of water resistance, and a non-hacking, non hand-winding 6217 movement that beat at 18,000bph.

I think it is classic Seiko design and just a very beautiful watch. This is the original. The design concept renders is below.

(pic from Google Images)

Well after posting that thread and receiving numerous positive comments from other Seiko diver flag waiving WIS, I decided to try and reach out to some of the forum favorite micro brand owners to see if they had any thoughts on this watch. When I contacted Doug with Manchester Watch Works he was just as enthusiastic about this model as I was and he has agreed to take a shot at making a 62MAS homage for the WIS community.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 62MAS Homage is officially a viable project that Manchester Watch Works is actively pursuing. We had well over 150 interested parties and at last count 120 people that have registered for the pending survey that will be released on this project.
The official list of WIS that are registered for the survey are listed below in Post #2 of this thread

Questions, comments, etc - please fire away in thread

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Black Fashion accessory
Circle
Fashion accessory Jewellery Platinum Silver Metal

Specs:

Diameter:
40mm

Lug to lug:
47mm

Lug Width:
20mm

Thickness:

TBD

Movement:
Seiko NE15

Bezel Insert:
Aluminum

Caseback:
Screw down

Crown:
Screw down

Crystal:
Boxed Double Domed Sapphire

Strap:

Vintage Tropic Style Rubber

Lume:
Superluminova C3

Pricing:
$350+Shipping (Tentative)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SURVEY AND VOTING PROCESS

Round 1 (Simple majority wins)

Movement: Miyota 9015 ($370) -VS- Seiko NH35 ($250)

Logo: MWW text Logo -VS- MWW diamond Logo

Round 2 [70% super majority required to overtake the base option which is listed 1st for each contest]

Movement: Seiko NE15 ($350) -VS- Winner of Round 1

Logo: 62MAS text Logo -VS- Winner of Round 1

Handset: 62MAS Handset -VS- MM300 Handset

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
******ROUND 1 Voting is now Closed******

We would really appreciate it if you would take this poll!

https://62mashomage.typeform.com/to/D1G8nK

The questionnaire will ask you for a WUS Username. You must fill in a WUS Username (ID) for the vote to be valid.
This is just to prevent voting more than once and for the "tire kickers" from influencing the vote when they are not serious about the watch itself.

Round 1 (Simple majority wins)

Movement: Miyota 9015 ($370) -VS- Seiko NH35 ($250)

Logo: MWW text Logo -VS- MWW diamond Logo

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*****ROUND 2 Voting is NOW OPEN*****
*****POLLS CLOSE 10/21 @ 15:00 CST (3PM in Texas)*****

Please use this link to Vote

https://62mashomage.typeform.com/to/Kut9giPlease use this link to keep up to date with the current voting results
https://62mashomage.typeform.com/report/Kut9gi/utPO

1. Please let me apologize to all the people who missed the first survey (and may possibly miss this survey) due to the fact that I originally had indicated that I would be sending the surveys out via email. Hence the reason that I collected emails in the first place. Unfortunately I didn't anticipate the restrictions that Google would put on my account to prevent that from working as anticipated. Apparently they think I am a spammer because of the high volume of emails going and coming. I have tried to find a work-around but I'm not confident in it's reliability so I have stuck with the web form survey as with Round 1. I'm sorry for the confusion.

2. I anticipate that the Round 2 voting will be much closer than round 1. IF the voting is very close to pushing Option B choice over the 70% threshhold I will go back to the "interested" list that I previously published and will pull out the votes of anyone that was not on that list. This will likely upset some people but it is the only way I know to make sure that those that have been on-board with this project from the beginning are able to have their opinion heard.

3. I have a funeral to attend on 10/20 and from around 1800 on 10/19 to 1300 on 10/21 I will be unable to do much updating on the forum regarding the Round 2 voting. I have provided a live link above that you can use to keep up with the results. If one or two of you can "BUMP" this post during that time I would appreciate it.

4. Good luck! I hope the voting goes the direction that you want it to and that you are all able to ultimately participate in this really cool project that MWW is bringing to life for us!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Round 2!

Movement:
Seiko NE15 ($350) -vs- Seiko NH35 ($250)

Logo:
62MAS logo -vs- MWW "diamond" logo

Handset:
62MAS traditional handset -vs- MM300 handset

·
Registered
13,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
UPDATED @ 10/12 09:30 CST

Including Doug and I, we are now at 145 participants in the survey. I am going to temporarily stop collecting names to prep for the surveys.

sashator35
_BC_
24thMED
3Pedals_6Speeds
59yukon01
A4S
Acurry
Acurry
allthetime
alpapilot
Alpineboy
amuthini
Andy Chen
AndyAaron
arlee
artonthewrist
AT1984
atossg
Audi-Watcher
Bane01
BDC
beelim69
BigBluefish
Brigalow
buldogge
cagey5
cerialphreak
Chehran
chesterred
Cirdec
CMA22inc
cretzloff
cuthbert
Dadistic
DaveOBrien
dfirefly
digivandig
dpage
dpeete
dr4ugen
Earl Grey
exc-hulk
fearlessleader
FireMonk3y
fogbound
Fordehouse
Forever8895
futurepx
Gallegoc
germy_wermy
GMT Aviator
gnomedrone
GUYGOLFER
HIPdeluxe
hitaninjaup
Honkylips
hooligansjrs
Hornet99
Horoticus
husonfirst
Inq
Itranslator
Jboston
Jcp311
Jimboz
jjohn73
jmanlay
Jmat321
jupiter6
Karan Kohli
keith88
Kwicksylver
Licu
machlo
Malice 146
MarkND
Mathy
matthew P
maxiang
mega
MiniW
monvmentvm
Mototime
mplsabdullah
msl_laubo
mtbmike
nednil
Newton13
nickyboyo
ninja123
No ID
Onomato
Opensider
Pee Dee
peoplem
Pepcr1
phcollard
Piede
piumach
Poxyhen
prinzaugsburg
psyw
Ptolomeo74
quinten
ReinhardSA
Relo60
Riddim Driven
Roach66
Robbery
rokai2007
rwbug
sabarig
Sampsonti
SdSl
SERJJ
SimpleWatchMan
Skipwilliams
smille76
spekkioxlv
spitfire07
Squall
Stan Lee
studiompd
stusk1
svendsenp
T_biz
taike
Taipan89
Tanjecterly
tc3
tinitini
Tombo62
tommy_boy
Tritto
Ukal
ventura
Visman
watchdoggie
wenghing
xuan87
yflchoy
YODAHAWK
Zumzum5150

·
Banned
1,146 Posts
I'm in. Would love to see a high quality homage - sapphire, dark grey sunray dial like the original, c3 lume, applied markers, big crown, drilled lugs, etc.

I sold my original because I didn't want to deal with acrylic and vintage upkeep. A robust modern version would be great.

·
Registered
13,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm in. Love to see 8 beats a second and 30 BAR WR. Fantastic look.
Seiko doesn't make a lot of 8bps movements through their non branded distribution channels.....ie Seiko 6R15 = Seiko/Epson NE15. They do make the NE20 but i think that has other complications that wont work on the 62MAS.

If someone knows of an option please post.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Damn, with the NTH Azores and now this, I'm going to be really scrounging around for pennies. Does anyone know if sperm banks pay cash for donations. I mean I'm still recovering from the full body transfusion of blood that I donated to pay for the NTH subs. Maybe I can get some cash from selling part of my car title? Nothing can go wrong, right? Right?

·
Registered
13,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great idea! I'm interested, depending on the price (or did I miss the part where op specified a price?).
Price is not yet determined. I think the goal is to be affordable but use as high quality materials as possible.

Doug will work with his factory to get a price range soon.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 2799 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.