WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Looking into a Seiko diver and came across one advertised as a Scuba Pro 6309 450. But I have read that on these forums that the Scubapro 450 was only ever on the 6306 model - so is this an "after-market" dial? The description does not say the dial has been replaced and the dial clearly states 6309. The description does say the case back has been replaced - that is a mismatch as though because the case number starts with 7002. The seller has an excellent rating but I notice the watches sold by him have gone very cheaply considering the models he has been selling. Any advice appreciated - I was going to go for it but after reading a little more I am not convinced it is the right purchase - what do people on WUS think?

I cant link it because my post count is not high enough but it is easily found on ebay with the following description: "Vintage Divers Watch SEIKO SCUBA PRO 450 customised 6309 chain-mail Shark Mesh"

Thanks for any help, thoughts

S

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Well if you can possibly refocus away from vintage you will save yourself a lot in potential disappointment. They can be needy in care, feeding & maintenance.

With the release of the new SRP 777 & it's varying stablemates, you really have a great new option to retain the vintage feel.

The watch you reference already sounds gumped together & troublesome.

Good luck!
TD

Reactions: Darwin

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Hi,

I have a minty 6309; it was properly restored by a watchmaker in UK from a nearly NOS watch.. It has mostly genuine parts but the bezel insert is aftermarket. This was about 300$ 2 years ago but the prices are ever going up. The watch keeps great time and I like it a lot but it is mostly a show piece. I won't swim with it even if the gaskets are all new and changed in 2014. If you want my advice, do as RD said and get a SRP777 to scratch the turtle itch. If you still want to go vintage, fine, but be prepared to spend at least 350$+ for a decent specimen that is historically correct (not a funky colored dial from the Philippines and properly restored movement).

If I did not have my XW Tsunami, I'd get a 777 in a heartbeat before a 6309!

S.

EDIT: I checked your ebay ad.....won't touch that for sure. The seller even lists the watch as "spare/for repairs" and this should raise some red flags! There are probably finer examples of vintage 6309 from the Philippines from the seller Loyswatch; he is somewhat respected and does great restaurations but just be sure you'll get something that looks like a 6309 and not a mod job.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks both - good advice. Going to go for a new Seiko diver just a matter of which one - just hopeless at making up my mind!

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
good call... I had been dying for a turtle diver since I started getting into seiko dive watches last year... but as you discovered finding a non molested one is difficult / expensive (~ish) and then even still it would be hard to risk such a 30+ year old watch in the water.

Since my own fascination w/ dive watches was to actually get in the water with them, I was delighted when I heard about the Turtle reissue watches... they are somewhat different than the original but they capture most of the designs charm along w/ being hackable & handwindable and brand new.

I'm still constantly on the look out for a nice estate sale / pawn shop , ... whatever 6309 find. but I'm quite pleased in the mean time w/ my SRP777 very kewl watch and I can get in the ocean without really sweating it.. very kewl.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts