WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm restoring a Seiko 7546-604A using some case parts & gaskets from a -603A that was a sales sample watch. On both cases, Seiko used what appears to be a plastic (nylon?) tube that sits inside the threaded metal crown tube that the crown screws down to. The plastic tube appears to have an o-ring inside it to seal to the crown/stem, and the plastic tube fits slightly loosly inside the threaded crown tube. Photo to save a thousand more words:

7546-604A_603A-12 by clair_davis, on Flickr

Donor -603A case in the foreground, project -604A case in the background. Does this plastic tube just pop out of the case? Any clues on how it is retained? Both cases have the plastic tube intact, but the -604A is more loose, and the inner gasket has turned in to some sort of rubber paste over time. It does not look like the tube can be pressed out from inside the case as the threaded crown tube has an ID just larger than the stem where it goes through the case. So, the plastic tube appears to be captured by the threaded crown tube somehow. I'd like to restore the water resistance on this watch with as many good new parts as possible, so any clues on how to remove the plastic tube would be greatly appreciated.

Additional pics of the restoration (but not of the tubes) can be found here:
https://www.watchuseek.com/f21/crown-tube-gasket-7546-604a-restoration-901061.html

Thanks,

Clair

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Another opportunity for fresh eyes to catch this thread... I'm guessing this must have been a servicable part, so maybe a lead to some form of service document would shed some light.

Thanks,

Clair

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
How about an image of the inside of the case? Borel lists part no 89997380 "crown gasket holding ring" for both watches, but no image. Stem seals to the tube in question...tube should seal to the case. You might also want to post on the SCWF site. Regards, BG

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BG,
Thanks for the Borel info! I believe that you're right, the o-ring inside the tube seals to the stem, and how the tube seals to the case is the unknown. I assume it's with the o-ring you noted. I'll grab a picture of the inside of the case and post it up, but I don't recall anything particularly unusual about it, other than it was clearly much smaller than the plastic tube.

I think I've resisted registering over at SCWF long enough now... I guess you really can't be a member of too many watch forums!

Thanks again,

Clair

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reactions: jringo8769

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Can't really tell from the images. Two thoughts: use a suitably sized smooth case tube to try and press the plastic sleeve out from the inside of the case. Or order the speculated part...once you receive it, removal/installation may become obvious. Regards, BG

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, BG,
I found a link to a photo online - some material house located in Sweden:

I'll get a couple of these on the way if I can get my Borel account sorted out - waiting on an email back from them now, and confirmation that they're available at all.

Thanks again,

Clair

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
If you have an account with Cas-Ker, they seem to have better capacity to supply Seiko parts. JB is where I found the reference...though listed on their site, part may be unavailable or discontinued. Regards, BG

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's a good idea. I really like the case-parts lookup on JB, but I've had good luck with Cas-Ker recently as well. While I was on JB, I put all the PN's I needed in to the shopping cart function and none of them appeared to be out of stock. If all goes REALLY well, I should have those tubes (and a NOS rotating bezel and insert!!) by the weekend... The stem tube gaskets were disco'd, but I have a bunch of different sizes I picked up from OFrei's that might do the trick. Fingers crossed...

Thanks again for keeping me thinking about all the resources we have!

Clair

1 - 9 of 9 Posts