WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a SKX009 diver on Oct.25th, it's dead. Obviously, it cannot take the shock caused by the shakes. I was trying to wind it to test it's 24hr accuracy, now no matter how hard I shake it, the second hand won't move.

Anyone has the same experience?

The lesson is: don't shake 7S26 too hard! It's a shame, the watch looks fantastic.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
It's not the shaking that matters. I shake mine so violently at times--just to test it, and it has never failed me--in fact all four of my 7s26-based divers have never given me a problem. Where did you buy your watch?

You may have gotten a lemon---or one that has been tinkered with---think about it.

Angelis:think:

·
Registered
472 Posts
Same here, it's been a rock solid watch. I doubt there's ever been a mass-produced watch that has a perfect service record. Regardless, I'm sorry about your Monster.

While not my cup of tea, the Mako seems to be a watch that has been pretty reliable, have you checked them out?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have to say I wind my 7S26 in a pretty violent way, rapid shaking back in forth or rapid circles. It is still running strong.

I treat my 7S26 like I treated my Timex Quartz, i.e. banging it off of things, tossing in on my desk, etc, and it has yet to fail me.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I treat my 7S26 like I treated my Timex Quartz, i.e. banging it off of things, tossing in on my desk, etc, and it has yet to fail me.
LOL, me too! I think that's what the Monster was designed for, heavy use.

·
Registered
83 Posts
It might not be dead...one of my Monsters had the same problem --- the second hand wouldn't move. It turned out that it was getting stuck against the minute hand. My watch repair guy opened the cased made a simple adjustment and it ran perfectly fine afterwards. He didn't even charge me! I gave him a tip anyways... Hope yours is a simple fix like mine was.

I purchased a SKX009 diver on Oct.25th, it's dead. Obviously, it cannot take the shock caused by the shakes. I was trying to wind it to test it's 24hr accuracy, now no matter how hard I shake it, the second hand won't move.

Anyone has the same experience?

The lesson is: don't shake 7S26 too hard! It's a shame, the watch looks fantastic.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Tell us:

Where is the second hand positioned?

Do you hear and feel the rotor spinning as you wind it?

Do you see the second hand jittering from left to right, or is it dead completely?

What may have happened is that the hairspring may have actually dislodged---or even the balance wheel may have been suspended from its action. You need to get the watch opened to see what's going on.

Angelis

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tell us:

Where is the second hand positioned?

Do you hear and feel the rotor spinning as you wind it?

Do you see the second hand jittering from left to right, or is it dead completely?

What may have happened is that the hairspring may have actually dislodged---or even the balance wheel may have been suspended from its action. You need to get the watch opened to see what's going on.

Angelis
The second hand stopped at 40 seconds position. I can hear and feel the rotor spinning when I was shaking it. It is dead completely, not a slight movement can be seen.

Luckily, the watch is still under warranty. I just went to the Seiko store and exchanged for a new one.

I shook it "violently", intending to gather enough power reserve for 24hrs. Here is a picture of how I shook it: I grab the rubber strap as pictures, and shook back/forth as the red arrows indicate.

I think shaking it the way I did can generate quite big shock, something was definitely damaged. For 7S26 with bracelets, you probably won't or can't shake it that hard.

Anyway, I won't shake my Seiko this hard again!

Thanks for your attention.

·
Registered
37 Posts
You can shake it hard, just not the way you were doing it...hold it by the case so it doesn't bang against your hand on every shake.

But really, I don't think you need to shake it hard at all to get the rotor going...

·
Registered
326 Posts
The way I do is : while holding the case horizontally in the hand, I move the hand back and forth from left to right. As such, I assume the rotor is always horizontal.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
You can shake it hard, just not the way you were doing it...hold it by the case so it doesn't bang against your hand on every shake.

But really, I don't think you need to shake it hard at all to get the rotor going...
I agree. The 7s26 rotor spins very easily and does not really require much motion to wind up the watch. I find that if I alternate between a gentle back and forth motion (while holding the case, not hte band, just like Jared suggets) and a slow, circular motion for 3-4 minutes, that gives me at least 24 hours of power reserve.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts