WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just wanted to share some happy news...a little while ago, i brought my black monster for some regulating (it had been at about -7 seconds/day for a couple years) to an authorized seiko dealer in my hometown...he regulated it immediately and in front of me without charging me anything...over the course of the week, i noticed that it'd been slowly gaining in time to about +1 min/day...i brought it back and since it was about due for a service anyway, i paid for a full service...when i got my watch back, the first couple days it ran at about -3 sec/day to -6 sec/day...but after about another week it's settled down to about +/- 0 sec/day! needless to say, i am super stoked!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Whatever you do, do not bump into any large static objects. I suggest wrapping yourself up up in a big ball of cotton wool as you go about your every day business now your watch is running so well. The slightest jolt could possibly make you start to run at +/- 1, possibly even 2 secs a day.
Nice regulation ;)

Reactions: kateygrrl

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
i just wanted to share some happy news...a little while ago, i brought my black monster for some regulating (it had been at about -7 seconds/day for a couple years) to an authorized seiko dealer in my hometown...he regulated it immediately and in front of me without charging me anything...over the course of the week, i noticed that it'd been slowly gaining in time to about +1 min/day...i brought it back and since it was about due for a service anyway, i paid for a full service...when i got my watch back, the first couple days it ran at about -3 sec/day to -6 sec/day...but after about another week it's settled down to about +/- 0 sec/day! needless to say, i am super stoked!
No such thing as + - 0 sec/day. it will creep over time as you've just demonstrated. It won't hurt to exaggerate a bit from time to time though. Not being negative , but practical. My SKX 007 is at the rate of +.5 sec every three day. It creeps slowly judging from the variable positions between seconds hand & minutes hand. As a starter, second H at 12, minute H starts at 12. Slowly a variable difference is noted as both hands do not fall on 12 concurrently. Try observing yours & let us know what happens. I wonder if Gs range would behave similarly. It could be an interesting challenge to see what others watches behave.

·
Registered
331 Posts
As far as I observed my 7S26, it can never be regulated to +/- 0,5s. The movement is not as precise as ETA 2824-2, mine is exactly +5,3 every day if left face up, and even this one was +2,7s one day, then again +5,3s.
And my 7S26 is from -1s to +2s throughout the day, so I don't think it can be regulated any better.
As for +/- 0, I don't think that is possible in a mechanical watch, maybe for a day or two, but even then it would be probably more like +0,3s.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I have two oo7s that keep exceptional time. For a couple of days it appears the time is perfect. But, we all know it's a mechanical movement. After a time mine will gain slightly but then if I take it off over night it will change slightly back to where it was.

·
Registered
242 Posts
7S26 and 7S36 is pretty difficult to have it consistently gain/lose the same amount of time each day. On my 7S36, I'm -4s/day with the crown up, -11s/day with the face up and -7s/day with the crown down. I just wish that the time gain/loss was more consistent.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
The thing about crown up , down, left or right is applicable to vintage watches. As for the new movements, due to the better quality hairsprings, that principle doesn't apply, IMO. Best is to wear your watch 24/7.

·
Registered
242 Posts
The thing about crown up , down, left or right is applicable to vintage watches. As for the new movements, due to the better quality hairsprings, that principle doesn't apply, IMO. Best is to wear your watch 24/7.
That's the thing, the watch position shouldn't affect the consistency of seconds lost/gained for modern watches but it is happening with the 7S movements.

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
That's the thing, the watch position shouldn't affect the consistency of seconds lost/gained for modern watches but it is happening with the 7S movements.
Not just the 7sxx; but all entry level mechanical watches that are undjusted. Yes; even the Standard ETA 2824 will exhibit these traits.

Even COSC testing has to allow for a certain amount of disparity for chronometer grade movements. It's physics and a fact of life.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Since my initial posting, my watch has now lost 54 seconds overall. I blame it on not wrapping myself in a big ball of cotton wool. Since, I am actually not terribly cautious with how I walk, so I've been known to run into various objects--including with my watch. I suppose my glee was a little short-lived, but I was happy while it lasted. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts