WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made this thread to dispel sizing misinformation regarding the Alpinist 2020.

SARB Series Alpinist: SARB013 - SARB015 - SARB017 - SPB089 case width 8pm to 2pm (to avoid the crowns) is 39.5mm (see pic)

Calipers Technology Electronic device Tire Auto part

Prospex Series Alpinist 2020: SPB121J - SPB117J - SPB119J - SPB123J stated case size is 39.5mm

Shock horror! It's because they are the exact same case (discounting the case back) and nothing has changed, you can change bracelets between them because the cases are the same! There has not been a shift from 38mm to 39.5mm, the old alpinist was always 39.5mm it's just many "experts" on youtube can't afford a pair of Chinese digital calipers and therefore confuse the hell out of everyone. The only different dimension is height, which has gone from 12.2mm to around 13.2-13.5mm (I don't own a new one) to accommodate the exhibition case back.

*Mods please move to Seiko forum if required*

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Sorry, I didn't think people cared that much.

Reactions: biff1971

·
Premium Member
23,252 Posts
Seiko is dead to me, until they start adjusting their mechanical movements.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I like the new ones much better.

However, can they not make both crowns screw down? Makes no sense to have the secondary crown accidentally move, ruins the whole point of the watch.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I like the new ones much better.

However, can they not make both crowns screw down? Makes no sense to have the secondary crown accidentally move, ruins the whole point of the watch.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
The crown for the inner dial does not affect the WR of the movement. Accidental movements dont matter as it is a solar compass.

Sent from my rotary phone using Crapatalk

·
Registered
559 Posts
Thank you for this information. Was late to the Alpinist party so settled for the 2020 Alpinist when it is available at my local dealer and was earlier wondering if a strapcode bracelet could fit it. Now i know it is possible. Thank you very much once again.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Thank you for this. I've been trying to figure out sizing of a future purchase and the Alpinist is the closest in size to it. Having spent a fair amount of time trying to garner size spec and see it in comparison to other Seiko models, I didn't come to a conclusive answer.

Any chance you could provide the lug tip to lug tip? Also, have you an SKX/turtle/mini turtle that you could show side by side, if it's not too much trouble? - Either I've got worse at getting what I want out of search engines/serch functions, or they've gotten more useless!

·
Premium Member
6,662 Posts
They pick an iconic watch that wasn't broke to begin with, increase the thickness, add a cyclops, leave the movement completely untouched and expect people to pay extra for it because it now has an X on the dial??

Probably best the 033/035 stays dead

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
It has a new movement.

Reactions: Achtungz

·
Premium Member
23,252 Posts
Seiko is dead to you yet you're still an active poster here.

Right.

Gotcha.
This thread was moved from the public forum to the Seiko subforum. But, it's perhaps more accurate to say that Seiko isn't getting any more of my money, and I've sold all my Seikos except for one which has sentimental value to me.

·
Premium Member
6,662 Posts
Which still functions like the old one but with 20 additional hours of inaccurate timekeeping.

To each his own though.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
"leave the movement completely untouched"

I'm not attempting to hinder your ability to sling snark but at least get the details right.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I bought the good old green dial/goal hands after the announcement it had been discontinued and still think it's one of the best interpretations of the model. Plus, it was a hellva lot cheaper than the new ones. Thanks for the dimensions check tho.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

1 - 20 of 32 Posts