WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably the most beautiful Alpinist, at least in my humble opinion ...

The colors work very well on this watch: emerald green, gold, cream, stainless steel, touch of red and brown (strap).

This is the third SARB017 I've owned ... keeps drawing me back :-d

The emerald green dial is very hard to capture ...

The overall quality of the watch is superb for the price point - it is highly polished with some very fine brushing on the topside of the lugs.

The stock leather strap is very stiff and not comfortable. I switched it immediately and replaced it with a dark brown (cream contrast stitching) croc strap that makes a world of difference. |>

The new Alpinists offered by Seiko are a disappointment IMHO. Hopefully this one is a keeper. They are discontinued and rarely show up on the sales forums.

Enjoy!

SARB017

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I was really tempted by the black model but decided that I didn't like the compass function. I dislike useless "complications" (if you can call that a complication) like that and would prefer the cleaner face that would result if the compas stuff were removed. Otherwise, it's a terrific watch.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had the black dial (SARB015) - very nice; however, it wasn't me. I felt there was something lacking on the dial ... couldn't put my finger on it.

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,282 Posts
Great photos! I've wanted one of these for a couple of years, but for some reason i resist pulling the trigger. At times i think it is a really beautiful watch, other times i'm not so sure. Perhaps you have had similar conflicting thoughts, given that you have owned the watch 3 times? In any case it's certainly unique, and with alot of history behind it. Btw, i didn't think they were discontinued yet, i thought i saw it still in the latest Seiko catalogue, along with those strange new ones. They have been around for a long time for a Seiko model though, so it wouldn't surprise me.

·
Registered
8,723 Posts
Great pictures, John. You're right that the dial is hard to capture but you've done a great job. It's no secret I'm a huge fan of this watch, it really is beautifully designed and made and a wonderful homage to the Rolex Explorer without being a slavish copy. Have to ask where you got the strap, it looks perfect.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Happy New Year Olly,

You can get this strap from Fredawatch straps - HR Caiman Croc 2012 - very soft and has speed pins ... good price @$85.

All the best in 2011 :)

John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts