WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of us know that the holy grail Seiko Alpinist is the titanium limited teal colored SBCJ023, only made 500 in around 2003.

Currently (well, maybe sold now) for sale on Reddit is a complete set (box, papers) for above US$ 5000

Anyone have been following the auction of the junk Seiko Alpinist SSASS?

It was offered for sale as "junk".
As listed:
Due to a defective crown, the date and time cannot be set.
The operation has not been confirmed.
Lot of scratches throughout.

No bracelet, no strap, no papers, no box, disputable back (no ###/500 printed on the back)

Sale price, if you calculate import duties and tax, was about US$ 2300 for this (see pictures below).

Now, was this a good deal?
Anyone think could (or should) prep the case back to its original glory (if that can be done anyway with titanium with this many scratches)?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I have one of these already and I'm amazed how the prices have appreciated over the past few years.

I saw that auction and was surprised at the price it sold for. The challenge in the repair is likely the crown. The screw down crown is not easy to replace and if it really is broken then good luck in repairing it as the crown and stem should be a one piece set. The pics did not show what the issue with the crown would be but I can only best assume it got rusted and broke off.

-Brian

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have one of these already and I'm amazed how the prices have appreciated over the past few years.

I saw that auction and was surprised at the price it sold for. The challenge in the repair is likely the crown. The screw down crown is not easy to replace and if it really is broken then good luck in repairing it as the crown and stem should be a one piece set. The pics did not show what the issue with the crown would be but I can only best assume it got rusted and broke off.

-Brian
Steep price for such a battered watch.
Repair would well be a real challange, maybe impossible. Quite a gamble.
Maybe the buyer just bought it for the dial and will swap with a black or cream dialed donor watch?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.