WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Im new to the forum here so pardon me if I've started a thread thats already elsewhere. Anyhoo I just recently got into watches and am trying to learn as much as I can. Current watch collection is a Tissot V8 (yea average) and a Bulova Precisionist Champlain (ok not for everyone & not so refined but I like the novel movement & accuracy. Plus its great as a casual watch)

Anyway for a long while now I have had my eyes on the Seiko Ananta. I personally like big watches and the Ananta with its large face & japanese Katana inspired styling is truly amazing. It has a bold striking presence on the wrist yet is not completely devoid of refinement (much like me hehe)

Anyway Im currently saving up to buy one (a long while away between supporting a family & saving up for a house). I just wondered what peoples opinion were on whether I should get the automatic or the Springdrive GMT. Now personally I love the springdrive and for me it combines the beauty of both mechanical & quartz watches (although a synic might say it combines the worst of both). My only question is is this springdrive going to be around or will it disappear into history much like those Bulova tuning forks? Will it retain its value and appeal in the future when perhaps the technology is superceded. I guess being almost twice the price of an automatic is it really a worth while purchase in the long run. I know there will always be a market for autos given the history, craftmenship etc but what about this springdrive? Be interested to hear peoples opinions.

Thanks

·
Registered
176 Posts
The SD movements have been around since the late 90's as limited production and became more available around 2005/2006. I don't think they are going anywhere. I have a couple SD movements from 2006 that still run within +1.5 seconds per month. I currently own the Ananta SD GMT and previously owned Ananta Auto Chrono (8R28). My recommendation is to go for the SD movements.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I have an Ananta SD Chrono LE. There is nothing else in the world like Spring Drive. If you're getting one Seiko, make it a SD. If you're getting another, get an Ananta or GS auto.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
SPRING DRIVE hands down!

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
I'm not a fan of Spring Drive. It takes an already complicated movement (mechanical) and complicates it further by adding quartz componentry. It increases cost for no benefit over a quartz movement. The appeal to me of mechanical movements is that they are old fashioned, antiquated, obsolete, analog, and mechanical. SD is none of these. The appeal to me of quartz is that they are cheap, robust, and rugged. SD is none of these.

If it were my money, it would be an auto, no question. But watch collecting is not a logical hobby (if it were nobody would own mechanicals!) so I completely understand that some people love SD for it's Rube Goldberg properties!

Reactions: GreenHex

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some very nice points Jason. And I guess being almost twice the price it does make me wonder... On the other hand personally I appreciate the fact that they've stuck the quartz in place of a traditional Balance wheel & Hairspring assembly. I quite like the fact that a quartz is as pure a resonater as one can get in a wrist watch. Even if you look at atomic watches I believe the base movement is in fact a quartz movement which is merely corrected every so often. But then I guess why not get a pure quartz watch? Problem there is there isnt the same level of craftsmenship associated with quartz watches...I like quartz because I see it as a natural progression with time keeping and the solution of using a quartz for regulating the time keeping is much simpler, cheaper, more precise and perhaps more elegant in some ways (Whoa man I can expect some flak for that one). For me any solution which functions better and is much simpler to implement is logically the more elegant...But then again I do appreciate the craftmenship and the attention to details that goes in a mechanical watch and all those little bits and pieces working together in harmony is truly a work of art. Hence why I believe for me the springdrive combines the beautiful aspects of both and why Im probably leaning towards one...But you have succeeded in placing some doubts Jason...Thanks :-/

Reactions: myke

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
Look, if you are leaning towards the SD, you should get one to try it out. Buy used, and you won't lose much if you flip it.

One more thing to consider though. For the price of an SD, you can get a very nice auto as well as a high quality quartz of some kind.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good point. Each is different. Each has its own unique charm. Perhaps fusing them together (even if it is the best part of either) takes away some of the charms and quirks associated with each. I can always appreciate my mechanical for the craftsmenship and appreciate my quartz for its innovative & elegant solution to timekeeping. Actually I have a Bulova Precisionist from the champlain range at the moment. Its the one with the Titanium case & the "ordura ballistic strap" It mightn't have the design refinement or attention to detail of a lot of watches but its great as a casual watch and I love the novel movement of the second hand. Also keeping a heck of a lot better time than my V8. Again I admire the simplicity of having a third prong and a high frequency movement instead of having some form of aggressive thermocompensation. It might not be quite as stable but I like it and plan o keeping it. So perhaps an Auto. Ananta would be the perfect compliment to it. Two very different watches. Still thinking but thanks for providing a different point of view Jason. Hey I just realised your from Perth. Im from Brisbane :)

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
i recently purchased a one year old ananta spring drive moonphase. I agree with a previous post. buy a second hand watch. My moonphase has a MSRP of 5700 dollars. I bought it used for 2900 tax and duty in, It is near mint. I can only say one thing . i am in awe. The quality attention to detail and craftsman ship make this something i will have forever

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I have two SD and probably won't go back to mechanical.

Brought this "old" model for I believe it uses the same movement of the GS chrono

Love the look and finishing..for sure it is very personal.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi again. Thanks all for those insightful comments. Ive decided to get an automatic once I've saved up enough money (for now anyway). I do like the springdrive but whether its worth twice as much I don't know. I'd imagine servicing would be more costly in the long run as well. Thanks all. Now if I can just get this v8 movement issue I have sorted I should be alright. If anyone here knows about eta movements could you be so kind as to hop onto the Tissot forum and reply to my "Tissot V8 show me the light...) thread.

Thanx

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an Ananta SD Chrono LE. There is nothing else in the world like Spring Drive. If you're getting one Seiko, make it a SD. If you're getting another, get an Ananta or GS auto.
|>|>|>|>|>|>|>

I have one too; sharing the photos below :)
1.JPG Coming with a nice special case.

3.JPG

4.JPG

2.JPG
It also has a titanium metal bracelet coming with it.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Get the SD Ananta. I have 2 SD's and they blow everything else in my collection away with accuracy. They are a unique movement, far from being quartz and and much closer to being mechanical, but can not be classified as either. Just leading edge next level stuff.

·
Registered
768 Posts
i was in a same situation a year ago, choosing between automatic and SD Ananta, but it didn't take too long after I realised that there's really no competiton betweent those two. SD is only way to go.

·
Registered
44 Posts
i was in a same situation a year ago, choosing between automatic and SD Ananta, but it didn't take too long after I realised that there's really no competiton betweent those two. SD is only way to go.
Same for me there is nothing better than SD. I own the ananta Chrono GMT. In my possession swiss watches but they can not compete ananta.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My issue with SD is the cost premium and overcomplication. Now, I don't think reliability will be an issue with a Seiko, but you're still paying a lot more money for a super accurate watch - but are Seiko's higher-end auto movements really that inaccurate? Absolutely not.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hi There

I have an Ananta SD GMT and the SD Chrono GMT... (July+Sep 2011)

I've always been an Auto man but wanted accuracy (thank Rolex for this my first expensive watch was an OP Datejust which was all over the place).

I am continually impressed with my Ananta SDs to the point that my watch collecting stalled for nearly a year - nothing else has caught my intention :(

I do get the point about complexity - but if it goes wrong, I sure won't be fixing it, SD or Auto :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts