WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1481 - 1500 of 1545 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
So I was browsing this thread a couple days ago, late at night and after seeing some gorgeous pictures I decided to purchase a 025....I already own a 027.

Another day passes and I purchase some shrouds, one in stainless for the 027 and one in gunmetal for 025. Another day passes and I prepare the 027.

Can anyone tell the difference between the two pictures beside the 10 o'clock crown unscrewed in the first picture?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Good eyes! I was never a fan of the shiny bits. I did a slow gentle brush to the lugs, buttons, crown and screws...also did the bezel with same grit for good measure.

The finish looks rough in the macro photos but in real life and to the naked eye it has a nice satin/brush finish. I am generally rough on my watches so I wasn't too concerned with getting a machine like finish.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
If only they weren’t made in China...
With a statement like that, I can only assume your collection contains very high end Seikos—because only 8L Seikos, 9S, 9R and 9F Grand Seikos are completely made in Japan.

Grand Seiko Arnie Reissue would be bold, though I'm pretty sure you'd replace"…made in China…" with "…so expensive…"

I might actually buy one if it were a Spring Drive Ani-Digi cause it'd be crazy cool and crazy expensive.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Pretty amazing how the ignore feature works on the forum. :ROFLMAO:
Overall a generally unhelpful post by me I suppose. Not trying to offend, but if you were I’m at a loss. I like these watches. I just wish they were made elsewhere. And for expressing my opinion you would suggest the right course of action is to ignore me? I thought this was a place to discuss the watches, our likes and dislikes. Shutting out differing opinions creates an echo chamber and we’re worse for it.

With a statement like that, I can only assume your collection contains very high end Seikos—because only 8L Seikos, 9S, 9R and 9F Grand Seikos are completely made in Japan.

Grand Seiko Arnie Reissue would be bold, though I'm pretty sure you'd replace"…made in China…" with "…so expensive…"

I might actually buy one if it were a Spring Drive Ani-Digi cause it'd be crazy cool and crazy expensive.

Nothing high end here. I’m a recent enthusiast inspired by inheriting my dad’s 7009-8079. To me “Seiko” was always very specifically synonymous with “made in Japan”. Let’s just say it was a rude awakening for me to learn that watches marked “Japan” are often cased in China, or made entirely there. My collection is a modest one consisting of Dad’s 7009, a 20yo SKX173, a new STO “great white” turtle, and a G-Shock that is reminiscent of the one Dad wore when I was a kid. The 173 says Movt Singapore on the dial (which I only learned well after the purchase, assumptions at work there), the turtle says Movt Japan, but I am left to assume they are not assembled in Japan. My G-shock was made in Thailand, happily. I’m just extraordinarily disappointed at the extent to which everything seems to be made there. It’s a feeling of fatigue and exasperation built up since I was younger when my tools, clothes, and etc. were all made in the States. And then I became aware of politics, into which I won’t delve here. Suffice to say I would rather support other countries with my meager dollars.

Enough of that. These Arnies need a CDT! But I like em anyway.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I’m just extraordinarily disappointed at the extent to which everything seems to be made there. It’s a feeling of fatigue and exasperation built up since I was younger when my tools, clothes, and etc. were all made in the States. And then I became aware of politics, into which I won’t delve here. Suffice to say I would rather support other countries with my meager dollars.

Enough of that. These Arnies need a CDT! But I like em anyway.
Thanks for your explanation. I think your one liner came off trollish without the details, thus the blowback.

I can certainly empathize with your fatigue. What used to be standard is now luxury and priced as such. It can be really hard to find value and authenticity.

I've complained about the Arnie having Hardlex, but it's honestly not that big of a deal in day to day wearing. Its easy to get fixated on what or how it should be, and not what it is. What it is is a fun throwback watch.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The IPhone is made in China and people are queuing up for them lol.
A lot of the stuff made in Italy and Europe is now made by imported Chinese workers in factories and plants that were formerly crewed by citizens of that particular country. China can and does make some pretty decent stuff, actually. Remember, Japan and Hong Kong made stuff used to be looked at with disdain in the 50's and 60's. I'm far from being a China Fanboi, I'm just calling it the way it is.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Got the black 025 in the mail to compliment the 027....already brushed the lugs, crown, buttons, shroud screws and bezel. Came out pretty good, looks rougher in the macro shot but again looks lovely to the naked eye with a nice satin finish. Now I'm just waiting for the stainless shrouds to come in mail.

1481 - 1500 of 1545 Posts