Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

These models will release early 2019

Movement: 5X53 Dual time.
Diameter: 42.9 mm
Thickness: 12.9mm

Bracelet and clasp

The bracelet is new but the big story is the new clasp with hidden micro adjustments in 3 steps.

By pressing the push-buttons it’s possible to extend the bracelet in 3 steps equivalent to a clasp with 3 micro adjustments holes. The bracelet can be compressed without pressing the buttons. Hopefully this new thin adjustable clasp will make its way to the Prospex and GS families as well.

SSH001 & SSH003

003 and 003 are regular production models in titanium.

SSH003 (Black)

The new case is really nice and a lot slimmer and more agile than the previous Astron models. When I met the developers in October 2017 they said they are working hard to get the Astron sizes down and the new case doesn’t disappoint.

SSH001 (blue)

The blue shifts nicely depending on light conditions, as usual with SEIKOs blue.

SAH006 (Black/gold)

The limited edition 006 comes in a fitted silicone strap with a adjustable folding clasp. The strap fits snugly against the case and the adjustments is very easy to get right. I can’t say I’m a fan of the lint magnet silicone but the combo is very comfortable.

On the wrist

Trying in watches without movements and without adjusting the bracelets isn’t ideal but the size is nice and the weight is of course extremely light since these are prototypes. The new titanium case is extremely wearable. The back of the case is chamfered and polished, as is common with SEIKO models.

The 006 fits best of the three for me and I would probably go for a bracelet version then swap out the bracelet for a strap if I was in the market for a GPS-watch. The 006 comes with a regular case so the strap can easily be swapped for something else.

Conclusion
I usually don’t review prototypes so I tried to concentrate this write up on photos and first impressions. I really like the new case and this is the first time an Astron model has actually felt like a sensible option for me. The size is just right and the lug shapes are lovely. The model that impressed me the most was surprisingly the 006, I just love the color combo and the integrated strap is extremely comfortable. I would love to see a steel case with the same gold accent colors.

I dont know if a clasp alone alone is worth buying a watch for, but it’s sure been a long time coming. SEIKO would be crazy not to use this clasp throughout the mid and high range models.

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
Re: SEIKO Astron SSH001 SSH003 & SSH006 pictorial

Nice looking watches I don't suppose you know the lug to lug length?

Sent from my K92 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
Re: SEIKO Astron SSH001 SSH003 & SSH006 pictorial

I almost bought one from that model line but, instead went for a couple watches of lower cost...
I might have to revisit those..

Sent from my K92 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
567 Posts
Really nice looking bracelet. I knew Seiko had it in them. Lol.

Thanks for posting these!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: huangcjz

·
Registered
98 Posts
Good looking watches. My favourite astron is the stratosphere, I just love that huge dome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Thank you for the presentation and photos! Seiko did a great job at shrinking the case. I particularly like the shape of hands, but not sure about the double-populated bezel.

Don't forget that the 42.9mm diameter vaule is bezel diameter (excluding the crown). My 8x22 Astron has an official diameter of 44.8mm, yet overall width is above 50mm.

Great watch, but not compelling enough to upgrade my 8x22.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts