WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Loved the watch as soon as it arrived. After 2 months or so, I went into the ocean with it for the first time. After wearing it 24/7 since buying it, it stopped running at 2:42 am. I can advance the hands, shake it, and it will run another 60 seconds or so before coming to a complete stop (usually with the second hand in the 10 pm to 11 pm position). Is this a fake? There does not appear to be any condensation that would indicate a breach where water might have entered. No response from Pokemonyu when I e-mailed them. I paid $159 (including postage to U.S. from Singapore). Was I taken? Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

- Paul ([email protected])<|

·
Registered
82 Posts
Re: Seiko Black Monster: Bad Experience with Pokeymonyu on e-Bay

I'm sorry to hear that your watch died, but how is this Pokemonyu's fault? Your message title implies that he did something wrong. You ordered a watch, he sent it, and it quit a few months later. Bad stuff happens. All the time.

PM is one of the few "good guys" selling new Seikos on eBay. He can be slow to answer e-mails sometimes, and there was some kind of holiday in some Asian countries earlier in the week (I know the Shanghai stock market and several others were closed for a couple of days.)

I haven't seen your watch, but I sincerely doubt that it is a fake. As I'm sure you know, most of the watches Pokemonyu sells are Asian-market watches, so Seiko USA won't fix them in warranty. You'll probably have to send it back to Pokemonyu or directly to Seiko, but it should have a 1 year warranty.

--Les

·
Registered
368 Posts

Just to confirm, is this the original Black Monster to which you are referring? Or the Black Land Monster (SNM035)?

·
Registered
10,604 Posts

It's not the seller's fault, and Pokemonyu doesn't sell fakes. Seiko makes great products, but the law of averages says sooner or later a bad one will slip out. Happens with every brand. As others have said, you can send it overseas for warranty work, but you'll likely be without the watch for weeks if not months. If it were me, I'd find a local watchmaker and have him check it out first. It's quite possible that it's a simple issue with the movement that could be corrected for very little cost. There's also a Seiko Company Store in the St. Augustine outlet malls on I-95. They don't have anyone that could work on the watch, but they may be of some help if you want to send it to Seiko USA for a repair estimate.

Sorry to hear of your trouble, but if it's any consolation, this will likely be the only problem you'll ever have with a Seiko watch.

EDIT: This jeweler in St. Augustine is owned by a watch repairman & is the only place in town that does all repairs in house: http://www.bluewater-jewelers.com. Regardless of how this problem turns out, it's always good to get to know a local 'watch guy'. Couldn't hurt to stop by and see what he says about the problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Pokemonyu sold 150.000 watches on Ebay with turnaround about 20 milions USD. He had over 50.000 customers. I bought two Seikos from him and was very satisfied.

·
Registered
8 Posts

I would find a watchmaker and have him take a look at it. Here is a link to find certified watchmakers and/or repair facilities near you: http://www.watch-clock-makers.org/

·
Registered
1,178 Posts

Just got my buzzsaw last night when I got home from work.

Perfect in every way- Thank you Pokey!

Sorry to hear about your issue's with your watch PV, but it doesn't seem right to blame Pokey, as he just sells quality merchandise for great prices.

If this wasn't the case, you wouldn't have bought from him.

As said earlier, it will problably be a simple fix and you'll have a lifetime of use from your watch.

Ricehead

·
Registered
1,800 Posts

No, you were not "taken." But as with everything, "you get what you pay for."

There are many who have had positive experiences with the seller you used, but he has had plenty of negative press, too.

This is precisely the reason I never buy grey market. It is not worth the aggravation.

Better luck next time.|>

·
Registered
1,836 Posts

Sounds like your Monster slipped through QC. The second hand is rubbing the minute hand. That's why it stops around 60sec on more or less the same spot. The second hand dropped down/bent or the minute hand is warped/tipped up.

Nothing wrong with the movement. Have a watchmaker fix it. Or kindly request for an exchange.

·
Registered
90 Posts

I bought a Omonster and a seiko "racer" white face with red timing section, from PM. Do ask him about an exchange/repair or perhaps it needs to mailed to a warrenty center. I would go thru the Ebay email system. i hope it works out for you:-!

Sounds like your Monster slipped through QC. The second hand is rubbing the minute hand. That's why it stops around 60sec on more or less the same spot. The second hand dropped down/bent or the minute hand is warped/tipped up.

Nothing wrong with the movement. Have a watchmaker fix it. Or kindly request for an exchange.

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
I have changed the title of this thread to remove the unwarranted negative reference to the seller. Without knowing why your watch has stopped, there is no way to say whether the cause was inherent to manufacturing or any other reason. Assigning fault to a seller for a watch that worked perfectly for 2 months of constant use, is out of line. Who's to say that the cause might not be an accidental bump on your part that you might not have noticed?

The only thing we know for sure is that something is wrong with your watch. My advice is for you to contact one of the forum watchmakers to have a quick look. A word of advice, if the repair work starts approaching $75, consider sourcing a replacement movement. New, working 7s26 movements can be sourced for around $30 (+/- a bit), so it might be more cost effective to just replace the movement rather than pay the labor costs to fix it.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bad luck; but in defense of the BM................I've had mine for about a month now; it's been in the ocean once, and the pool multiple times; been on my wrist just about 24/7 with no problems..........it's a great watch:-!..........good luck with the repairs.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts

Thats what it sounds like to me as well.. if that's the case it is a cheap fix.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Take it to a shop and have it check. Sometime you can get problem with even a Seiko. Back in the 80's I picked up a new 6139. Had it back to the shop 6 or 8 times. Every few days it would stop for 30 minute or an hour. Worked great in the shop. After many return trips the watch repairman was happy to tell me he found a loose screw. Not even a half turn. The watch has never been back in the shop and still keeps great time - and the stop watch still returns 12, like new. I have 8 other Seikos that have never been in a shop - one is 33 years old.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I too own a couple of Seiko's and have not yet had a bas experience. In my experience the Seiko brand delivers watches with great value for the money.

I think that the topicstarter just had bad luck. Hope everything turns out ok and that you can enjoy your watch in the future like i do with mine.

Greetings from the Netherlands,

Joram.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts