WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
  • Hello WatchUSeek! We are hosting an Ask Me Anything with Ian Schon of Schon Horology and Schon DSNG beginning on Tuesday, February 23rd at Noon, EST and closing on Thursday, February 25th at Noon EST. If you don't know of him, Ian is a desginer maker and was a senior product designer at IDEO. He is an engineer, designer and machinist who manufacturers his own watches, and also pens! If you've ever wanted to ask a question directly to a one-man watch maker, don't miss out! You can find the AMA here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the Cocktail Time from Seiya. Fabulous looking watch. The leather strap isn't stiff too, contrary to what I've read online. I love it but there is just one thing... there seems to be a strand of hair (or maybe a crack) on the dial, between the 1 and 2 o'clock markers. Its not that visible under normal lightning, but shine a bright light from the side and it becomes very visible. I know there have been issues with dents near above the date window, but this is something new. Has anyone heard of this before?

Now considering if I should send it back. Shipping isn't cheap. What do you guys think. Would you send it back?

The pictures below aren't the best quality. What I see under bright light from the side is a very fine but distinct strand of hair or crack on the dial.

Attachments

·
Registered
446 Posts
That's a little large, thus it may always bother you. Send it back if it does. Can you confirm if it is a loose particle, vs a crack?

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
In my opinion, now that you know it is there, it will always bother you. I would work out sending her back for a new one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
If it's a crack/mark - send it back. If it's hair/dust - it's trivial for a watchmaker to remove the back, pull the movement, blow some air on it, and reassemble. If you lived near me, I'd do it for you for free in about 10 min. Worth asking a local jeweler/watchmaker what the cost is (~$20??) and compare that to shipping.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
If it's a crack/mark - send it back. If it's hair/dust - it's trivial for a watchmaker to remove the back, pull the movement, blow some air on it, and reassemble. If you lived near me, I'd do it for you for free in about 10 min. Worth asking a local jeweler/watchmaker what the cost is (~$20??) and compare that to shipping.
+1

Have it done via your local guy, it is a piece of cake to remove this with an air puffer. Since this is not a dive watch, no pressure test necessary. I've done this about 2-3 times on cheaper watches, takes about 10 minutes so you wont have to ship this back to Japan.

If it is a crack, it is definitely going back though...

Good luck!

S.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
+1

Have it done via your local guy, it is a piece of cake to remove this with an air puffer. Since this is not a dive watch, no pressure test necessary. I've done this about 2-3 times on cheaper watches, takes about 10 minutes so you wont have to ship this back to Japan.

If it is a crack, it is definitely going back though...

Good luck!

S.
I've squinted at it for some time now, and I don't think it's a hair or loose particle. Looks more like a scratch or fine dent. Still thinking if it bothers me enough to go through the hassls of sending it back. Will check how much it costs to ship...

Here's a better pic.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Back if a crack, if hair use nair... ;-).

Just kidding, if hair, let your local guy fix it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've had two Seikos with this hair problems! These guys haven't heard of hairnets? But they were low tier Seikos, under $150, so it didn't bother me so much since everything else was aligned perfectly, so I keep it. Here is my SKX007 with the hair at the 12min marker! It isn't really noticeable just under the sun or very bright light.. I would say return it ASAP it will bother you always!

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've had two Seikos with this hair problems! These guys haven't heard of hairnets? But they were low tier Seikos, under $150, so it didn't bother me so much since everything else was aligned perfectly, so I keep it. Here is my SKX007 with the hair at the 12min marker! It isn't really noticeable just under the sun or very bright light.. I would say return it ASAP it will bother you always!
I found the pic of the other one that had the same hair problem.. It's a SNZF17 or sea urchin..this was worse and it did bothered me, I've had since sold it..

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I took the watch to a local Seiko service center. At first glance the lady told it was a fiber and could be removed on the spot within 20 minutes. Well 20 minutes later she came out with my watch and told me, sorry it's not a strand of fiber, it's a scratch on the dial.

So I've gotta send it back to Seiya now. Going to ask him to send a new one to me immediately once he received my unit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts