WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Wow, I never thought I would see the day the cocktail time, would have a homage... But I have to admit, it's a very nice looking watch. Great job on the video, and thanks for sharing. :-!

·
Registered
12,626 Posts
Wow, I never thought I would see the day the cocktail time, would have a homage... But I have to admit, it's a very nice looking watch. Great job on the video, and thanks for sharing. :-!
The Casio F91 is homaged.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I don't know how much of a price/spec difference is but I would think that in the case of a watch as affordable as the cocktail time that it would make more sense to buy the "real deal" and get the brand prestige etc. That being said it looks like a good piece.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Well done review. It appears that Pagani did a remarkably good job creating the same dial effect as the originial - which makes me believe that it really was not that elaborate or expensive for Seiko to do. I have the original but I wish it had the same dimensions as the Pagani. The crystal style and the bracelet on the Pagani also looks superior to me. Assuming that Pagani is turning a profit on these at the current prices, it confirms something I always knew - that the Seiko cocktail time (especially the 4rxx Presages) are ridiculously over-priced. All Pagani needs to do is add a 4rxx and a sapphire, charge an extra $50, and watch these fly out the door.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Well done review. It appears that Pagani did a remarkably good job creating the same dial effect as the originial - which makes me believe that it really was not that elaborate or expensive for Seiko to do. I have the original but I wish it had the same dimensions as the Pagani. The crystal style and the bracelet on the Pagani also looks superior to me. Assuming that Pagani is turning a profit on these at the current prices, it confirms something I always knew - that the Seiko cocktail time (especially the 4rxx Presages) are ridiculously over-priced. All Pagani needs to do is add a 4rxx and a sapphire, charge an extra $50, and watch these fly out the door.
Well, the serrations on the dial don't look nearly as fine as the cocktail. The indices (if they're even applied) aren't nearly as nice and are have one facet to them. I doubt the polishing on the hands and indices are to the same quality. The case metal and polish is not to Seiko quality. The hardlex on the PD is not domed, it's beveled. The movement is a sea-gull compared to a 6R15... and let's not forget the Seiko is made all in-house.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Well actually, the Seiko SRPB053/SARY075 is an homage to the Seiko SARB065 Cocktail Time Cool. (Sorry, I had to say it.)
Isn't the Presage just the newer international version rather than a homage? After all, it's still called a Presage cocktail time.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Well actually, the Seiko SRPB053/SARY075 is an homage to the Seiko SARB065 Cocktail Time Cool. (Sorry, I had to say it.)
Isn't the Presage just the newer international version rather than a homage? After all, it's still called a Presage cocktail time.
Nope. Seiko is very intentionally not calling the Presage models "Cocktail Time" because that is name specifically used in the collaboration with Shinobu Ishigaki, possibly named by him. Instead, Seiko says "cocktail inspired" in all of the sales and marketing literature for the Presage models which makes it an official homage. However, fans immediately assumed otherwise and now everyone thinks that is the official name. Sellers, reviewers and YouTubers perpetuating this misnomer hasn't helped, either. Ultimately, it is inconsequential and the semantics only bother a small minority of pedants like myself.

Fan naming is often not the most careful. Using SKX and SARB (also SNK and SNE) as the name of a model or two ignores all the other models using those prefixes. The "Starfish" name never carried over to the SKX171 even though it is more similar to the 7002 and AGS Starfish models than the SKZ Starfish and Solar Starfish.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Thanks for taking the time and putting a video together! I’m looking forward to more of your reviews!

In terms of the watch I might pick a blue dial on strap it’s not bad at all for the price and who knows this might even lead me to buying the actual cocktail time.

It’s nice to see pagani venture outside the TAG design book. Maybe they can make a $50 version of the turtle or monster lololol!

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
It's funny how much opinions differ. I was all onboard with this watch, especially the different colorways until I saw the size. 43mm?!? On a watch that is ALL dial?!?

I honestly wish the SARB065 was 39mm maybe even 38. If Pagani had done that, I would definitely be in. I feel like my cocktail time wears large as it is, and can't even imagine it in 43mm guise.

My other problem is that I immediately associate pagani with the zonda, and that is a thing of beauty that is not easily lived up to.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
259 Posts
43 is pretty huge. With the design, it's going to wear big as well. The crystal profile is also quite angular from the video. The sarb065 has a rounded crystal edge.

The case design has even more dial to case proportion compared to the 65, making the watch larger.

Of course it's in the homage territory so not expecting 1 to 1 , just things I noticed right away.i think they got the dial effect down though

·
Registered
467 Posts
Nope. Seiko is very intentionally not calling the Presage models "Cocktail Time" because that is name specifically used in the collaboration with Shinobu Ishigaki, possibly named by him. Instead, Seiko says "cocktail inspired" in all of the sales and marketing literature for the Presage models which makes it an official homage. However, fans immediately assumed otherwise and now everyone thinks that is the official name. Sellers, reviewers and YouTubers perpetuating this misnomer hasn't helped, either. Ultimately, it is inconsequential and the semantics only bother a small minority of pedants like myself.

Fan naming is often not the most careful. Using SKX and SARB (also SNK and SNE) as the name of a model or two ignores all the other models using those prefixes. The "Starfish" name never carried over to the SKX171 even though it is more similar to the 7002 and AGS Starfish models than the SKZ Starfish and Solar Starfish.
I stand corrected. Thanks for the info! |>

·
Registered
467 Posts
It's funny how much opinions differ. I was all onboard with this watch, especially the different colorways until I saw the size. 43mm?!? On a watch that is ALL dial?!?

I honestly wish the SARB065 was 39mm maybe even 38. If Pagani had done that, I would definitely be in. I feel like my cocktail time wears large as it is, and can't even imagine it in 43mm guise.

My other problem is that I immediately associate pagani with the zonda, and that is a thing of beauty that is not easily lived up to.

Agreed. Haha, so funny because I was just thinking how HUGE the watch looked in the video when he put it on his wrist.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Hi. Lip seems to do their own Cocktail "inspired" watch. Anyway, it seems quite similar to me. At $416, the Lip Himalaya actually costs a bit more than you can find the Seiko for.
40 mm with a Miyota 821A movement.

montre-671581-lip-himalaya.jpg

·
Registered
467 Posts
Hi. Lip seems to do their own Cocktail "inspired" watch. Anyway, it seems quite similar to me. At $416, the Lip Himalaya actually costs a bit more than you can find the Seiko for.
40 mm with a Miyota 821A movement.

View attachment 13367577
Hmmm a homage that costs more than the original? This is the watch that comes out when the Seiko Cocktail and a Hamilton Jazzmaster have sex.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Hmmm a homage that costs more than the original?
Not unheard of :)
I’ve owned 3 originals (left) that cost me less than re-issues (right)

Junghans J88 vs Junghans Meister Telemeter

DongFeng vs reissue

Smiths W10 vs Precista PRS-29a

·
Registered
1,761 Posts

Absolutely. If the Seiko presages were at least 42mm, I would have two of them. The one I have has a bad case of DWD - "diminutive watch disorder." The watch world can be very bizarre when 3mm is often the difference between just right and absolutely gynormous lol. But in all seriousness, DWD has caused a pretty serious shortage of 43-45mm dress watches for those of us who suffer from ODWD - oversized dress watch disorder.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts