WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, i am not usually on this forum but on a few of the others. I was recently given a seiko by a friend who no longer wanted it. It was in pretty bad shape. He used it as a dive watch and he worked as an offshore diver in the north sea. I removed the original band as it was broken and replaced it with a nato strap. the case had some very deep marks in it, I refinished the case and it now has most of the marks out a few of the deeper ones are still there. movement i serviced and regulated and i am now waiting for a new black bezel to arrive for it. i thought i would post a few pics of its current condition to see what i now have, any opinions on if i should keep this in my colletion and what sort of value this watch holds to collectors would be most valued. Thank You.

Attachments

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
It looks to me like you have a second gen 6309. IIRC the bezel insert on that should be a pepsi one. Make sure that if you are ordering an aftermarket insert, that it has the correct font.

Overall it is a nice watch and makes a nice addition to any collection. Sadly it is not as desirable as the cushion case 6309 that preceded it, which is far more distinctive and popular with collectors. If in good condition I would cap the price at about $150.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Isthmus is right...

I have a 6309-7290 from October 1983, which I obtained from an eBay auction. I sent the watch to Jack Alexyon at IWW for a tune-up of the movement and changing of the seals. He also changed the stock crystal (scratched) with a domed mineral crystal. It's now one of my two or three most accurate automatic watches. Interestingly, while the shape of the case is the same as that of all subsequent generations of standard Seiko divers (7002 and 7S26), the watch is more comfortable than the later models (7002 is more comfortable thatn the current 7S26) in my collection. From what I can see, the crown guards on the 6309-7290 case are better finished, and protrude less to the rear of the case.

One of the things I have on my list is to get the watch back to Jack and have him re-lume the dial and hands, and perhaps install a domed sapphire crystal to prevent scratching. It's a great watch!

Aloha,

andy

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It looks to me like you have a second gen 6309. IIRC the bezel insert on that should be a pepsi one. Make sure that if you are ordering an aftermarket insert, that it has the correct font.

Overall it is a nice watch and makes a nice addition to any collection. Sadly it is not as desirable as the cushion case 6309 that preceded it, which is far more distinctive and popular with collectors. If in good condition I would cap the price at about $150.
thanks guys, how did you know that it should have a pepsi bezel? i did check the text on the aftermarket as i have had similar problems with other watches. Thanks again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts