WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read the Watchuseek Forums for hours on end, and I'm really grateful for the incredible experience and knowledge present on the site, and the generosity of members in sharing their views.

I am about to buy my FIRST Seiko Diver, and I've narrowed it down to these two models. My main concern at this point is SIZE. I have a demanding line of work, and I tend to burn through things quite quickly. (This has led me to gravitate toward brands where build quality & value are priorities - G-Shock, Filson, Redwing, etc.).

I'm not a huge guy - 5'8", medium build, 6.5 wrist. I have a GS-1100 Giez G-Shock, which fits perfectly and has been my go to "beater." I tried on a MONSTER today at the local AD, and it fit like a dream... As the AD had NO Kinetic Divers in stock (and will not get them for months), I couldn't size up the BFK properly for fit.

Would anyone be kind enough to post a photo showing a side-by-side comparison of the Monster & BFK? Of the GS-1100 (which I own) and the BFK? This would help me immensely in making this decision... Any other thoughts on form / function between the Monster & BFK?

I've read up on the Forums here, and I think I'd be very happy with the movement on both models. It's really come down to size / fit, which I unfortunately can't seem to figure out just from webshots / "specs" (which seem somewhat unreliable).

Thanks so much in advance for the help! Really glad to have finally joined!
- New to WUS:)

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
Welcome WUS ;-)

I had a BFK until stolen and dont have any comparison photos of it and my Orange Monster. I cant tell you it is larger and close in size to the Spork. There are some comparison photos of the Monster and Spork, so that might work for you. I will see if I can find the link and post it here for you.

Hey that was the next post I was going to open. Here you go thanks to ky70....

https://www.watchuseek.com/f21/monster-vs-stargate-vs-spork-my-thoughts-pics-532202.html

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Like Jerry said, the BFK wears a bit larger than the Monster.

This is partially due to the longer lugs (50mm or so???) that the BFK has, and I do believe that it is 1mm-2mm thicker than the Monster. Also, there's the bracelet that only tapers to 20mm on the BFK, whereas the Monster bracelet tapers to 18mm.

So basically, even though they have very similar case width measurements, the BFK does wear a bit larger, but not terribly so.

Given your intended use and your description of the way that you like to show your watches some rough wear, I'd recommend going with the quartz BFK over the Monster.

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BFK OM 007.jpg Great info! Thanks. Only problem is that now I've acquired a longing for the SPORK as well... Just found this side-by-side of the Monster & BFK, and it doesn't seem that the Kinetic is really that much larger... :-!

I've seen the amazing 007/009 mods here by Harold, Yao, etc. :p Do the modded 007s retain their depth rating? Does it vary by provider?

thanks again!

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
i no longer have a BFK in my collection (but will reacquire one in the future), but i will tell you it's larger than the Monster and the pic you posted doesn't convey that size difference. BFK sits much taller than the Monster, too. they really have two very different personalities.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
not a fan of kinetics so Monster gets my vote. Plus, as most have mentioned, the BFK will sit higher on the wrist than the Monster and I imagine (don't have one), it will be prone to banging more than the Monster? hope owners could share their experiences? BFK has a very solid bracelet though (i do have a Spork which has the identical bracelet). easily, in my opinion, better than the Monster's...

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Deyn Man - thanks for the input. can you tell me a little more about your Spork? I'm starting to wonder if that might be a good option, but size would be the main concern, again. Could I ask your wrist size? And do you have any images of you with your Spork? How do you think it compares to the classic 007? Would love to hear your thoughts.... including your reservations re: kinetics.

thanks so much for the input! very new the world of seikos, kind of kicking myself for not picking up a diver years ago, given how well i think the specs meet my needs (waterproof, robust, affordable, no battery replacement hassle, versatile enough for field & office).

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
Deyn Man - thanks for the input. can you tell me a little more about your Spork? I'm starting to wonder if that might be a good option, but size would be the main concern, again. Could I ask your wrist size? And do you have any images of you with your Spork? How do you think it compares to the classic 007? Would love to hear your thoughts.... including your reservations re: kinetics.

thanks so much for the input! very new the world of seikos, kind of kicking myself for not picking up a diver years ago, given how well i think the specs meet my needs (waterproof, robust, affordable, no battery replacement hassle, versatile enough for field & office).
Try the search function here and use both Spork and SRP043 you will find lots of threads on the Spork.

Reactions: Hooahmonster

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've been wearing an SKX175 and Sawtooth for quite awhile and just got a Black Monster today on bracelet. I'll say this: the Monster is not that big at all & wears very comfortably on my ~ 6.75" wrist. It lays down as well as the SKX175 but the bracelet is much nicer. I got the Monster due to issues with the exposed crown on my Sawtooth loosening during heavy used. I do a lot of banging around & wear a watch constantly. The Sawtooth is very nice and rides great for a pretty good sized watch but is definitely bigger & heavier than the Monster. The Monster is actually a darned nice all-around size and I'm kinda surprised it's called "The Monster".

Never seen a BFK so can't help ya there.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts

hi! ;-) i have 7.75inch wrists :-d

a friend asked me a similar question between the Spork and 007. basically these were my thoughts (since i also have a 007):

Pros (for the Spork):
1. size -- Spork is definitely bigger (44mm versus 42mm of the 007 i think). and because of the size, it definitely has more wrist presence than that of the 007. surprisingly, despite being bigger, the Spork somehow hugs my wrist better. maybe because of the caseback of the 007 bubbles out more than the one n the Spork? i'm guessing:-d. but it sure feels "better" than the 007;

2. better movement -- longer power reserve, "evolution" of the 7S26 movement (don't quote me on that :-d );

3. more legible dial -- i guess the lack of "day" function also helps reading time on the Spork easier;

4. more "rare" than the 007 -- though there are already quite a number of people owning Sporks but i'd bet they are still a few compared to those that own the 007; and

5. lug holes -- Spork has and the 007 does not. i guess this is a bit trivial:-d i love straps (i think i have more than 20 already :-d) and it's so easy to change straps if there are lug holes. i'm sure with a bit of (more) practice, i could also easily change straps on the 007 too. it's just so much easier with the Spork

don't get me wrong. if there was a "hall of fame" of sorts for seiko divers, the 007 IS already there! besides here are a few cons too to the Spork in favor of the 007.

cons (for the Spork):
1. 20mm lug width (22mm for the 007) -- this should be a non-issue if the Spork is used on stock bracelet. though lugs are 20mm, bracelet immediately tapers to 22mm (or maybe even 24mm?). in fact, i think i wouldn't want it any other way. just can't imagine the additional weight if the bracelet started with 22mm! o| but when you start changing straps (like Natos/Zulus), it looks somewhat odd (big head but thin strap). when using leather straps, i do get 24mm or 22mm straps and just notch it to 20mm.

2. design -- i actually like the design of the Spork. it's very different from other watches you see in the wild. however, there are those that say the Spork is a rip-off of a Sinn watch (some call it "Seiko-Sinn"). a "homage" if you will. i say, they simply used aviation-style arabic numerals. others say that the concept is odd -- putting pilot watch designs into a diver's watch. i am not a diver so i may be getting myself into trouble when i say this o|:-d. but if that's the logic, then i could probably say the same about having chronographs on dive watches? or dive watches having a GMT bezel instead of the 60min countdown timer? (am i digressing already?!? o|).
the 007 on the other hand, is an original seiko design and a real classic!

so there you have it. my opinion on the Spork and 007 (hope it made sense though). pics of Spork are already in the links i posted ;-)

i'll leave Kinetics for another day:-d

·
Registered
54 Posts
If size is your concern, you can consider that they're about the same. Same excellent fit also. I haven't seen it mentioned yet but the bracelet is almost identical, except for the orientation of the links. Both cases have the lugs oriented to follow the wrist.

Other thoughts relating to function:

The monster has a long positive history. Not so for the BFK. Seiko has made some changes and it's perfect now and work as it's supposed to be. Consider it as an auto with high-end quartz accuracy, robustness and 6 months power reserve. You don't use it for months, yes it would cause the 30$ battery not reach full charge in the future. It's been said and tried that you can keep it charged by induction with a now inexpensive toothbrush charger or this charger https://dakota.webfeatsecurity.com/chosenwatch.aspx?ProdID=667

You can also spare the battery when not using the watch by pulling the crown I would think. Wearing it a couple of days a week is all what's needed to keep it charged on wrist. Not a problem for me at all. The watch also have end-of-life AND power reserve indicators.

Also, lume on both is excellent. All night without even trying. If the monster has an edge, and I believe it does, it's only after a couple of hours in terms of intensity.

...relating to form:

The BFK has a more classic sub-related case and bezel, with more relief work on the dial. Raised indexes outlined by silver but the Quartz action of the second hand.

In my case, the BFK is putting the monster in cage for good. Both are great watches. I just ordered a sapphire for the BFK from yobokies 33$.

Enjoy your upcoming watch!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I...I haven't seen it mentioned yet but the bracelet is almost identical, except for the orientation of the links. Both cases have the lugs oriented to follow the wrist.
I disagree that the bracelets are "almost idnetical". The BFK bracelet is thicker and heavier than the monster's. The bfk bracelet tapers to 20mm at the clasp vs. 18mm for the Monster. Also, the bfk bracelet links are also more rounded. The bracelets have a little in common, but you would never confuse one for the other.

·
Registered
54 Posts
you're right.. identical is a strong word. Without comparing them side by side, the fit and the feel on the wrist did make me think it's pretty much the same bracelet. Here they are side by side. Great bracelets.

(I tried uploading pics of the bracelets but I get a fatal error). Took another route, here they are :

BFK vs Monster bracelets - Imgur

·
Registered
54 Posts
pulling the crown will not stop discharge
I thought it would slow it down a lot since the engine is not doing the physical work of running the gears?... If not, the cheap induction chargers are left as a solution if the watch doesn't get it's 1-2 days a week for wear.

EDIT : I searched on the subject and it seems pulling the crown on a kinetic is NOT a good option to preserve the battery charge

1 - 18 of 18 Posts