WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we have a Seiko forum but I would like a more balanced opnion :)

Was quoted a very good price (think quartz gs prices) for one of these and I have made arrangements to view and possibly purchase it over the weekend.

Though at that price I'm guessing it would probably require a complete service.
Yay or nay?

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,618 Posts
If the question is whether you should buy the watch I will put it back to you. Ignoring the possibly good price do you like the design? Would the size work on your wrist? Could you see yourself wearing the watch a year from now? Or after the initial blush would it sit unworn in the display box?

If you are asking whether I like the style, my reaction really should not figure into spending your money.

·
Registered
20,990 Posts
Yikes. No.

Reactions: Nokie

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
It's not my thing style wise, but it's well made. It's got a 5R66 that's basically identical to the Grand Seiko 9R66. So if you like how it looks, then yes.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The price probably plays a huge part in my consideration as I would never pay full retail for that.

The design is a little outlandish but a tiny voice in my brain is saying that it's might be an affordable way to try a spring drive and I need a "fun" looking piece. o|o|

·
Registered
559 Posts
If you like it, then why not.

Personally, (and with all respect), I think it's an incredibly ugly watch. Those bulbous screws(?) and that curved black hand are totally at odds with the Roman numerals, imho ... nay! :roll:

·
Registered
94 Posts
I can't wrap my head around this watch. The curved seconds hand gives the illusion of a humungous domed crystal, but I don't see any other signs of distortion, so I don't think that is the case. Aside from the lugs and the second hand, I like the design of the watch. But I would not buy. This is just my opinion. It should not affect your decision in any meaningful way.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Beautiful watch if you can pull it off. Not for me, though - not for most, I'd wager - it's a young man's watch, or to be worn as part of a futuristic costume perhaps, it's far too avant-garde for the likes of me. But...SD service costs...I'd look into those before buying. I heard they were insane, like $1200 for a CLA on a 3-hander. It's what's kept me from buying one - like the new Omegas, nobody will touch it except them, and they charge big bucks.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,618 Posts
This particular motivation for a purchase seldom ends well.
+1. My great deals of the past were worn a few times and put away. I've learned to slow down, read up on the watch, wait before buying and consider whether the watch will see wrist time 6 months later.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
I can sort of see its appeal, and it would doubtlessly be very well-made and well-finished. But, not my style.

The real question: is it your style?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
definitely not a Seiko I would purchase……pretty much dislike every design feature on the watch….BUT….really you should make the decision…do not base it on WIS'ers. We are a funny bunch with fickle likes and dislikes…and at the end of the day, you are wearing it. Would I be interested in looking at this watch if someone was wearing it…yes, of course, but I would be happy to also hand it back...

Reactions: Noam the Newt

·
Registered
20,990 Posts
+1. My great deals of the past were worn a few times and put away. I've learned to slow down, read up on the watch, wait before buying and consider whether the watch will see wrist time 6 months later.
I've found the same. Watches I buy because they were a great price often end up the biggest losses. That's why I decided against the Shogun for last purchase and went MM300.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Beautiful watch if you can pull it off. Not for me, though - not for most, I'd wager - it's a young man's watch, or to be worn as part of a futuristic costume perhaps, it's far too avant-garde for the likes of me. But...SD service costs...I'd look into those before buying. I heard they were insane, like $1200 for a CLA on a 3-hander. It's what's kept me from buying one - like the new Omegas, nobody will touch it except them, and they charge big bucks.
I hear that 3 hander service is about $5-700. $1200 was for GS spring drive chrono GMT model.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts