WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to Seiko's so go easy . I'm looking for a Seiko divers watch that's ruff and tuff .
This is the specs: Max price of $300.00
Divers model with rubber band
Must be tough enough for diving, hiking, kayaking, hunting, knocks and bumps, anything outdoors .
I like my watches black or mostly black but will look at all .
Accurate. + or - 25 seconds a day won't cut it .
Automatic or Kinetic ? I don't know what the difference is . Please explain .
Thanks for the help .

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I'll keep it simple:

Automatic = Movement winds a spring that runs the watch.

Kinetic = Movement charges a capacitor/battery that runs the watch.

Suggestions: Seiko SKA371 or an SKA 427...both are kinetics....both are rugged....I have one of each and they are perfect given your description/needs.

They're the same watch but the SKA427 has an ion-plated finish and costs a little more.

SKA371:

SKA427:

·
Registered
137 Posts
the Seiko 5 Sports with a rubber strap is also an option.

Accuracy is somewhat around +15 seconds. It's an automatic watch as described by Trandy.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

·
Registered
2,047 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
You want a quartz is my guess. BFK SKA369 is black and meets all of your criteria. It's has good lumes, accurate (quartz), good looks, and it will last for a long time without a battery swap.

·
Registered
319 Posts

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Why aren't anyone suggesting the Caesar? ;-) to Nick B, it's another kinetic - model number SKA383P1/2. P1 gets you the bracelet and P2 gets you the rubber strap version. Its quartz chronograph version, SNDA13, is also more than adequate for your needs.

EDIT: added some pictures courtesy of the Great 'Net. As usual, if any of these images belong to a fellow member, please inform me and I will remove them/look for other images.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd like to thank all of you that were kind enough to take the time and reply here to my noob thread . I'll be researching all suggestion's .
Nick .

·
Registered
870 Posts
Ditto! Great Watch. Or Yellow!

I'll keep it simple:

Automatic = Movement winds a spring that runs the watch.

Kinetic = Movement charges a capacitor/battery that runs the watch.

Suggestions: Seiko SKA371 or an SKA 427...both are kinetics....both are rugged....I have one of each and they are perfect given your description/needs.

They're the same watch but the SKA427 has an ion-plated finish and costs a little more.

SKA371:

SKA427:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
GTR83 I couldn't agree with you more....that's why I also own a "Caesar".

Another favorite of mine. :)

·
Registered
537 Posts

Seiko Black Monster. See how that bezel isn't painted? That will stand up much better against wear. I use the Orange Monster as my daily beater and only the clasp has small scratches on it. I don't baby it and I've had it for a few months now. I've bumped the crystal against steel a couple times and as hard as I look, I can't find any scratches.

Other than the durability here's what sets the monster apart from a lot of watches:
Lume - probably the benchmark for every other dive watch out there. There's nothing in its price range that glows more.
Domed Crystal - Won't turn into a mirror under water. If you do some diving or swimming it's nice to have. It's also not as bad for glare on sunny days.
Easy to read - Both the Black and Orange monsters have high contrast hands/dials. Important if your primary concern is telling time, not bling.
120 Click Bezel - Great for timing stuff. I use it to time my lunch break at work so I never get back late, and for laundry day. It's better than a 60 click bezel.
Day and Date - Good for people like me that hate asking people what day/date it is. I like having both right in front of me.
Reliability - This watch should run unserviced for 10 years, and with service it should last over 30. That's a very conservative estimate too. The simplicity of the movement is good for a beater watch.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Seiko Black Monster. See how that bezel isn't painted? That will stand up much better against wear. I use the Orange Monster as my daily beater and only the clasp has small scratches on it. I don't baby it and I've had it for a few months now. I've bumped the crystal against steel a couple times and as hard as I look, I can't find any scratches.

Other than the durability here's what sets the monster apart from a lot of watches:
Lume - probably the benchmark for every other dive watch out there. There's nothing in its price range that glows more.
Domed Crystal - Won't turn into a mirror under water. If you do some diving or swimming it's nice to have. It's also not as bad for glare on sunny days.
Easy to read - Both the Black and Orange monsters have high contrast hands/dials. Important if your primary concern is telling time, not bling.
120 Click Bezel - Great for timing stuff. I use it to time my lunch break at work so I never get back late, and for laundry day. It's better than a 60 click bezel.
Day and Date - Good for people like me that hate asking people what day/date it is. I like having both right in front of me.
Reliability - This watch should run unserviced for 10 years, and with service it should last over 30. That's a very conservative estimate too. The simplicity of the movement is good for a beater watch.
What is the mm diameter of the case ? Looks big . My wrist is 7 1/4" . I guess being ex army infantry is why I like the all black " tactical " watches. Still in my blood after many years .

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
The finish on the SKA427 is tough as nails. I've never had a problem with it scratching, etc.

The Monster case is 42mm across. It's a very good watch also....however it's a regular "automatic" movement and it's power reserve is nowhere near what the kinetic's is....maybe 36 hours or so.

Once you fully charge the kinetic it's power reserve is six months.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The SKA427P2 looks like it's for me . Now who knows a reliable U.S. based on line vender with these in inventory ?

·
Registered
537 Posts
What is the mm diameter of the case ? Looks big . My wrist is 7 1/4" . I guess being ex army infantry is why I like the all black " tactical " watches. Still in my blood after many years .
It's about 44-45mm including crown. I have a 6 1/2 - 6 3/4" wrist and it's big but not obnoxiously so. You'd be perfectly fine with a 7 1/4" wrist.

·
Registered
319 Posts
The SKA427P2 looks like it's for me . Now who knows a reliable U.S. based on line vender with these in inventory ?
Hi Nick, I've purchased several watches from CreationWatches at the link I posted above. You get free 3 day shipping, and they usually have a great price. Never had anything but good transactions with them.

http://www.creationwatches.com/prod...7p2-ska427p-ska427-200m-men-s-watch-1946.html

Also, it sounded like you were interested in the green NATO strap above. Not sure what size strap you need, I am going to assume 20mm after a quick search. Here is a link to those as well from I site I also purchase from. Take some pics when you get it in!

http://www.broadarrow.net/maratac.htm

Cheers,
~Pat

1 - 20 of 22 Posts