WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Seiko SNJ007 with the H023 movement. The watch manual says that the screen will lose contrast to the point of needing replacement in 7 years!
And I quote:

The normal life expectancy for
a liquid crystal panel is
approximately 7 years. After that
it may decrease in contrast,
becoming difficult to read. Please contact
your AUTHORIZED SEIKO DEALER or
SERVICE CENTER if you wish to have a
new panel fitted (guaranteed one year).

I have had numerous LCD displays in various devices and have never experienced any noticable contrast loss, or any problems in general. LCDs are pretty damn reliable.

I doubt Seiko searched for the worst quality LCD possible. I can only assume Seiko's lawyers suggested this, so no one could complain after 7 years. I am not worried, I doubt I will need to replace the LCD ever, but thought that this was a curious warning for an LCD watch.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have an H021 built in 1996 and an A159 built in 1977, and the LCDs still look like new. I don't know why Seiko puts that warning in their owners manuals -- I've never seen a Seiko LCD that had faded in any measurable way.

Here's a recent shot of my 13-year-old H021:

As you can see, the LCD looks fine. Hope this helps....

--Les

·
Banned
5,606 Posts
I have a Seiko Flightmaster SNJ017 ana-digi with the H023 movement. I, too, saw this in the owner's manual for the watch. I have yet to see a digital watch die on me before 25 years of use. Probably it is just a disclaimer and a very conservative estimate of the LCD display components. However, I think my SNJ017 will last a lot longer than that.

·
Banned
5,606 Posts
I have an H021 built in 1996 and an A159 built in 1977, and the LCDs still look like new. I don't know why Seiko puts that warning in their owners manuals -- I've never seen a Seiko LCD that had faded in any measurable way.

Here's a recent shot of my 13-year-old H021:

As you can see, the LCD looks fine. Hope this helps....

--Les
The H023 movement has a negative display being the main difference with your older H021. Maybe negative displays have less durability?

Nice watch by the way!

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
The H023 movement has a negative display being the main difference with your older H021. Maybe negative displays have less durability?
Negative display's are the exact same display as the positive ones. In other words, all the models use the exact same positive display. what creates the negative look as an added application of polarizing film over the crystal the covers the display itself. This should not affect the longevity of the underlying LCD in any way.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
If you used the watch in direct sunlight for 7 years, the UV light would do enough damage on the polarization filter to make the display appear dim. But the liquid crystals themselves would still be fine. I have seen this type of UV damage on vintage Casio watches, and the polarization filter needs to be replaced to fix the problem. Not that it happens often, but since it COULD happen, Seiko probably wanted to make sure that they covered all their bases.

Extreme heat, on the other hand, can permanently damage the liquid crystal alignments in the LCD and make it appear black (for positive display).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently acquired a Seiko G757, the James Bond Special. The case and bracelet appear to be in good condition but the characters displayed on the screen can be very dim and viewable only whey you hold the watch at a sharp angle. Straight-on the characters are almost unreadable in normal lignt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts