WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
  • Hello WatchUSeek! We are hosting an Ask Me Anything with Ian Schon of Schon Horology and Schon DSNG beginning on Tuesday, February 23rd at Noon, EST and closing on Thursday, February 25th at Noon EST. If you don't know of him, Ian is a desginer maker and was a senior product designer at IDEO. He is an engineer, designer and machinist who manufacturers his own watches, and also pens! If you've ever wanted to ask a question directly to a one-man watch maker, don't miss out! You can find the AMA here.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally did it,

Sold my Doxa Sharkhunter and Damasko DA-36 for a Seiko Marine Master. Call me crazy and you would probably be right.

There is something about the MM that has been under my skin for a long while. I just could not understand why they cost so much and had a mineral crystal. I know the logic behind it but still could not understand it. I have had quite a few high end watches but never bought the MM.

So I finally did it. I would like to know if anyone has any feedback on their MM. I know I can search threads and I have but I would like some recent owners and some owners that have had it for a while give some feedback. How does it hold up after a few years? Has the crystal scratched? Comfort, etc.

Any opinions would be great!!

Thanks

Robzilla

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have these 2 divers for about 2 years. I prefer the MM. Around +1s per day. Very smooth turning bezel. Good lume. One-piece case. Crown at 4 o'clock. The non-sapphire glass seems no problem for me, may be I wear my watches carefully. Overall, very good value for the money.

·
Registered
904 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
What's with that hex screw on the MM Spring Drive bracelet between the lugs? Is that how the bracelet is attached to the case?

·
G-Shock Mod
14,195 Posts
What's with that hex screw on the MM Spring Drive bracelet between the lugs? Is that how the bracelet is attached to the case?
i think those are used for removing the bezel

i don't own one so i am only going with memory here

and the bracelet is attached by spring bars (fat?)

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
...sapphire crystal is only a IWW visit away...
But perhaps not at all neccessary. I have been wearing my 300M Prospex for the past eight months. My jobs requires a lot of physical activity, and I wore the watch swimming, kayaking, and lumberjacking in Maine over the summer. The shroud shows plenty of evidence of this, but the Hardlex crystal remains pristine. I would trust Seiko on this. Save your money, and enjoy your MM.:)

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank You all!!

I appreciate all the feedback. I think I am going to be very happy with my new Seiko!! :)

The more I hear the more I can't wait to get it!!

I will of course post back with my thoughts and if I get a new digital camera this christmas;-) then I shall include some photos as well!!

Robzilla

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
Outstanding xmas gift, Rob!!

I think it is one of the best dive watches out there at the moment. I had mine blasted by Jack and it was killer.
Just be a bit careful with the crown threads and the dive extension, both can be problematic.
I miss it.
DW

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Outstanding xmas gift, Rob!!

Thanks David,

My watch collection is the smallest it has ever been!! Now down to just a few watches. I just checked the tracking and it is at customs right now. I am hopeful I will get the watch tomorrow but may have to wait until Tuesday. Either way, fast shipping from Katsu-san at Higuchi-inc.com!!

I am very anxious about the purchase as I do not have much money and this is the most I have ever spent on one watch. I really like the gold toned limited edition you had and I just could not get over the cost. I really liked my Doxa and Damasko but I never wore the Damasko and over time the Doxa was just too big and was not comfortable on my wrist. They are both simply awesome watches and if I could own all three I would!! I just feel the size of the Seiko MM will be more comfortable and the lume will be more to my liking. I love the raised circular silver filled hour markers and hands. I love domed crystals. I like the 4 o'clock crown position. I like the fact that Seiko produces their own movement and case and everything.

So I have a lot of expectation riding on this watch and I really feel that I won't be dissapointed. If my Seiko spirit is any indication then I think it will be the last watch I ever buy! ;-) Seriously though it should get some major wrist time!!

Maybe we will get a chance to get together some time and I can drool over your Doxa's. I think if I ever get the chance I will get another Sharkie or if Doxa would make a Divingstar yellow dial regular automatic it will be the next watch. My wife is due next month so I think my expensive watch buying days will be over for about 18 years!!!

Robzilla

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Baby on the way? Now that's cause for a new watch, lol!

David or any other forum owners,

Would you know what Seiko uses to hold links together? Is it the pin and collar, screws, or just pins? How difficult are the links to adjust on the MM?

Just wondering if I can do it myself.

Thanks,

Robzilla

·
Registered
2,455 Posts

Pin and collar, and for God's sake don't lose any of the collars as they are virtually impossible to source. If you're comfortable with this kind of bracelet, and have the right tools though, it's pretty straightforward.

·
Registered
331 Posts

Pin and collar, and for God's sake don't lose any of the collars as they are virtually impossible to source. If you're comfortable with this kind of bracelet, and have the right tools though, it's pretty straightforward.
What he said.;-)

It's not terrible with the right tools. I just wish they had used screws.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: it's not bad...

santasmile Many Thanks David!!

Looks like a pretty cool tool to have! Happy Holidays to you and all the forum members!! Have a happy New Year!!

Robzilla

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: it's not bad...

o| o|

Post Office tryed to deliver my watch to the wrong address!!:-s

They left a notice to someone? I hope they do not get my package!! I called and of course there is no one to talk to. I do not know what post office has my watch. I know Katsu-san had the correct address so it is USPS. I know they are busy but this is a big deal to me.

I had them schedule a redelivery to my address by the automated system. I just hope whoever got the notice doesn't try and pick up the package first thing in the morning on Tuesday. I have no idea which post office has my watch? My zipcode or the incorrect zipcode for which there are three post offices?o|

Anyone have this happen to them? Can you give me any advice? I already informed Katsu-san.

Thanks for any help,

In any case I want to wish you guys a Happy Holidays!!santasmile

Robzilla

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Hey Robzilla, I just got mine the other day and took some shots last nite:

MODEM BURNER

Sorry to hear that it was delivered to the wrong address. I hope you will get yours soon! Merry Christmas!santasmile

1 - 20 of 20 Posts