WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one is on my radar for next month or so. It's kind of a blend between a Rolex and Omega style-wise, with Seiko features. Any body own this watch? Any opinions on it?

·
Registered
12,702 Posts
I owned the 017. It was a sweet watch. The bracelet isn't nearly as bad as some people make it out to be - but then again, I really like the stock jubilee on the skx007/009.

And SSC divers are kind of, sort of similar to the Sumo. They seemed to be pretty close in size and wear relatively tall on your wrist. Even the bezels have a similar feel to them.

My only issue with it is that it's solar. When I'm not wearing a watch, they sit in a drawer. I will wear a single watch for up to a month or two. So having a solar watch tucked away in a dark drawer for a months at a time doesn't work out to well for my wearing habbits. I prefer standard quartz or mechanical.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I own this watch and love it! The bracelet is as bad as most people report, but it's wearable. I've stuck mine on a Hadley Roma rubber strap though, and looks and feels much better. I would recommend this watch to anybody. The only negative about this watch is the bezel is way to easy to turn. It moves with the slightest knock.

·
Registered
9,059 Posts
I own this watch and love it! The bracelet is as bad as most people report, but it's wearable. I've stuck mine on a Hadley Roma rubber strap though, and looks and feels much better. I would recommend this watch to anybody. The only negative about this watch is the bezel is way to easy to turn. It moves with the slightest knock.
Not that what you say about the bezel isn't worth noting, but mine needs some effort to turn, just the way I like it. I had another one that was noticeably less hard to turn, but still ok. There's obviously some variability here. Luck of the draw, not unlike a lot of diver bezels.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I owned the 017. It was a sweet watch. The bracelet isn't nearly as bad as some people make it out to be - but then again, I really like the stock jubilee on the skx007/009.

And SSC divers are kind of, sort of similar to the Sumo. They seemed to be pretty close in size and wear relatively tall on your wrist. Even the bezels have a similar feel to them.

My only issue with it is that it's solar. When I'm not wearing a watch, they sit in a drawer. I will wear a single watch for up to a month or two. So having a solar watch tucked away in a dark drawer for a months at a time doesn't work out to well for my wearing habits. I prefer standard quartz or mechanical.
I was under the impression that most solar watches will run for up to 5-6 months in the dark after they have been fully charged.

·
Registered
9,480 Posts
It's a very good watch and can often be picked up for prices that make it phenomenal value for money. It has classic Seiko diver looks and a rock solid movement and good build quality compared to other similarly priced watches. Lume is very good as well. The only thing I didn't like about the watch was that the chrono only went to to an hour as instead of using the third sub dial as an hour counter they used it for a slaved 24 hour display which I think is pretty pointless and a waste of a sub dial. The chrono also stopped itself when the hour was up instead of looping around continually which again I thought was a waste, seeing as the watch already has a dive bezel for you to time things up to an hour in length I don't know why they didn't make the chrono function more useful. But all in all it's a great watch, I'd take it in an instant over any similar Citizen dive chronograph.

·
Premium Member
71,182 Posts
The 017 is a dream come true. It's a Seiko, a chrono, a diver and a solar all in one package - what more could a bloke ask for?

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's a very good watch and can often be picked up for prices that make it phenomenal value for money. It has classic Seiko diver looks and a rock solid movement and good build quality compared to other similarly priced watches. Lume is very good as well. The only thing I didn't like about the watch was that the chrono only went to to an hour as instead of using the third sub dial as an hour counter they used it for a slaved 24 hour display which I think is pretty pointless and a waste of a sub dial. The chrono also stopped itself when the hour was up instead of looping around continually which again I thought was a waste, seeing as the watch already has a dive bezel for you to time things up to an hour in length I don't know why they didn't make the chrono function more useful. But all in all it's a great watch, I'd take it in an instant over any similar Citizen dive chronograph.
I like the 24 hour dial myself, and the second hand dial is really neat. I don't really plan on timing anything over an hour with a watch anyway, so that doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I have a couple of these solar chronos- pepsi and black/blue bezels.Great grab and go! i just leave mine on my dresser when not in use and have not had a charging issue after almost two years of ownership! Did not care for OEM bracelet but other than that very happy with them both! Good Luck and Happy hunting!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just bought one. Mine is the SSC015 with the black bezel and red accents. Does it look good? Well, I've also got a Ulysse Nardin maxi diver, and yet for the few days I've owned the Seiko, it's the Seiko that's been on my wrist. So yes, it's a lot more than $200 worth of watch. But I'll definitely be replacing the bracelet... it not only feels cheap, it's uncomfortable. Anyone know of a bracelet with rounded end links that will mate up to the case?

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Almost everybody (almost) seems to be complaining about the bracelet. What's the problem with it?

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Some contrasting thoughts:

The good:

• Lume is great and was evenly applied (see lume pip below)
  • Great dial design
  • Solid movement from a technical point of view
  • Nice bezel insert

The bad:

• The bracelet is awful. The links are too large and it doesn't properly conform to your wrist. The polishing is also pretty cheap looking.
  • The quality control on these is all over the place. Almost every example I have seen has a misaligned bezel lume pip.
  • A 24-hour subdial is basically useless and I will never buy another chrono that replaces an hour counter with one.
  • The case is boring and lacks detail. The 9:00 side is downright ugly.
  • The polishing on the pushers make it look too blingy and cheap. Ditto for the coloured ring around the crown.
  • It is a heavy watch. Not heavy in a good way (to me), heavy in a "they should have made this lighter" way.
  • It wears large, which is personal preference. It wore larger than my SBBN015 Tuna.
  • Date can be hard to read as it is well under the dial and can be blocked by shadows.
  • Mine had lots of play in the bezel.

For the $200 or so it currently sells for it is hard to beat (if you are just looking for a dive watch, regardless of movement, the SKX007 and Monsters are better quality) but I don't think it is the screaming deal people make it out to be. It hits slightly above its price point. I think I paid $300 or so when I bought mine two years ago, for that price it is simply "okay". I was very excited about the watch when I bought it but the honeymoon period ended fairly quickly and I found more things I didn't like about it and eventually sold it. I do have smaller wrists so it was never super comfortable, so I do have some bias against it with regards to some of the above points.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Some contrasting thoughts:

The good:

• Lume is great and was evenly applied (see lume pip below)
  • Great dial design
  • Solid movement from a technical point of view
  • Nice bezel insert

The bad:

• The bracelet is awful. The links are too large and it doesn't properly conform to your wrist. The polishing is also pretty cheap looking.
  • The quality control on these is all over the place. Almost every example I have seen has a misaligned bezel lume pip.
  • A 24-hour subdial is basically useless and I will never buy another chrono that replaces an hour counter with one.
  • The case is boring and lacks detail. The 9:00 side is downright ugly.
  • The polishing on the pushers make it look too blingy and cheap. Ditto for the coloured ring around the crown.
  • It is a heavy watch. Not heavy in a good way (to me), heavy in a "they should have made this lighter" way.
  • It wears large, which is personal preference. It wore larger than my SBBN015 Tuna.
  • Date can be hard to read as it is well under the dial and can be blocked by shadows.
  • Mine had lots of play in the bezel.

For the $200 or so it currently sells for it is hard to beat (if you are just looking for a dive watch, regardless of movement, the SKX007 and Monsters are better quality) but I don't think it is the screaming deal people make it out to be. It hits slightly above its price point. I think I paid $300 or so when I bought mine two years ago, for that price it is simply "okay". I was very excited about the watch when I bought it but the honeymoon period ended fairly quickly and I found more things I didn't like about it and eventually sold it. I do have smaller wrists so it was never super comfortable, so I do have some bias against it with regards to some of the above points.
Now that is what I call a well thought out critique. Thank you for that.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I also found it interesting that idkfa thinks the SKX007 or a Monster are both better made Seikos. I have the 007 and agree. The fit and finish is impeccable on mine. Sometimes I just wish it was a solar.

A monster is another choice I have been considering. Same price point for both models too.

I'm really wanting to make all my watches from now on either battery powered or solar quartz, just to alleviate the hassle of shaking and winding every day, or resetting before I wear it, or buying a winder.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I also found it interesting that idkfa thinks the SKX007 or a Monster are both better made Seikos. I have the 007 and agree. The fit and finish is impeccable on mine. Sometimes I just wish it was a solar.

A monster is another choice I have been considering. Same price point for both models too.
Just my opinion, of course. I find the SSC to be "almost" there in terms of quality. It almost feels like it was rushed out, it doesn't have a unified design like some of their other watches. The polishing really kills the look for me. Keep in mind that it has plenty of fans, as indicated by the many positive reviews. We must maintain perspective that we are discussing the qualities of a $200 watch, there will of course be sacrifices to meet the price point.

EDIT: The Monster is a watch I love but is also one I am very cautious about recommending based solely on its quality. It has a VERY polarizing design. If you like the almost avant garde tool look it is a great purchase.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Just my opinion, of course. I find the SSC to be "almost" there in terms of quality. It almost feels like it was rushed out, it doesn't have a unified design like some of their other watches. The polishing really kills the look for me. Keep in mind that it has plenty of fans, as indicated by the many positive reviews. We must maintain perspective that we are discussing the qualities of a $200 watch, there will of course be sacrifices to meet the price point.

EDIT: The Monster is a watch I love but is also one I am very cautious about recommending based solely on its quality. It has a VERY polarizing design. If you like the almost avant garde tool look it is a great purchase.
It's interesting how much I agree with this post by idkfa. I could have written it myself. Quality is not there, be it the chronograph button locking crowns, the bezel, the polishing, and most notoriously the bracelet, but it's a looker. I think the dial is too busy and the design tries to be a jack of all trades, without being 100% great on any of the fronts (Diver, Chrono, GMT). Well, as idkfa says, it's a 200 USD watch.

I guess you'll hate the bracelet as many of us do, and there are great recommendations for replacement bracelets in this thread.

BTW my watch is dead. Battery was empty (I wear it very very little) and it never recovered. I'm lazy to take it for service as I don't wear it anyway. I've seriously thinking of giving it away but it's difficult to ship from where I live....

Sent from my SGP712 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
413 Posts
The SSC017 is a nice piece for the price. Each time I wear it, it gets a lot of attention, people tend to notice it with its blue accents.
The bracelet is not that bad, once the centre links are brushed (20mn with a scratching pad). The watch is light, being not mechanical, which is really not a problem for me.
The dial surface could however be more detailed, as on some other Seiko solar chronos.
It is the perfect grab and go watch : I dont wear it very often, but it is less than +10s after one year, sitting 90% of time in the dark. The sweeping chrono hand is a nice bonus.
As conclusion, far from a perfect watch, but a very nice solar chrono if you can catch it for 200 US/EUR. :-!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts