WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I bought my mini turtle new a little less than a year ago. I wore it for a few months when I first received it and it was running about -3 spd. Then I bought a few more watches and put the mini turtle in my watch box and didn't wear it for several months. I started wearing it again about 2 weeks ago and now it's running about -20 spd. I know that's within spec for 4r35 movement but it bothers me when it loses that much time.
Being this new, I wouldn't think it would need servicing yet but who knows how long it sat on a shelf before it was sold to me. Is it possible it has been magnetized? I was thinking I should try getting a demagnetizer from Amazon for about $15 to see if that would help but wanted to check with y'all first. Any thoughts? Advice? Thanks.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Others with more experience will hopefully chime in but I have read that generates if your watch is magnetized that it'll run very fast. You may just be in need of a quick regulation which either won't cost much, or if your handy isn't overly complicated if you have all the right tools!

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Others with more experience will hopefully chime in but I have read that generates if your watch is magnetized that it'll run very fast. You may just be in need of a quick regulation which either won't cost much, or if your handy isn't overly complicated if you have all the right tools!
Thanks for weighing in. I have heard the same thing about a watch running fast if magnetized but I have also heard they can run slow. Good point on the regulation.

·
Registered
Portugieser chrono on Miltat mesh
2,084 Posts
Sorry, worth a try. Archer posted a Seiko review in 2018 (I think) where he found debris (a hair, I think) on a jewel in a new movement. I would almost recommend opening it yourself and having a look, except I destroyed my 7S26 when trying to correct the hairspring shape...
But putting in a new NH36 (I think the NH35 might be the same as your movement?) worked without a hitch. Those movements are 35 bucks, so maybe order one, and then open your watch and have a look?
Sorry if that sounds too dangerous; I like living on the edge... How much is a mini turtle?

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry, worth a try. Archer posted a Seiko review in 2018 (I think) where he found debris (a hair, I think) on a jewel in a new movement. I would almost recommend opening it yourself and having a look, except I destroyed my 7S26 when trying to correct the hairspring shape...
But putting in a new NH36 (I think the NH35 might be the same as your movement?) worked without a hitch. Those movements are 35 bucks, so maybe order one, and then open your watch and have a look?
Sorry if that sounds too dangerous; I like living on the edge... How much is a mini turtle?
Thanks for trying. I love watches but I don't have any experience tinkering with them beyond changing straps and batteries. Plus I'm one of those who actually swims/snorkels with his divers in the ocean so maintaining proper water resistance is important and I would probably mess that up if I tried to work on it myself. Worse comes to worse, I'll take it to my local watchmaker and let the pro work on it. I'm still hoping someone here might be able to steer me in the right direction. I bought mine new from Singapore for about $300.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Thanks for trying. I love watches but I don't have any experience tinkering with them beyond changing straps and batteries. Plus I'm one of those who actually swims/snorkels with his divers in the ocean so maintaining proper water resistance is important and I would probably mess that up if I tried to work on it myself. Worse comes to worse, I'll take it to my local watchmaker and let the pro work on it. I'm still hoping someone here might be able to steer me in the right direction. I bought mine new from Singapore for about $300.
People freak way too much about water resistance. It's literally just an o-ring that acts as a gasket between the caseback and the case. As long as it's in place and the caseback is reasonably tight you're good to go.

My mini turtle was running about -15spd when I got it, and I regulated it myself. Long Island Watch has a great video showing how to do it, it's crazy easy you just move a little lever. The tricky part is that moving the lever even a tiny amount can make a BIG difference in the speed of the watch, so you could easily make it worse on the other side haha. I had to do mine twice, the first adjustment took it to +15spd or something like that, then the final adjustment got it around -3spd. I don't have a timegrapher, so I just made the adjustment then wore it for a few days and checked to see how it was doing.

I recommend taking a picture of the original setting before you adjust it, so you'll have something to refer back to later if needed.

EDIT: Here's the vid ::

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
People freak way too much about water resistance. It's literally just an o-ring that acts as a gasket between the caseback and the case. As long as it's in place and the caseback is reasonably tight you're good to go.

My mini turtle was running about -15spd when I got it, and I regulated it myself. Long Island Watch has a great video showing how to do it, it's crazy easy you just move a little lever. The tricky part is that moving the lever even a tiny amount can make a BIG difference in the speed of the watch, so you could easily make it worse on the other side haha. I had to do mine twice, the first adjustment took it to +15spd or something like that, then the final adjustment got it around -3spd. I don't have a timegrapher, so I just made the adjustment then wore it for a few days and checked to see how it was doing.

I recommend taking a picture of the original setting before you adjust it, so you'll have something to refer back to later if needed.

EDIT: Here's the vid ::

Thanks for the video. I'll check it out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts