WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Guys, one for you to give me opinion on....after much hard work I'm in a position to now purchase a good used Seiko MM or a new Tutima 300 DI, after quite a few years of looking I have narrowed it finally down to these two, I go one watch at a time, I've had Omega, Breitling, Marcello C, Sinn, Limes, Doxa and all fell short of what I expected in terms of customer service, (Doxa and Limes were particularly poor - really bad - I can't believe that some guys buy a Doxa dive watch for a wedge and accept it when the bezel doesn't line up properly) workmanship and reliability, I don't like getting ripped off and as far as I can tell Seiko is one of the few brands that really states what it's watches really are. I would never buy any of the marked brands again, in my opinion they are just not worth it literally...but now...the Seiko MM...is it really worth the cost of a new one....my current watch is a blue Sumo and it has been a really solid dependable piece but I wanted something a bit more, something that was real quality... at a fair price...the Tutima is a great watch but is it another example of lets pay a premium for a piece that cost much less to make...that's what really does my head in...

I would like a quality, tough, well made, dependable, water resistant watch with a bit of history with it's development and a full count up bezel...

MM or DI300...

I just dunno...

Maybe I'll bin the lot and just use my mobile phone to tell the time.

:roll:

BTW in case anyone is wondering what the OP is asking about, here is the Tutima in question:

http://tutima.com/en/product_info.php?products_id=29

Specs:

- Movement: ETA 2836-2
- Titanium case, unidirectional bezel and bracelet (with friction-type fliplock clasp).
- Water resistant to 1,000 feet (300m).
- sapphire crystal w/ Anti-reflection coating.
- Also available on a strap.
- superluminova lume

Dimensions:

Diameter: approx. 43.8 mm
Height: approx. 12.5 mm

Models:

629-01 Black dial, rubber strap with titanium clasp.
629-02 Black dial, titanium bracelet
629-11 Orange dial, rubber strap with titanium clasp.
629-12 Orange dial, titanium bracelet
629-15 Yellow dial, rubber strap with titanium clasp.
629-16 Yellow dial, titanium bracelet

It is worth reading this thread and seeing the close up pictures:

https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=64724

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I would like a quality, tough, well made, dependable, water resistant watch with a bit of history with it's development and a full count up bezel....
Marine Master.

Although, I doubt you'd get very many votes for the Tutima, at least not in this forum!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I doubt you'd get very many votes for the Tutima, at least not in this forum!
I believe the OP knows the outcome of posting a MM300 vs Tutima DI300 in a Seiko/Citizen/Orient forum.

It appears more like to gather moral support to choose the MM300 and to read of supporting arguments for choosing it.

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
As I see it there are pluses and minuses to both.

With seiko you get a major manufacturer and a watch with more than 40 years of diver history built into the piece. Tutima is more of a boutique manufacturer.

The seiko has the higher grade movement.

Seiko has a more complex monocoque case and is a saturation diver (the tutima is not)

The seiko has better finished metal work.

The seiko has a FAR NICER clasp and diver's extension.

The seiko has a more finely constructed dial and hands.

The tutima on the other hand uses a sapphire crystal, which should give daily wearers more piece of mind.

Tutima's Ti construction makes it lighter, which might be a plus in watches of this size.

the ETA movement in the tutima is more easily serviced by third parties, as parts are much easier to source.

Personally I find the Marine master to be the higher grade and more finely executed piece, there is less variety and it doesn't use a sapphire crystal (which some find objectionable), but neither thing is a negative for me. the added long history gives me the peace of mind that the company will stand behind it for decades to cume. Plus in the great scheme of all things watch snobbish, the seiko is made all in-house, as opposed to being partially sourced for outside manufacturers. Both are ncie watches, but for me the seiko has the edge.

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
I believe the OP knows the outcome of posting a MM300 vs Tutima DI300 in a Seiko/Citizen/Orient forum.

It appears more like to gather moral support to choose the MM300 and to read of supporting arguments for choosing it.
That or perhaps we can rise above that and give him as balanced an argument as we are able to, instead of just shouting out or preference. Just a thought.

·
Banned
2,219 Posts
Guys, one for you to give me opinion on....after much hard work I'm in a position to now purchase a good used Seiko MM or a new Tutima 300 DI, after quite a few years of looking I have narrowed it finally down to these two, I go one watch at a time, I've had Omega, Breitling, Marcello C, Sinn, Limes, Doxa and all fell short of what I expected in terms of customer service, (Doxa and Limes were particularly poor - really bad - I can't believe that some guys buy a Doxa dive watch for a wedge and accept it when the bezel doesn't line up properly) workmanship and reliability, I don't like getting ripped off and as far as I can tell Seiko is one of the few brands that really states what it's watches really are. I would never buy any of the marked brands again, in my opinion they are just not worth it literally...but now...the Seiko MM...is it really worth the cost of a new one....my current watch is a blue Sumo and it has been a really solid dependable piece but I wanted something a bit more, something that was real quality... at a fair price...the Tutima is a great watch but is it another example of lets pay a premium for a piece that cost much less to make...that's what really does my head in...

I would like a quality, tough, well made, dependable, water resistant watch with a bit of history with it's development and a full count up bezel...

MM or DI300...

I just dunno...

Maybe I'll bin the lot and just use my mobile phone to tell the time.

:roll:
I like the simple look of the Tutima, and the yellow dial version is pretty cool, but having owned the Marine Master for all of four days now, I must say that the Seiko is simply phenomenal. It lives up to the hype for me, so I would vote for the Marine Master.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
While I have never owned a DI300 or a MM, the fact that the OP has not been impressed with Omega, Breitling, etc. but very much enjoys his Sumo would lead me to believe that the MM would be the best choice. The only "negative" re the MM, IMO, is the hardlex (vs sapphire) crystal which may not be an issue. Even if it is, replacement sapphire crystals are readily available for the MM...

·
G-Shock Mod
14,335 Posts
I like the simple look of the Tutima, and the yellow dial version is pretty cool
i like the looking for the yellow dial version of DI300 as well. i like the framed hour markers on the dial. but i think the yellow chapter ring is made of shiny/glossy material which i didn't really like.

on the other hand, MM auto 300m has completely in-house movement, unique case design, raised hr markers with polished edges + polished/brushed hands, nice combo of brushed and polished case finish, unique diver extension, exceptional lume.

if its my money, i will go with MM auto 300m

·
Registered
418 Posts
While a much smaller company Tutima has a long history of manufacturing watches for the German military services and it's a brand that goes back generations. Their watches are simple well made pieces that are designed to last a while under abuse. I also like the Teutonic good looks of their watches. I haven't seen a Tutima diver but have seen a few of the chronographs and they are solid. Just looking at the picture and reading the specs, I think the DI300 is somewhere between the Sumo and 300mm. Damn nice watch none the less.

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
Forget about balanced reasoning. MM300 all the way. You know you want to. It's the Daddy.

·
Registered
526 Posts
The case on the MM is way more interesting to me as the DI300 case looks like any other average diver.
I like the styling of MM bracelet too even tho it's 20mm, it makes the case stand out with authority.
Also, the weight and heft of the MM feels really nice on the wrist, assuming you like your watches a bit on the heavy side.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I have owned both at one time or another.

The Tutima is not EVEN in the same class as the Marine Master.

I will once again very soon, own the Seiko Marine Master and it will not leave the collection ever again!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Come on man....

You love your blue sumo? You'll probably sell it after your MM arrives. I sold my sumo after I got mine...

-I will echo stockae92 on the awesome hour markers with metal edges.
-I will also add that the glossy black bezel takes the watch to another level.

OK I will rehash my MM pics to hypnotize you further than you already are..jk.

and some extra local SF shots

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
Not too familiar with Tutima, but I can say the MM300 is great value for the price, even at its current asking rate brand new ($1900-$2100-ish)

If you love your Sumo, you'll be obsessed with your MM, if you decide on one. I've been debating selling my three Sumos (as well as a big chunk of the rest of my collection) ever since the MM arrived because I just can't bring myself to wear anything else, so they're just sitting unattended in my watch box. The MM300 is that good.

If you're looking for higher quality and more attention to detail as well as the finer details, the MM300 is a huge step up from the Sumo. It's not something easily addressed by looking at photos of the two. When you see the MM300 in the flesh, then you can truly experience the quality of this piece and it's in a different league. I think since you enjoy your Sumo, the MM300 might be the one that can satisfy you for a good amount of time, rather than the Tutima. |>

·
Banned
2,219 Posts
Not too familiar with Tutima, but I can say the MM300 is great value for the price, even at its current asking rate brand new ($1900-$2100-ish)

If you love your Sumo, you'll be obsessed with your MM, if you decide on one. I've been debating selling my three Sumos (as well as a big chunk of the rest of my collection) ever since the MM arrived because I just can't bring myself to wear anything else, so they're just sitting unattended in my watch box. The MM300 is that good.

If you're looking for higher quality and more attention to detail as well as the finer details, the MM300 is a huge step up from the Sumo. It's not something easily addressed by looking at photos of the two. When you see the MM300 in the flesh, then you can truly experience the quality of this piece and it's in a different league. I think since you enjoy your Sumo, the MM300 might be the one that can satisfy you for a good amount of time, rather than the Tutima. |>
I am starting to have the same issue with my collection. I just don't want to wear anything but the MM! o|

·
Registered
4,258 Posts
I am starting to have the same issue with my collection. I just don't want to wear anything but the MM! o|
:-d Yeah, it's a great "problem" to have, isn't it? haha...

·
Registered
489 Posts
So many good things people said about MM300 SBDX001, but I still see some people sell their SBDX001 at the trading forum. Why is that? Is there anything negative that I should know about SBDX001 (other than the obvious non-sapphire crystal which does not bother me) before pulling the trigger?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts