WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my problem
I need a rugged watch for my son.
Being a teenager, he is hard on everything.
I want an automatic or an analog quartz.
He has a mild learning disability so it must have the numbers on the dial.
He has a Seiko 5 100M watch, SNX805 now.
Unfortunately it is not water proof enough. so I would like to step up to a divers type watch, but can't find one with a numbered dial.

So here is the Modding question.
How hard would it be to put a dial from a SNX-805, 807, etc. on to a better watch?
Is the movement on the more expensive watches any better, or is it just the case?
Some ideas include:
SKX171
SKX007
SKX013
SKXA53
SKX779

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
For the most part the watches you mention all use the 7S26 movement or some variant thereof. You should be able to swap dials from one case to another. however there is a possibility that the dial feet will have to be modified in order to make it fit properly in the new watch.

Modifications of this type are advisable that they be done by an experienced watchmaker. If the watch is intended to be a daily wearer and take a fair bit of abuse, I would recommend against this. Instead IMHO you should consider getting a watch that is build with an arabic numbered dial directly from the factory.

Also, and I'm not trying to be rude, but if he has a mild learning disability, it might be worth considering going for a quartz powered watch. They will be more accurate and will give your son less to have to mess with. Just a thought.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For the most part the watches you mention all use the 7S26 movement or some variant thereof. You should be able to swap dials from one case to another. however there is a possibility that the dial feet will have to be modified in order to make it fit properly in the new watch.

Modifications of this type are advisable that they be done by an experienced watchmaker. If the watch is intended to be a daily wearer and take a fair bit of abuse, I would recommend against this. Instead IMHO you should consider getting a watch that is build with an arabic numbered dial directly from the factory.

Also, and I'm not trying to be rude, but if he has a mild learning disability, it might be worth considering going for a quartz powered watch. They will be more accurate and will give your son less to have to mess with. Just a thought.
There seems to be a shortage of good, and reasonable divers watches with numbers faces. Does any one have any suggestions?

Yes, I would not mind a Quartz.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How about a nice Casio anadigi like this WS300-7BV (less than $50.00):
Thanks.
I have looked at a few models like that, but need one without any extra features, especially an alarm.

Also want to stay away from digital displays as they become a crutch to reading the time.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Are you sure that 100M water resistance was not enough? 100M (10 bars, I believe) is supposed to cover everything from showering to swimming, even shallow diving. http://www.seikowatches.com/support/faq/resistance.asp

As for a good, clear, diver's watch, I myself have not been able to find any yet. Just about all of the Seiko divers offered do not include numbers on the dial.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Try MKII watches. They can mod a seiko to have a military type dial with numbers. You can choose the design of the hands too. It is a very cool site

1 - 7 of 7 Posts