WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can a newbie look for info regarding the names of Seiko's watches. I see names like Monster, Sammy, Zilla, and Samurai. Where do these names come from? There are no references to these names on the seikousa.com site.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I think Sammy is another name for Samurai, and a Zilla is a very large Divers Watch by Citizen not Seiko. You can find these Watches on eBay. Try looking at pokemonyu there.

These names have been given to the Watches by the collectors themselves, not by the Manufacturers.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks guys.
I know what a monster looks like (I think), just curious how the name came about. Thought maybe they were model names given by the manufacturer for other markets in the world.
Have the collectors given the name "Monster" to a particular group of Seiko model #'s or is it assigned to any Seiko dive watch over a certain size? When did the monster name originate?

Is this a "monster?"
http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PROFRAME&PROD_ID=847366

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
Where can a newbie look for info regarding the names of Seiko's watches. I see names like Monster, Sammy, Zilla, and Samurai. Where do these names come from? There are no references to these names on the seikousa.com site.
Here you go:

SEIKO NICKNAMES

Keep in mind that with very few exceptions most seiko nicknames are not official names used or recognized by seiko. Most of the nicknames have originated on english speaking forums or people associated with them, and with the SCWF in particular.

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
Oh yeah. Thanks for that. I guess it helps to read the whole thread before answering. Oops.

BTW, keep in mind that several of the nicknames have colorful history's regarding their origins, and some others do not. Also the genral feeling amongst collectors is that some watches have intentionally not been given nicknames (this is especially true of most vintage divers and chrono's).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.