WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a resource for figuring out the seiko model numbers? Since they only sign the back with the movement number / Dial number (i think. . .as in 7s26-0350 for my black monster) and then a serial number, it's sometimes hard to find information about a watch.

I've picked up several vintage seikos in the past month and am just curious about the model number. My Black Monster is a SKX779K, but that doesn't show up anywhere on the watch (that i can find). I also picked up a few watches at a Seiko sample sale (one of their service centers is near my house) and they also are not identifiable.

Thoughts?
-James

·
Banned
5,850 Posts
I am not sure if model numbers were used on vintage pieces. I can't recall anyone referring to specific model numbers like we have on the current pieces. I've seen the branding names...Advan, King Seiko, Bellmatic, but never specific model numbers.

Maybe post the numbers that you have and someone can point you in the right direction for some more information...

I was just looking through the photo database as SCWF and I noticed the use of model numbers on current ones, but use of the caliber-case numbering system on the older pieces. This makes me think that either model numbers were not used on the vintage pieces or if they were, the model numbers are lost to the sands of time and have no informational value anymore.

http://www.csce.uark.edu/~jgauch/photos/dir1/

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
You can do a visual search if you know the dial number. The Seiko database maintained by John M. Gauch at UofArk is a great resource for such. Check it out at:
http://www.csce.uark.edu/~jgauch/photos/

Reactions: kateygrrl
G

·
Seiko used these "model numbers" or "retail sales numbers" on vintage watches as well. These numbers are as useless as the many nick-names, however, because they do not allow one to track down parts for movements or cases. I wish I knew Seiko's reasoning behind this dual numbering concept because it often slows my work by forcing me to have several e-mails back and forth between some customers and myself just to determine the particular watch in question.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts