WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a Seiko Monster SRP311 as a weekend watch. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality and appearance of this relatively inexpensive automatic.

Being new to collecting, I am questioning the need for a watch winder. I purchased a watch winder for my Omega PO. However, I don't know if it makes any sense to purchase a watch winder for the inexpensive Seiko, when the winder will cost almost as much as the watch.

I guess my question is will it be harmful to the 4R36 movement to simply let it run down, stop, and then start it up again and reset the time on a regular basis. Or should I keep it operating?

Any input will be appreciated.

WWT

·
Registered
17,054 Posts
Welcome!

Nice pair you have there. Firstly I don't begrudge spending good money on a nice strap etc for an inexpensive watch: my appreciation of each piece isn't really linked to its MSRP. So if you want a winder then go for it. As to whether or not you do in fact need one - whether they're necessary - is entirely up to you - it has been debated lots here and it's personal choice, though I believe that generally more people here don't have them and get on just fine.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
I used to let my watches run down and just reset the time/date when I wear it again. But after trying to use a winder, my watches seem to run with a lower variance in time keeping when kept ticking on my winder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
I might just be old school, but even on my Grand Seiko or Omega I just let them run down if I don't plan on wearing them for awhile. Since the 4R36 is handwinding anyway, it's not hard to get going. Not like the old 7S26s or entry level Orients where you have to like shake or wear the watch for awhile.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,775 Posts
Welcome!

Nice pair you have there. Firstly I don't begrudge spending good money on a nice strap etc for an inexpensive watch: my appreciation of each piece isn't really linked to its MSRP. So if you want a winder then go for it. As to whether or not you do in fact need one - whether they're necessary - is entirely up to you - it has been debated lots here and it's personal choice, though I believe that generally more people here don't have them and get on just fine.
+1

·
Registered
922 Posts
Winders are intended to keep them going and to avoid the movement getting plastered, therefor prolonging the life of the caliber and spending less in service.
With this being said, it would be IMO more suitable for expensive pieces. The seiko 4R36 is a workhorse, dont worry about the movement or its service costs.

·
Premium Member
66,518 Posts
I agree with Geoff that it's a matter of personal choice. I just let my autos run down and give them a bit of life as and when I wear them. IMO winders are best suited for watches with complications that are a pain to set.

·
Premium Member
7,358 Posts
For me, a winder is a matter of convenience only. When I'm out of winder space, though, my 4R36 Monster is among the first to go without.

There are philosophical arguments about the use of winders, with passionate (and sometimes persuasive) arguments on both sides. That way lies madness.

Rick "whose values convenience without respect to the cost of the watch" Denney

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I don't use winders, but if you do isn't one winder perfect for two watches?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts