WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks.
I have had my seiko monster for a couple of weeks, it was ok with time for a week or so.A couple of days ago i set the time .Today it is 5 minutes faster than the time i set it to.Is that normal for an automatic or is there something wrong.
Your help is much appreciated.Many Thanks

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Of course it's not normal. It is way out of spec if it's gaining 5 minutes in two days. Did you wear it and keep it wound those two days?

·
Banned
5,850 Posts
oy, another fast monster. I don;t know why it always seems to be the monsters when other watches have the same movement.

Let the watch completely unwind. Give it a little tap or something harder on the edge of the case, with the watch horizontal to the ground. Get it started up again and see how it runs. If that doesn't do the trick, someone is going to have to take a look inside. If you can open it up, check the hairspring to see if any coil is hanging out over a little post. If you are comfortable, you can nudge the hairspring with a toothpick or take in to a watchmaker. It shouldn't be too expensive to fix and will only take a few minutes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oy, another fast monster. I don;t know why it always seems to be the monsters when other watches have the same movement.

Let the watch completely unwind. Give it a little tap or something harder on the edge of the case, with the watch horizontal to the ground. Get it started up again and see how it runs. If that doesn't do the trick, someone is going to have to take a look inside. If you can open it up, check the hairspring to see if any coil is hanging out over a little post. If you are comfortable, you can nudge the hairspring with a toothpick or take in to a watchmaker. It shouldn't be too expensive to fix and will only take a few minutes.
THanks for that,i purchased the watch on ebay, i told the seller about it running fast,he said i shuold send it back to him so he can have it repaired.I contaccted Seiko ,thye told me i need the stamped warranty card hen they will repair it.
The watch is only 2 weeks old,i might send the watch to Seiko UK to see if they will repair without the warranty card.
Thanks for all the replies.:-!

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
This happens more than it should.
It is usually the hairspring inside that is either out of place or something caught up in there.
Its an easy fix.
It happens with other 7S26B movements as well (SNK for one).
If you search the forum, there are quite a few examples of this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took the watch to a watch shop,the lady told me the watch will have a waterseal,if she opens the watch up they will need a new seal.How much would a aterseal cost.Also how long does it take to unwind.Many thanks

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
I took the watch to a watch shop,the lady told me the watch will have a waterseal,if she opens the watch up they will need a new seal.How much would a aterseal cost.Also how long does it take to unwind.Many thanks
She is full of crap. If she opens the watch, she will need to be careful resealing it, but she should be able to use the same gaskets, provided they are not too old (which yours are not). what she needs to do is retest the water resistance in order to guaranty the water resistance. if she is careful and doesn't overtighten or pinch the gasket, all she will need to do is add a dab of silicone grease and close the caseback and should have no problems. replacing the caseback gasket (which is all she is talking about - she will not be replacing the crownstem and crystal gaskets) literally takes 5 seconds. the gasket itself costs pennies. however this is not something that you will be told and will probably be charged $20-$40 for the privilegde.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
She is full of crap. If she opens the watch, she will need to be careful resealing it, but she should be able to use the same gaskets, provided they are not too old (which yours are not). what she needs to do is retest the water resistance in order to guaranty the water resistance. if she is careful and doesn't overtighten or pinch the gasket, all she will need to do is add a dab of silicone grease and close the caseback and should have no problems. replacing the caseback gasket (which is all she is talking about - she will not be replacing the crownstem and crystal gaskets) literally takes 5 seconds. the gasket itself costs pennies. however this is not something that you will be told and will probably be charged $20-$40 for the privilegde.
Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts