WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
All,

Came across these quartz Seiko Monsters on eBay. That's right - Quartz! They are branded Norsk, and I am guessing that they are not by Seiko. If these are real, then this is the most incredible replica or Photoshop scam I have ever seen.

I am normally a lurker, not a poster, but I registered just because I was amazed and wanted to share.

Out of curiosity, does anyone own one of these? Ordered one of these? Ordered anything from this seller?

Would love to know what the deal is with these, and if the monster is actually being replicated.

Ciao,

JCL

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,700 Posts
Calm down. Nobody will ever mistake one of the Norsk watches for a Seiko Monster.

No harm, no foul on the part of the watch maker.

The OP has, however, successfully shilled for an active ebay listing ...

;-)

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
'Norsk' and 'London' seems like a bit of a contradiction.

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,329 Posts
How can that possibly be called a Seiko watch????? It has some design features of the Seiko monster, but that is all. And as we all know watch companies copy features from one anothers designs all the time.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
It's a homage and a very silly one, to homage a $200 affordable watch and sell it as an el cheapo quartz is just lame.

·
Registered
915 Posts
That's amazing! I'd be interested in how it compares in person. The finish doesn't look that great from the photos.
But in the end, it's a homage to a $200.00 watch? What are they pricing these things at? I didn't see it on the bay...

Mike

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
wow you know you have an icon when someone homages a 180$ watch. Nothing but affirmation that seiko is the king of affordable dive watches.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
yeah....they look absolutely nothing alike...aside from looking very much alike and clearly being a ripoff of the monster's case, the dial, the chapter ring etc
Do you not know what an "homage" is? It's exactly what you describe -- copying another watch but not pretending that it's actually made by the other company. Or do you think they're just really, really bad at spelling "Seiko"? That watch isn't going to fool anyone into thinking it's a genuine Seiko, and it doesn't try to.

I had a couple of Mintendo video-game controllers in the 80's. They didn't work that great, but something about the word "Mintendo" always made me giggle.

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
Looks like they had some leftover fake PO hands to put in there

Hmm, would a fake by any other name smell as sweet?

You can still steal someone's IP even while not trying to deceive them as to the origin of the item (in fact, that's much more common). Here they're trying to capitalize on someone else's extremely well loved aesthetic design without doing any serious independent creative work.

Let me bring up another oft-cited example, which roughly mirrors the debate here. These are two of my old watches:

When I wrote a thread that compared them, people viciously attacked Orient for making a fake Planet Ocean. In fact, the Planet Orient had never been named the Planet Orient (it has recently). That was just a WUS moniker. Looking at them closely, you can see that they have nothing in common, except for an orange bezel, which isn't even depicting the same thing (tachymeter on the Orient). The numerals, hour markers, hands, lume, date, power reserve complication, lack of an He valve, lug shapes, crown guard, caseback (one is crystal, one is steel) and dial work have virtually nothing in common. People saw an orange bezel and hey, two watches in the world cannot have orange bezels--must be a fake.

Reverse the situation and compare to a Seiko. Make a copy of the Seiko, a near exact replica, and that's a homage. So if you're following along, if you copy an Omega, it's a fake (even if you DON'T copy Omega it's a fake, you're not even allowed to have the same color scheme), if it's a Seiko clone, it's an homage.

Frankly, I don't buy it. What they're doing is illegal and immoral, even if they do not try to mislead people into thinking it came from Seiko.

An homage might be inspired by something, but it's not a copy. The Orient's orange bezel probably IS an homage to the PO's, which popularized the look. The watch itself is entirely distinct, but at least in terms of the bezel, I'd buy homage. Notice that even the area where inspiration is derived from another company isn't even close to identical. Even a different shade of orange is used.

Everyone is welcome to their opinion, but I think the opinions to the contrary are wildly inconsistent, and I imagine that if someone copied a piece of your at work that was very profitable for you, put their different name on it, and sold it again, you'd be upset about it. That's the inconsistency I'm referring to. In the abstract, people don't mind, especially if it's "just" a Seiko (something that I don't think is malicious, but probably a subconscious effect), but if the tables were turned, I think they'd reform their opinion.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Who cares. They are not marketing it as a Seiko Monster so who cares? It isn't cool to label someone as a scammer unless they are lying about something and I do not think this applies at all here.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
This is the third or fourth company I have seen make a monster homage. Invicta even has one. Seiko should be flattered.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
wow you know you have an icon when someone homages a 180$ watch. Nothing but affirmation that seiko is the king of affordable dive watches.
They really just homage everything. There were quite a few seiko 5 ones on the Bay a while back.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
I just found the eBay add. While not a scam, the ad or company looks to be a complete farce. They credit a Norwegian designer who reportedly custom designed these watches for the Norwegian Olynpic medal winners in the 2012 London Olympics. They are referred to as dive watches, but no WR rating is anywhere on the watch.

Watch is listed for $125, within spitting distance of EBay monster prices.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts