WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
  • Hello WatchUSeek! We are hosting an Ask Me Anything with Ian Schon of Schon Horology and Schon DSNG beginning on Tuesday, February 23rd at Noon, EST and closing on Thursday, February 25th at Noon EST. If you don't know of him, Ian is a desginer maker and was a senior product designer at IDEO. He is an engineer, designer and machinist who manufacturers his own watches, and also pens! If you've ever wanted to ask a question directly to a one-man watch maker, don't miss out! You can find the AMA here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a Seiko Monster and a Kobold SS Seal?

If so....

How do they compare? I have one of these models and am wondering what people think in a direct comparison (weight, accuracy, quality, value, etc.)

Thank you for your time and responses.

:)

·
Banned
11,612 Posts

If so....

How do they compare? I have one of these models and am wondering what people think in a direct comparison (weight, accuracy, quality, value, etc.)

Different league of watches. I don't know that this would be a fair comparison.

·
G-Shock Mod
14,195 Posts
weight, quality, accuracy all goes to Seal

then the rest would be OM

and if you like lume, what's better value to OM?

and my next review would be a the comparison between a Toyota Camry and a M. Benz S600 (both have 4 hours, 4 wheels 5 seat belts, and will get you from A to B) ... lol

·
Registered
641 Posts

If so....

Just pick up the Kobold, when you get bored we'll trade. I hope I won't be dissapointed.:-!

·
Banned
3,758 Posts
A better comparison would be the Kobold SEAL vs a Seiko 300 meter MarineMaster SBDX001. I have owned both and the Seiko is better by a fair bit.

And actually if you want to compare watches at similar price points it would make sense to put the SEAL up against the Seiko 600 Meter MarineMaster SBDB001 which is beyond the SEAL in every way I can think of at slightly more $$ than a stainless steel model SEAL and a lot less $$ than the Titanium model and the Seiko is Ti as well.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Thanks for the notes (I already have the Kobold SS Seal). Have a good holiday season.
I'll trade ya my Orange Monster, straight up, for your Kobold then I'll have a great holiday season! :-D
All kidding aside you are asking to compare the quality of one watch that costs less than the bracelet for another. That being said if you want to compare the physical dimensions to use you Kobold as a reference to determine if you the Monster would be a comfortable watch for you to wear check out this chart. http://www.redstart.com/watches/dimensions.htm
This will give you the dimensions of both watches.
As far as the quality of the Seiko, I think it's great and far surpasses what is expected in it's price range. That being said the Kobold cost much more and is most definately superior, in my opinion. If you compare them directly you will notice differences. My Monster is fairly accurate but it took a month of constant wear to get it there. I love my Monster and I think you should definately pick one up. It has the same manly-man feel and look as Kobold but costs alot less. If you don't like it just flip it, there are always eager buyers for Monsters.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
This is indeed a funny comparison.

In my opinion for what the Seiko costs and what it can do there is no comparison. The Seiko has better lume and is a very tough and capable dive watch at a fraction of the price.

If we just bought watches on function alone then it would be hands down the Seiko. Who would pay 10-15 times the cost for something that does the same thing?

We do not buy watches on function alone. This is where the Kobold SS seal is a better watch. The design and look and finish of the Kobold is about 10-15 times better than the Seiko. Better is a hard word to use because the Seiko is great but the Kobold definetily is a more refined watch and has bbetter movement and looks way more expensive.

If it were me and I had to pay it would be a Seiko. I would just bbuy a few Seiko's!!

As someone else here said a real comparison would be the Seiko Marine Master 300m and in that case I would choose Seiko again!!

Robzilla

1 - 10 of 10 Posts