1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Brietlingman's answer in that other thread is spot on. I think the rule is that if a Seiko has a J at the end of model number, it is made in Japan, while a K means made elsewhere. My black monster is model # SKX779K2, so I know if comes from outside of Japan.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Isn't the K2,3 is in regards to the bracelet or rubber strap? I always thought that's what it meant.

Yogev

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
K means that it was assembled in Malaysia or Singapore. the number following that is a reference to whether it comes on a strap or a specific bracelet. It doesn't matter where the watch is assembled, all the parts originate from the same factories. Even the Japanese market versions of these models source their componentry from factories outside Japan. There is no difference in quality or performance between the k and J variants of the same model.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Yeah, although Isthmus, don't the Japanese models usually sell for more? Is this just a case of a preceived quality increase? I'd say yes, and it may also be that people equate cheap products to these other countries vs. Japan.

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
Yeah, although Isthmus, don't the Japanese models usually sell for more? Is this just a case of a preceived quality increase? I'd say yes, and it may also be that people equate cheap products to these other countries vs. Japan.
Exactly. The Japanese domestic market models tend to trade for about 20%-30% more amongst collectors than their international market counterparts. The funny thing is that when the same model is offered as either an international model and with a JDM version, in almost every case the only difference is a minor stylistic difference (often the JDM variants will have the jewel count written on the dial). Some collectors feel that the minor difference is enough to set their watches apart from the majority and warrants the additional 20%-30%. I disagree.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am familiar with the J and K variants. I understand that if it says Seiko it is quality. I was just curious why some of the dials had diffferent markings, specifically the Monsters. Mine says Movt Singapore 7S26-2086 R2 on the dial and Movt Singapore MS on caseback. I know of other Monsters that do not say SIngapore on the dial. I am familiar with the SKX007J and K models but was unaware that the Monsters SKX779/81 had a Japan version. Do they?

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
I am familiar with the SKX007J and K models but was unaware that the Monsters SKX779/81 had a Japan version. Do they?
Not a Japan version, but the BM and the OM do have a "Made In japan" Version (that's the what the dial code says). The funny thing is that they are not Japan domestic market models, but rather export models for the middle east (the alternate language is Arabic on these models). It is widely believed that these watches are manufactured and assembled in the same factories a the other monster models. AFAIK, no monsters are actually made in Japan.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
The Monster I received on Tuesday has no markings as to where this guy was produced. I have a production date of Sept. 07 but nothing else but the dial has the 7s26-2084 R2 on the dial. Any other way to tell the origin or should I just forget about it because it doesn't really matter?? :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Not a Japan version, but the BM and the OM do have a "Made In japan" Version (that's the what the dial code says). The funny thing is that they are not Japan domestic market models, but rather export models for the middle east (the alternate language is Arabic on these models). It is widely believed that these watches are manufactured and assembled in the same factories a the other monster models. AFAIK, no monsters are actually made in Japan.
..."no monsters are actually made in Japan"...

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I'm the guy who posted in question in the dive watch section.

Thank you fro your replies. I've learned a great deal.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Torned,

I'm not sure what you're trying to say in your post.... enlighten us?
Indeed. I was looking at the pic' for a few minutes and could not decipher the message. Spell out for I (and others).

How about "SNM" -- would the "M" stand for "Malaysia" (from where my SNM035 movement hails; yes, I know other East Asian countries might've also been involved -- to me, all that helps clarify that the SNM035 IS ALL Seiko :-! ).

Regarding "Made in Japan" on the dial. I've also seen "Made in Japan" on the dial of the Macy's exclusive Premier automatic that they carry (check it out if you're passing by a Macy's or go to their online 'site; that particluar Premier's a beaut! Macy's did well to procure that one).

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi all,
I hope nobody get offended by simple truth...
However font size does look inappropriate... sorry bout that.

No hidden meaning...
I borrowed the sentence but picture is mine!

Sincerely,
Ned

·
Registered
696 Posts
VWs that are made in Germany(Wolfsburg) are more reliable then those that are made in Mexico. I'm pretty active on VW vortex.net, and thats the general consensus of the guru's.

Not that has much to do with the monster though...

I could care less where the monster is made, the fact remains that its still a bold, daring and great all around watch.

Great pic ned!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts