WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new seiko nh35 powered watch has been regulated to have +- 2 seconds per day accuracy and it's been great for 5 days or so.
I haven't taken my watch off since I put it on 5 days ago and this morning when I woke up, I found it it actually lost 20+ minutes of time, despite being only a few seconds off at 5 days.

Has anyone had this issue before with the NH35? Is my movement broken somehow? I'm pretty sure I'm active enough to keep it fully wound.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
20 minutes or 20 seconds? If it’s minutes then something is wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
237 Posts
Maybe you are not as active as you think... or an issue with the main spring...

·
Registered
408 Posts
This is going to sound weird...make sure the seconds hand isn't making contact with the glass.

I had this happen with a Hamilton auto. It ran incredibly accurately and I'd wear it night and day. Once I started taking it off at night, I'd wake up in the morning to find it had stopped... however, once I'd pick it up or even just nudge the watch, it would start right up again.

I took it to a local swiss watch maker and he pretty quickly discovered the issue... the seconds hand was making contact with the crystal. A quick adjustment and it's been fine ever since. He said this kind of thing does happen more often than I'd think.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is going to sound weird...make sure the seconds hand isn't making contact with the glass.

I had this happen with a Hamilton auto. It ran incredibly accurately and I'd wear it night and day. Once I started taking it off at night, I'd wake up in the morning to find it had stopped... however, once I'd pick it up or even just nudge the watch, it would start right up again.

I took it to a local swiss watch maker and he pretty quickly discovered the issue... the seconds hand was making contact with the crystal. A quick adjustment and it's been fine ever since. He said this kind of thing does happen more often than I'd think.
Hmm, that's very interesting to hear. I'm not really sure how to test it as I can't disassemble it completely and it seems to run fine during the day. Unless maybe a certain sleeping position can cause it to potentially get stuck on the crystal?

·
Registered
106 Posts
If that's the case, I think we can rule out magnetism. It's possible that it's a mainspring issue, or that you're not as active as you think.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Does this watch have a screw down crown? If it doesn't, it's entirely possible that the crown may have been caught on something without you knowing it.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Can you elaborate? Is the main spring not being wound or something?
So as you move you swing the rotor that winds a big spring right? So my guess is that while you move around all day it's kept at maximum wind. When you take it off at night it only unwinds and the spring is malformed/defective so it does not deliver power at a certain point.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So as you move you swing the rotor that winds a big spring right? So my guess is that while you move around all day it's kept at maximum wind. When you take it off at night it only unwinds and the spring is malformed/defective so it does not deliver power at a certain point.
Yeah it does wind the mainspring. If that was the case, why would it happen on day 5 and not day 1? Maybe it's that and the fact that I'm possibly not fully winding it?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Which Seiko model do you have that has the screw down crown which is losing -20 minutes? Is it the Seiko SRP777 day/date divers watch with the black dial and black silicone rubber strap? Can you post a picture of your watch on here please?

The great John Holmes wears a digital watch and Ron Jeremy wears Crocs.

·
Premium Member
61,773 Posts
Before you panic make sure to repeat the process with a fully wound watch. I’ve had watches stop just before dawn then start up when I got up making it look like the watch has lost a heap of time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Which Seiko model do you have that has the screw down crown which is losing -20 minutes? Is it the Seiko SRP777 day/date divers watch with the black dial and black silicone rubber strap? Can you post a picture of your watch on here please?

The great John Holmes wears a digital watch and Ron Jeremy wears Crocs.
It's a an SKX (in a CT 0 oclock crown case)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts