WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a short term investment maturing in November, the aim of which was to buy myself a Breitling Super Ocean 42.

But my head has now been turned by the Seiko SBDC101.

Even with the £2000 difference between the two, I am torn.

Persuade me one way or the other guys.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I think the Seiko is a more attractive watch. The dial looks nicer, and the chunky indices means that the date window at 3 is very balanced. Plus the price difference is significant. You could buy the Seiko and then buy another Seiko and STILL have money left. I say go Seiko and pick another watch to lust for - you will be a good way there with the 2k you didn't spend on the Breitling.

·
Registered
992 Posts
If you truly get the same joy from the Seiko, then get Seiko for sure. I always try to get the most joy from the least amount of money as possible on purchases.

However, I will say the SO is nice. I sold mine and I regret it. I’m actually thinking of buying the blue 42. I had the yellow 44.

I will say the cost difference isn’t quite $2k. You can get a SO for $2.5k brand new through gray or used around 2k. In that case it would only be $1k more than the Seiko.

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
Buy what you like better, but the Breitling, IMO, is worth the extra cash. The Seiko is nice, but it's more like in the Oris / Longines league. For slightly more, I think I'd rather have a Longines Hydroconquest.

Breitling:
COSC movement; Top Grade ETA 2824 derivative; Breitling plates all the parts with rhodium for better corrosion resistance
Crown Guards
500M WR (if that matters)
Available in 36, 42, 44, and 48mm sizes with many band / color choices

Seiko:
It's a Seiko, not a Grand Seiko
200M WR (still good enough for diving)
Decent, but not stellar 6R35 movement
Only one size: 40.5mm
Bracelet has scratch resistant treatment
Seiko is notorious for misaligned indices / chapter rings / bezels. Not sure I want to take that chance.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Buy what you like better, but the Breitling, IMO, is worth the extra cash. The Seiko is nice, but it's more like in the Oris / Longines league. For slightly more, I think I'd rather have a Longines Hydroconquest.

Breitling:
COSC movement; Top Grade ETA 2824 derivative; Breitling plates all the parts with rhodium for better corrosion resistance
Crown Guards
500M WR (if that matters)
Available in 36, 42, 44, and 48mm sizes with many band / color choices

Seiko:
It's a Seiko, not a Grand Seiko
200M WR (still good enough for diving)
Decent, but not stellar 6R35 movement
Only one size: 40.5mm
Bracelet has scratch resistant treatment
Seiko is notorious for misaligned indices / chapter rings / bezels. Not sure I want to take that chance.
+1

Gesendet von meinem Mi 9 SE mit Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,328 Posts
The Breitling is a better watch - I would find an AD who will sell the Breitling 15% discounted (the most on new model's you're likely to expect in a UK AD)
and buy the Superocean Green 44

I say this as a Seikoholic

Reactions: simon1003

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I’d hold off and sit on the money for a month or so until I was sure.
theres no rush

·
Registered
60 Posts
I agree with waiting until you are sure. Maybe go see some ADs to try them both on. Or could you get both at a discounted price on the forums?

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Both solid choices, I’d definitely try both on though. The SO42 is very matte finished so if you’re looking for a bit of flash, it’s not the watch for you. I love mine for exactly that reason though, looks great in all lighting conditions and it’s got nice contrasts between the polished bits on the bezel/crown and the brushed bezel numbers/indexes. The lume is outstanding, better than my PO and seiko divers. The crystal and AR on breitlings is best in class imo. The only area it could use an upgrade is the clasp, it’s functional and does the job but if it had an on the fly adjustment the watch would be perfect.

Suppose after writing all that you know where my vote goes haha

I did just pick up the other new seiko release and it’s also worth considering.

Good luck with the search!

·
Registered
519 Posts
As much as I love Seiko, I've had bad luck with their accuracy. Though as hell and run forever but most of my Seiko autos are terribly inaccurate. That being said, I still wear and love them. Just thinking of getting 4 of them regulated as soon as I can find a good place to do it. Breitling makes a nice watch. Maybe consider Sinn a well in your price range. I've had an excellent experience with their watches. For the Breitling money, you could even pull a used Seiko MM600. Fantastic watch. If at the end of the day, the Breitling is what you want, get it! Just get it used, you'll get a great deal if you keep your eyes peeled. Breitlings have terrible value retention. Good for those of us that don't mind a watch that's been worn.

·
Registered
177 Posts
So I have a short term investment maturing in November, the aim of which was to buy myself a Breitling Super Ocean 42.

But my head has now been turned by the Seiko SBDC101.

Even with the £2000 difference between the two, I am torn.

Persuade me one way or the other guys.
I'd go with the Breitling every time. Only watch I'd consider over it from Seiko Group would be a Grand Seiko.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Seiko.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
If the cheaper Seiko makes you happy, by all means. That being said, the heavily modified Breitling ETA is pretty impressive and also their bracelets are incredible (minus the clasp). I'd pay the extra money fir the upgrades in quality personally (although I'd look at a Seawolf, they're more fun).

Reactions: simon1003

·
Registered
8,558 Posts
Mmm none of the two watches are stellar IMO. If you have that budget there are a lot of better choices, the MM300 for instance. Or the Oris 65, LLD, or even the BB even it's an absurdly hyped watch.

·
Registered
29,221 Posts
Buy what you like. Like what you buy.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts