WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Within the past several months, I acquired two new Orange Monsters, each from a different vendor. I know for sure that the color of the "orange" on the dials are different.

I am not sure if it is good practice to put seller names here as to where I purchased each watch, but will do so for reference.

Both have the 120 click bezel, and screw down crown. I am testing the one I call "Version 2" since the Dec. 24th, when I received the watch by seeing how accurate it is. Again both watches are new, still with their plastic protective sleeves on the band.

I also know that my eyes are perfectly fine, and can tell there are indeed "two" colors of orange. I apologize for the large photos.

"Version 1" obtained from well-known seller on E-bay starting with a "Prem...W....." - Serial#: 820891

"Version 2" obtained from recent WorldofW..........com sale - Serial#: 881677

Here are both side by side (Version 1 on the left, Version 2 on the right).
Both watches look, feel the same, have 120 click bezels, screw down crown. The only difference is the "darkness" of the dial.

Another side by side shot:

The questions I have:

1. Have you seen Orange Monsters like these? Which color should the dial be?

2. Is either one a fake? I am guessing no, but I would like to find out best I can.

3. Which Orange monster dial do you have on your Monster????

Thank you,

Ilham

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When did the Orange Monsters first started to be made?

I was assuming that the initial "8" in both of the serial numbers meant the watch was manufactured in 2008.

Hmm...

Best,
Ilham

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Thanks for pointing this out. Now, maybe I did not read this in your posts, but are you also saying that both OMs are 2008s?

If so, I doubt that if one was sitting in a window that it faded that much. Could be a fake.

Are all the Monster hallmarks there? Is the logo on the caseback large (authentic), or small (fake)? Is the serial number lined up?

Check out this link on how to spot a fake Seiko (general):
http://quartzimodo.info/articles/how-to-spot-a-fake-seiko-watch/

Have you thought of e-mailing COSERV the serial #? They will help you confirm the authenticity. BTW, my OM has the darker dial.

Angelis

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Haven't noticed the difference on the colors of the Oms here in the Philippines. I have noticed one OM from an AD here with the letter "D" on the "diver's 200m" was somehow cut off :-d

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Monster dials are painted, my guess is color variations of differerent batches of paint. At the price point these sell for I do not think Seiko makes sure every batch is the exact same color as the batch before and after.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Monster dials are painted, my guess is color variations of differerent batches of paint. At the price point these sell for I do not think Seiko makes sure every batch is the exact same color as the batch before and after.
Yeah my OM is a little "less orange" than some others I've seen, even accounting for color correction on photos. I'm pretty sure you don't have to worry about it being fake, though.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi All,

Thank you for your quick replies, even during the holidays!!!

I am at work currently, but will get back home later to investigate further.

What should I report back? And how would I contact COSERV? If the first digit for both of their serials start with an "8", these are 2008 and not 1998, correct? How many percent can I be certain that both are genuine?

This is really interesting because if they are both genuine, then most likely I will keep both. The different orange color actually makes it look like a different watch. Notice in "Version 2", the dial color matches the color of the chapter ring insert, where as in "Version 1", the dial is obviously "less orange" and lighter than the chapter ring insert.

Thank you,
ilham

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
But I noticed more just looking at the photos.

The black markings on the bezel, "Version 1" seems to be wider (black paint) than "Version 2".

Also, the dial markings for the "55, 50, etc" (painted in black) seem to be "more heavy typed" on "Version 1". Version 2 black text of the 55, 50, and so on, on the dial, isn't as hard or thick.

I am sure of this, but both are genuine? I have a 30-day return warranty on Version 2 from WorldofW....com... and "Version 1" from "PremierWor......." on Ebay was purchased a couple months ago, and may probably not be returned.

Best,
ilham

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey Elmo, mine seems to be more of a bright orange, but it is hard to compare to your pics. Just curious. Why did you get two of them?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The intention was to get one at a good price to have someone else MOD the watch....

But I really would prefer that these are genuine to begin with!

Best,
ilham

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I just compared 3 orange monster dials I have here, one is my personal watch purchased new 2 years ago, one was just purchased on the world of watches deal, and one is a customers watch.

Studying all 3 under a 5x and 10x loupe there are subtle differences on each dial with color, text size, and gloss. From 12 inches away they all look the same, except maybe the color variation of the lume.

Since I cannot prove that any of these are fake I am chalking this up to production variances. Maybe there are different suppliers for paint, chapter rings, printing, I don't know.

Looking at the back of 2 of the chapter rings there are differences in the posts that engage the dial and one of the rings does not have the ejector pin marks. So it looks like the rings came out of different injection molding tools.

Suffice to say I have not seen a rash of OM fakes and when you are making as many watches as Seiko makes you will have a little variance from batch to batch, especially if there are suppliers, and or different locations involved.

·
Premium Member
7,700 Posts
But I really would prefer that these are genuine to begin with!
Best,
ilham
ilham,

I believe you are worrying way too much about nothing.

At the price point of the Seiko OM, I would be surprised to see any fakes with such subtle differences from genuine as you are concerned about. It would simply cost too much to make such a good fake.

Has anyone ever seen a verified fake Monster? Pics? I have not.

No one knows for sure where all the parts for the OM are made (Japan, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, China ...) or if they are only made in one place - or even on the same machine in that place. Therefore, with what is probably a fairly large manufacturing volume, I would expect normal manufacturing variances like we are discussing here.

Frankly, I would be more concerned about how your OM keeps time than how it looks.

Rest assured that BOTH your OM's are genuine.

HTH

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Hi All,

Thank you for your quick replies, even during the holidays!!!

I am at work currently, but will get back home later to investigate further.

What should I report back? And how would I contact COSERV? If the first digit for both of their serials start with an "8", these are 2008 and not 1998, correct? How many percent can I be certain that both are genuine?

This is really interesting because if they are both genuine, then most likely I will keep both. The different orange color actually makes it look like a different watch. Notice in "Version 2", the dial color matches the color of the chapter ring insert, where as in "Version 1", the dial is obviously "less orange" and lighter than the chapter ring insert.

Thank you,
ilham
Ilham,

I understand your concerns. Try e-mailing COSERV with the serial # of both your watches, and ask them to confirm their authenticity---they did it for me, it was fast and easy.

[email protected]

Seiko - Coserv

Phone: 800-722-4452
1111 MacArthur Blvd
Mahwah, New Jersey, 07430
U.S.A.

Angelis

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
I agree with V8 that what you have can easily be attributed to production variances. I have seen this happen before to an orange monster that was displayed on a window that got hit by direct sunlight for several hours a day. After two weeks the dial had faded considerably more than the chapter ring. I wouldn't be too concerned with what you have. It is definitely not a fake.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you so much!

Angelis, I will go ahead and email Coserv to make sure.

Do you think there is enough differences to keep both watches? I can tell the difference from more than 2 feet away. Kind of interesting how two of the "same" watches can be so "different".

I will keep you guys updated.

Best,
Ilham

·
Premium Member
963 Posts
I too have seen some odd production variances in the Monsters. In particular I noticed:

-smaller(narrower) print on bezel (the dots were way smaller as well) (photo below)
-shinier bezel compared to more machined looking
-darker green hour markers (not the lume, but the part the lume is on)
-Bezel click at 12 o'clock being just slightly askew from a backward click
-noticeably smaller bezel lume dot on one sample (also in pic below)

So there are definately some production differences in these watches. None were really going to be an issue and the only way to tell was side by side.

Here is a thread I started on the lume differences

Here is a pic showing the different bezel printing, 12 o'clock lume dot, shinier bezel and lume marker differences.

The one on the left had larger print and the depressions for the markings were rounded at the top, whereas the right one is more machined and also less shiny than the right. Basically the one on the right looks like they just machined it more after painting the numbers and dots.

Also, notice the smaller 12 o'clock lume dot on the left one. Both watches brand new but different sources.

As well, the left watch had much darker green lume markers (not the actual lume but the surrounding part of the marker)

By the way, here is a pic from the 'show your monsters' thread that shows the lighter dial color when compared to the chapter ring. Looks just like the one you are concerned about

·
Registered
305 Posts
You have some sharp eyes, I never noticed it before, but mine seems a little lighter then the ones I see here, just always attributed it to the photo (lighting, etc).

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi All,

Thank you for your interest in this topic :) It certainly baffled me at first.

I sent an email to COSERV and will wait for a response (if any).

Best,
ilham

1 - 20 of 26 Posts