1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,370 Posts

I am unable to access the site. Message reads "Error#404,page not found,required resource not available". :oops:
Mine is a Seiko 5 my father gave me recently. He says he got it from his father during 1974 / 1975. But unfortunately my grandfather is no more and we do not know when he bought the watch. Has a SS case and dial, day at 9'O clock and date at 3'O clock. No radium. There are two numbers at the back. The one at the top reads 6119-8090 and the one at the bottom reads 959096. Can you help me to find out the production date? :thanks
brgds
Gansan

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The calculator has to be ported to a new site as it's no longer hosted at University of Kansas. We'll watch for it and as soon as it's working again we'll re-post here.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
The calculator has to be ported to a new site as it's no longer hosted at University of Kansas. We'll watch for it and as soon as it's working again we'll re-post here.

I also sent the same query to Seiko customer service in Japan. Their reply was that the watch in question was made between 1967 - 1976 and it was not possible to give the exact date / year.:think:

Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I doubt anyone is still reading this thread but Seiko dealers have in the back of thier parts books the case code, if they were a dealer in the sixties and seventies and kept thier books they will be able to help, I bought 3 old Seiko Chronographs from a watchmaker who showed me the books and the data, dateing the watches I bought from him, he wouldn't sell the books even when I offered $100. each.

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
Hi -

Great news! The link is back up and can be reached here. I've used this one several times to escape being scammed on eBay when going for a vintage diver, highly recommended!

JohnF

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi -

Great news! The link is back up and can be reached here. I've used this one several times to escape being scammed on eBay when going for a vintage diver, highly recommended!

JohnF
I have purchase a rare seiko 5 SNX111 from ebay. By using the tool I am able to get this information. But I am doubt that this is ten years watch.

Watch movement number: 7S26

Watch serial number: 871253

Production date: Jul, 1998

My SKX009 also dated 1997 but actually manufactured in 2007. Could anyone confirm that there may be inaccuracy when using this tool? Thank you.

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
Hi -

You'll have to take this up with the guy who runs the database. Can't help you any further, sorry.

JohnF

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
That calculator link is still broke. The photos database continues to be available.
Really don't need the calculator link, this is very easy. All Seikos have a serial number engraved into the case. The first two digits are the key:

1. You need to know the decade when the watch was made - I don't think there were any designs that remained unchanged in Seiko's catalogue for over ten years.

2. The first digit in the serial number = the last digit in the year the watch was produced. ("1" could be 1971, 1981, etc.)

3. The second digit = the month of production ("1" = January, "2" = February..."O" = October, "N' = November and "D" = December)

So a watch with a serial number that starts in "14", could have been made in April 1971, or April 1981, and so on.

Any other digits in the engraving is the serial number for that model.

It's that simple,
gatorcpa

·
Registered
175 Posts
A fair number of people email me at the WatchSleuth website asking when their Seiko watch was made so I built my own version of Jayhawk's production date calculator.

I'm calling it the Seiko Date Finder. I'll subscribe to this thread to watch for comments so that people can let me know if they have any issues with it or suggestions for improvement.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts