WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Spinning off a separate thread so we don't continue to pollute the New and Upcoming Seiko Watches discussion.

I got a chance to see a SLA055 in person at my local AD this afternoon (no I did not buy it), and was able to compare it to a MM200. At initial glance they look similar, but the case shape is indeed different, the SLA appears to be slimmer, and the finishing is significantly better. Whether it's worth 3x the price is up to you.

And yes, the MM200 bezel was misaligned. o_O

Watch Analog watch Photograph White Light

Watch Analog watch Photograph Clock Watch accessory

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Helmet Automotive tire

Anyone pick one up?

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Wait… you said “3x the price”? I read several sources the MSRP on the new SLA055 was around $4500. What does your dealer sell the Marinemaster for? I thought the Marinemaster MSRP was like $3000?

·
7,121 Posts
Wait… you said “3x the price”? I read several sources the MSRP on the new SLA055 was around $4500. What does your dealer sell the Marinemaster for? I thought the Marinemaster MSRP was like $3000?
That was a MM200 😉

Reactions: Biginboca

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Watch Analog watch Photograph White Light

The MM200 is better looking IMO. I dislike the 4:30 date window. I know why they did it but it looks even stranger than it usually does with the offset crown position. I really dislike that the white bezel markings on the SLA do not match the color of the hands & hour markers. But the biggest issue for me is that I have no faith the watch on the right will keep better time than the one on the left. Seiko can, and should be offering COSC performance in SLA-level watches.

·
Premium Member
3,795 Posts
I dislike the 4:30 date window. I know why they did it but it looks even stranger than it usually does with the offset crown position.
Agree. It doesn't really work for me either. My SNR029 has an offset crown and date at 3 and it looks "proper." Otherwise, good looking watches, the both of them.

Reactions: JJ312

·
Registered
868 Posts
Would buy one all day long if they were priced the same as an sla021, it should also come with a bracelet for that price.
Or even a little more for the EverBrilliant Steel upgrade, but with a nice well made bracelet, 2nd strap (rubber or NATO) and accuracy that fits the price range they sell this for. It’s time to show us Seiko fits this up market push.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Spinning off a separate thread so we don't continue to pollute the New and Upcoming Seiko Watches discussion.

I got a chance to see a SLA055 in person at my local AD this afternoon (no I did not buy it), and was able to compare it to a MM200. At initial glance they look similar, but the case shape is indeed different, the SLA appears to be slimmer, and the finishing is significantly better. Whether it's worth 3x the price is up to you.

And yes, the MM200 bezel was misaligned. o_O

View attachment 16312979

View attachment 16312980

View attachment 16312983

Anyone pick one up?
Very much appreciate the side by side, thanks. Really not a fan of how small the dial on the SLA looks. I'm curious if it's the same tooling as the 28mm MM300 dials, or something else. The beveled crystal on the MM200 makes its dial look smaller than it actually is, but even that still seems bigger.

·
Registered
316 Posts
anyone have insights on the 2022 lineup and whether there will be more dial iterations of this 1968 reinterpretation? I’m absolutely in love with the case shape, crown and bezel, but not a fan of the dial colours

·
Registered
11,590 Posts
I like the colour - bezel + insert looks fantastic - crown assembly an improvement - fit n finish superb
first thought on dial close up was it was pressed (whatever) detail was amazing. I like the 'whiteness' of the steel.

I would definitely want a bracelet - Seiko need to get their act together here - lagging way behind Rolex & Omega. I would prefer it without a date, and the 4.30 placing has always struck me as odd: is it so difficult to configure it at 4.00? and why's the crown at 3.30 for that matter? The different locations of the 4.00 marker/Bezel 20, crown, and date all in close proximity but all different seems like a visual jumble - by comparison, the SLA025 was perfect here.

Nice watch, but Seiko can do better - should do

Reactions: Mtvandi

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think when you have it in hand, the watch presents a pretty compelling package. You can really tell the step up in quality vs. the SPB line. Like I said, it will be a personal value judgement if it's worth the premium in price (even over the MM300). I will say that the 8L55 hi-beat Seikos tend to be in the $6k range (eg. SLA037), so I'm not surprised that this iteration has a 8L35. I do agree it would be preferable if Seiko regulated it to tighter tolerances.

Personally I was not taken by the dial and colors of the SLA055. I'll be looking at the SLA057 at some point next week when my AD gets it to see if it strikes my fancy. Happy to take specific photos for anyone on the fence.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts