WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

I have a Seiko Quartz "H357-516A" - with a leaked battery. I've tried changing battery, but no luck.

My question is, can it be saved after a leaked battery? Or are you just out of luck?

It was my dads watch, I could just buy a new one, but if it could be saved, that would be preferred of course.

·
Registered
16,406 Posts
Depends how badly it has leaked.

Remove the battery and the movement and try to gently clean it up with some isopropyl alcohol.

Do you have any photos of the damage?

SoOoO many watches, SoOoO little time...

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Leaked battery = problems.

Battery acid on contacts and getting into the circuit board parts is the issue.

It may be that it just needs a service clean. The outcome is unknown until this is done.

Take a trot through to see what the movements consists of.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
For larger batteries in the kids' toys, I use baking soda with just enough water to form a paste, then apply and remove with a cotton swab. If only the contact got hit, I'd give it a try with a bit on the end of a toothpick and going very slowly to make sure I don't gum up anything else.

My worst-case for any of my sentimental watches would be a movement swap out of a donor watch. The "James Bond" connection doesn't help prices on those, but a quick search shows some decent movements with wrecked cases for sale online at a reasonable price.

·
Premium Member
72,541 Posts
It may just be a bit of surface corrosion which will respond to some IpA on a cotton bud or it may be a major leak that has done a lot of damage to the internals. Clean it up as best you can and try your luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts