WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Seiko Coutura model number SNA459 that I'm no longer wearing. I was talking to a buddy about selling it and he said it's not worth it... that it's only worth about $50. I just find that hard to believe. It's in excellent shape so it's not a condition issue. Are the resale values on these watches (and Seikos in general) that bad? I'm not trying to sell the watch here, I'm just trying to get an understanding of how well Seikos hold their value. Thanks.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I don't believe that watches should hold their value, with the exception of the multi complication watches that are truly hand made by a single watch maker and are pieces of art (subjective), watches have traditionally held very little value, much of it sentimental. Only recently have "standard" watches been considered collectors items or good investments, and that is through the marketing genius of the Swiss watch industry. The Swiss have taken a page from the DeBeer's diamond book creating a false value. Seiko is an awesome watch manufacturer and their watches are as good if not better then most Swiss makers, but new they sell for less, why? Perceived value.

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
Hi -

Watch valuations are tough: ultimately, they lose a lot of their resale value if at all worn.

Over on the vintages forum, we don't do valuations of vintage watches for a number of reasons: see this for more...

JohnF

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I think if you put your Watch on eBay you will get a pretty good price for it. I have sold a few Seiko's and Citizens there, they have always done well for me. I sold an ordinary Seiko chrono alarm on there that I had for several years, and got more than I paid for it! If you try to sell lesser known brands though, you won't get much for them.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Depends really, if you buy a watch that a lot of people on this forum like. Such as a G-shock, Mako, Monster, or other popular models, it isn't uncommon to only take a $5-10 dollar hit on a used watch. Automatics sell better, divers sell well, bracelets draw more, really the more time you spend on here, the better you will be able to look at a watch and determine if it is a good deal or not. Many times I'm like, well, if I get it and don't like it, I could flip it and maybe loose 5-15 bucks max or I've even made money on a well used watch. It's just like any field where there are collectors, ones who have been around longer can usually tell which are the safer buys and keep a look on market trends... sounds nerdy but if you are looking for a safer buy, look at the sales forums. See what sales, for how much, etc. You will learn a lot about the watch market this way, as well as then being able to really "spot" a deal....

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
As a follow up. In the long run, watches don't represent a good investment. Unless you buy in the very high end segment. Even Grand Seiko's rarely appreciate, but that isn't to say they aren't as good or better than the Swiss counterparts that do appreciate. As it has been said, it is marketing and market demand. Before I buy any watch I check old posts in the sales forum for that watch. This is to get an idea of the resale price in case I don't like it, if it has poor resale, it may affect my choice if I'm already on the "fence" about a watch. Or if I see one that sells really strong and I run across a really good deal, I'll buy, try it, and flip it if I don't like it... In the beginning of my collecting, I generally lost money, lately, I still lose, but it isn't nearly as much, I've also been able to break even and on a few occasions, made some money...

·
11,520 Posts
I have seen a lot of Seikos go for $40-$80 on eBay, even the Kinetics. Some of them in VERY good condition. Sign into eBay and then check out completed listings. Used Seikos unless very rare are $10- $100 in the couple days I checked out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts