WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I just scored a very interesting Seiko from 1975; check it out:

[For the seller's posting and more pics, click here:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/170229/message/1257091659/FS-++Good+Looking+Seiko+5606-8110+from+1975---]

It's a Seiko auto 5606-8110, with a 23 jewel movement they used to put in Lord Matics - supposed to be quite a good movement! Anyway, I found it quite interesting - it's in very good shape, runs very well, has a NOS Seiko strap and gold-toned Seiko buckle, and I found the "fade" dial and chunky gold markings interesting and unusual. And $75 won't break the bank! (you'll notice I have a thing for "interesting;" this includes watches as well as people!).

I haven't received it yet, but I'm sure it'll be in wearable condition. However, I'm thinking of having some restoration work done to it - to see how well it can "shine" up. Without breaking the bank. Here's what I have in mind:

1. Clean and oil the movement (definitely)
2. Polish the case (definitely)
3. New crystal (if necessary).
4. Clean the face and markings, if necessary (?). This is one of my questions: is this a "normal" part of restoring a watch to its former glory? Is it difficult and / or expensive to clean a watch dial?
5. New lume, if necessary (is this difficult and / or expensive? I don't have a lume fetish; I'm more concerned how an old watch looks in the daytime, so if I skip this step, I will still sleep at night).

Now, for some important questions:
I'm on Long Island (NY); does anyone know of a GOOD jeweler in this area? (personal note: I recently brought a new watch to a local jeweler to change the stem; he handed it back to me broken and told me to send it in for warranty work! Gah!!!).

Or, does anyone know of a watch "wizard" (in the US) who does this kind of work? I'm not looking for miracles, just good basic service at decent prices. Maybe someone knows of a jeweler - one who understands watches and cares about them - where I can send the watch, sort of one-stop-shopping, and he'll give it a good 'once over,' and then mail it back to me??? And NOT over-bill me?

How much do you think this work should cost me? I'm thinking I don't want to sink over, ummm, another $100 or so into this baby. If it were a Grand Seiko, King Seiko, or even Lord Marvel, that might be a different story, but....well, you know how it is.

Anyway, thanks for reading my post! Any info or advice will be appreciated. I also accept compliments. ;-) Have a great night.

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
If it is casework you need, the best metal worker on the forums (and one of the better priced and fastest ones) is Swedefreak. he is a member here and he is located in Rochester. PM him, he should be able to sort out your watch's metalwork and probably hook you up with new seals and a new crystal.

he is not a watchmaker though, so servicing of the movement will have to be done separately.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I've only heard good things about Jack at IWW and Randall Benson. I've not used either but I'll go with Randall for my next watch project. I could give you Randall's contact info if you'd like. It's also a good idea to investigoogle some of the references posted here. Some watchmakers are probably better than others with regard to attention to detail, communication and time frame for completion of work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts