WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone with both these watches (or anyone with anything to say :p) would care to compare or comment on their respective fit and finish?

I'm not too fussed about the technical aspects and differences (create another thread if you want to argue that :p), but rather solely the fit and finish.

Can you say that one is objectively better than the other? (be it via an eye-loupe or something?)

Or does one just feel better than the other?

They both appear to be of the nicest quality, and are around (ok, fine, $100 difference :p) the same price, both black dials, both can be either dressy or casual etc., etc... you get my drift ;)

What do you think?

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
I've owned Orient Stars (not that model), but have held and examined that model.

I currently own a SARB 021 and I think they're about the same in terms of quality, fit-and-finish, and feel. As always, each will feel a bit different on your wrist.

I think they're so close in quality and finish that it's just a matter of which design you prefer. I prefer the Seiko and think it's a perfect inexpensive dress watch that also works with jeans. I'm not a fan of "power meters" on automatic watches, but I know some people enjoy them.

I think anybody choosing a watch in this price range would be happy with either.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Just personal preference. The SARB021 looks bold and classy on this picture, while the WZ0071EL looks good but its power reserve indicator throws the symmetry off just a bit:

Pics by watch-tanaka.com

·
Banned
5,850 Posts
I have the SARB021 and I also own the older model of the OS Classic that differs from the current model only by the movement and the texture on the dial.

Both are very nice watches, but I give the edge to the Seiko. The dial is an amazing perfect pool of black ink. The hands are nicely finished and look so much better without any lume. The top of the index markers are also finished with a cross hatching texture. In the right light they look suspended over the black dial. The angular case on the SARB seems to have a feeling of precision to it.

Bracelet/clasp are probably equal. SARB has a better movement even comparing to the EL Orient movement.

The OS is no slouch. It is a very nice watch and if I was a normal person it could easily be the best watch I would ever own and I would be very comfortable with that. But with watches, it is the little details that make the biggest difference and for that I give the edge to the Seiko.

·
Registered
9,132 Posts
for something not-so-dressy....Orient Star WZ0091ER

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Heya "blabbermouth" :-d ...err I mean silent

quite a dilemma you have....a good one though!

I've owned both, but not at the same time. They are close indeed. They are both great watches that would cost twice as much if it had SWISS MADE on the dial. I'll add a few things some said some not.

The bracelets are = but the Orient has 3 micro holes in the clasp vs 2 in the sarb. Something worth mentioning as I found this to be an issue for my "in-between" sized wrist. Several others have reported this as well in the Spirit line in general, but don't let that discourage. I worked it out though with a custom half link from yobokieS.

I'll repeat what has been said here and say the dial is stunning and the attention to detail is quite high on the SARB. I don't mind the EL's shape, it is classic yes, but look at those 2 pics again from watcholic....the Seiko is so sharp/angular while still having the classiness it just stands out for me.

The crown at 4 on the EL was fine, but I prefer the 3. They both wind smooth with nice feedback no screw down crown.

What has not been said are both the watches legibility in just about any light as long as there is a little...it's incredible! Both! The edge does go to the sarb for the larger reflecting hands.

Size wise they are about identical with the sarb wearing slightly larger due to 3 o'clock crown. They are both kind of forgettable on the wrist (in a good way) especially if your used to wearing divers.

Mike said it well "I think they're so close in quality and finish that it's just a matter of which design you prefer."

Ya know for me I like to look at pics....so I'm going to post some for you to look at some of which you've probably already seen hope you don't mind. Wish you luck in your choice can't go wrong with either!

SARB

1 - 6 of 6 Posts