WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm totally new to watches so please excuse my newbieness. I was initially only looking for a stainless steel watch with a black dial, but after browsing amazon for a couple of hours, I ran across this watch and I've been obsessed with it ever since. I've seen similar-looking models to it like the SNE039, but I'm leaning towards automatics because of its history and its ability to last longer. I have quite a small wrist (6.5 inch) so I have a feeling this watch will fit me perfectly after looking at wristshots of others with similar-sized wrists.

I want to know what the pros and cons are of this watch because I can't seem to find much info on it. However, I saw this thread as I was browsing:
(can't post links because of 0 posts history, but it's located in the second page of this "Seiko & Citizen" category titled "Sarb033 from Chino quickset date not working")

What is a quickset date? And how common is this problem?
Are there any other problems I should know about this particular model?
How often should I get it serviced?
I live in the US so I'm been made aware of some reputable sellers such as Chino and seiyajapan. Are there any others that I should note?

I feel like I'm asking a lot, but since this will be my first watch, and it being $300+ USD, I feel like I should approach this purchase with strong knowledge before I do make the investment.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
There are no "cons". Do not assume an automatic will "last longer" than a quartz watch.
Mechanical watches should be serviced every 5 - 8 years but most people just don't bother because it's expensive, and let them run like that indefinitely.

·
Registered
128 Posts
A quickset date allows you to adjust the date by pulling the crown out and turning it. A lot better then non quickset where you will have to go though AM and PM in the time setting position on the crown.
Hope this answers your question.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I'm totally new to watches so please excuse my newbieness. I was initially only looking for a stainless steel watch with a black dial, but after browsing amazon for a couple of hours, I ran across this watch and I've been obsessed with it ever since. I've seen similar-looking models to it like the SNE039, but I'm leaning towards automatics because of its history and its ability to last longer. I have quite a small wrist (6.5 inch) so I have a feeling this watch will fit me perfectly after looking at wristshots of others with similar-sized wrists.

I want to know what the pros and cons are of this watch because I can't seem to find much info on it. However, I saw this thread as I was browsing:
(can't post links because of 0 posts history, but it's located in the second page of this "Seiko & Citizen" category titled "Sarb033 from Chino quickset date not working")

What is a quickset date? And how common is this problem?
Are there any other problems I should know about this particular model?
How often should I get it serviced?
I live in the US so I'm been made aware of some reputable sellers such as Chino and seiyajapan. Are there any others that I should note?

I feel like I'm asking a lot, but since this will be my first watch, and it being $300+ USD, I feel like I should approach this purchase with strong knowledge before I do make the investment.

Thanks in advance!
A quickset date is where the date can be set by pulling the crown half out - meaning you can set the date without altering the time, and easily flick through the dates without having to forward the watch 24 hours at a time to tick it forwards a day.

I can't say I have heard of any problems really - there may have been one or two issues with dates, but that is really nothing other than bad luck - if anything the 6r15 movement the watch uses is a common and well proven one, so issues are minimal.

Officially I think Seiko ask somewhere between 5-10 years, but that is just a guideline. Given the cost of the watch and the cost of a full service (i.e. that the cost to service is a significant percentage of the cost of a new watch), I think many owners are aiming for the plan to just run it until they have issues, and at that point figure out whether it is more economical to repair or replace it.

I will put in a good word for Seiya - where I got my 033 from and generally gets very good reviews from those who have bought from him.

I would have to say the SARB033 is a superb watch and great value, so you can't really go too far wrong with one :)

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
That was my thread about the quickset date! The problem has somehow magically resolved itself and I couldn't be more pleased.

Chino is also a great place to get the Sarb from - they are an Authorized Dealer (AD).

At 6.5', the watch should fit you very nicely.

Pros for the watch are bang for buck, very sexy case, cool dial that looks brown in strong sunlight.
Cons are: the applied indices and the hands are fine for a 300 usd watch but they really make you lust after a Grand Seiko.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
To those whom have the SARB033, how long have you had it for?

And KtWUS, yes that was your thread! How long did that problem last for, and how long have you had the watch? Was that the first time it happened and has it ever happened again?

Sidenote: how do you activate the lumibright? Does it automatically glow when it gets dark?
How easy it to remove the bracelet? How easy it to remove and adjust the links?

·
Registered
7,134 Posts

And KtWUS, yes that was your thread! How long did that problem last for, and how long have you had the watch? Was that the first time it happened and has it ever happened again?

Sidenote: how do you activate the lumibright? Does it automatically glow when it gets dark?
There are tens of threads to answer all your questions and more.. just use the search function.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
The lume absorbs ambient light and glows on its own. There is no way to 'activate it' other than by shining a light on it.

The bracelet is easy to take off of the watch if you have a spring bar tool.

Resizing it is a little trickier due to stock Seiko bracelets having very tiny pieces called collars that hold the pins in place between links. You have to be very careful not to lose them, but otherwise it's not difficult.

There are plenty of videos on YouTube that can show you how to do it and what tools you might want to have.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts

Had it for about 2 months now (wow how time flies). I hadn't worn watches for at least 10 years before buying the Sarb and now its on my wrist almost everyday (unless I'm wearing my Celadon Imperial).
That was the one and only time the watch acted out. I think what might have happened is that I was adjusting the hands and date while the watch was dead (I had just returned from a short trip). Somehow that might have caused the stem to be out of alignment with the date quickset mechanism? I've never read instructions/advice saying that the watch should be ticking before any adjustments. All is good now.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Had mine for 2 months. Runs too fast (about 40 seconds per day) and the bezel and clasp get scratched easily. I bought a monster to wear daily and try to preserve its looks. I'm going to have to learn how to regulate it I guess. (Does anyone know if I can give to to Seiko to do this since it's outside manufacturers specifications?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
I'm going to have to learn how to regulate it I guess. (Does anyone know if I can give to to Seiko to do this since it's outside manufacturers specifications?)
You should not try to regulate by yourself. An instrument called timegrapher is needed, which will show more parameters that just the rate, as well the difference in various positions. Also, the watch must be demagnetized first. Bring the watch to a watchmaker.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Pros: great looking all around watch from one of the most reputable makers. Great value for money spent.
Cons: may be less convenient to have serviced than ETA being Japanese and having less availability for parts. Not Swiss, so no prestige coming from the average Joe.

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
Cons: may be less convenient to have serviced than ETA being Japanese and having less availability for parts.
??? Maybe you weren't aware that the Swatch group has restricted part availability to independent watchmakers?
Swatch Group parts policy [with addendum] | Watch Guy

Which means these can be repaired by AD only, at the price and conditions they will dictate! There is not such restriction for Seiko.

·
Registered
12,703 Posts
??? Maybe you weren't aware that the Swatch group has restricted part availability to independent watchmakers?
Swatch Group parts policy [with addendum] | Watch Guy

Which means these can be repaired by AD only, at the price and conditions they will dictate! There is not such restriction for Seiko.
But there is a huge market for ETA clones. Everything from Sea-Gull to Sellita. If you don't mind non-ETA parts, you can get parts that work from all over the place. That's not the case with Seiko.

·
Registered
7,134 Posts
But there is a huge market for ETA clones. Everything from Sea-Gull to Sellita. If you don't mind non-ETA parts, you can get parts that work from all over the place. That's not the case with Seiko.
Very few parts from the clones actually interchanges with original ETA movements, because of small but significant difference in size and tolerances. Note that Sellita is a Swiss manufacturer, even if with plants in China its prices are absolutely comparable to ETA. Seiko is the always the best priced choice, at purchase time and after,

1 - 18 of 18 Posts