WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this beautiful watch for a couple weeks now, and a few members here have asked for me to post more pictures and a review. So, very briefly, here are some thoughts and many, many pictures.

Analog watch Watch Fashion accessory Watch accessory Silver

I first learned about the 6r15 movement about two years ago, and I started hunting for one of these higher grade Seikos that hack and hand-wind. My challenge was to find something at my preferred size - 40mm - that had a unique character. I liked some of the bigger tool and diver styles using the movement, but they looked too big for me. On the other hand, the more classic small dressy versions looked a bit humdrum. This "Cocktail Time" design stood out as something completely different. I lurked around auctions and the sales forum, waiting to find one pop up for under $500, because I'm basically a cheapskate at heart.

Seiko makes three versions of the "Cocktail Time", which are collaborations with the award winning bartender Mr. Ishigaki Shinobu. Each of the three designs are classified by flavor profile, like a drink. The SARB065 is the "Cool" flavor, with it's ice-blue sunburst dial. The SARB066 is "Dry" with spy-vs.spy style warped Roman numerals, white dial and yellow gold case; and the limited edition SARB068 is "Sweet" with rose-gold case and italic arabic font. Of the three, the 065 is my favorite, as I'm not a fan of the stylized numerals.

I am very impressed with the performance of the 6r15 movement. The watch gained about 15 seconds relative to atomic time during the 10 days that I was tracking. I have only a few mechanicals that run this accurately, two Sea-Gulls and an Orient. (Notice that they aren't my Swiss or German watches. :think:) The hand-winding feels smooth and crisp, and the seconds hand hacks cleanly. I would definitely recommend any watch with the 6r15 movement. I wonder why Seiko keeps most of these for Japanese domestic sales? It feels like a big step up from the 7s series.

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory

Features include domed Hardlex crystal face and exhibition caseback, date at "3", 40mm case with 20mm lugs. Because of the domed crystal, the watch sits rather tall at 13mm, and has a surprising visual presence. The radial sunburst texture on the dial reflects light in very dynamic ways. A camera does a poor job of showing the bright flashy reflections that virtually resonate from this dial.

The supplied deployment strap has a high sheen finish, padded black oiled leather with blue stitching. Usually I don't like deployment straps because I have trouble getting my hand through the circle. (I must have thick hands or something.) But this particular deployment is one of only two that I own that I like. (The Stowa butterfly deployment is the only other one that I haven't swapped out for a standard tang buckle.)

The combination of shiny black strap with flashy guilloché dial borders on blingy, but balances that fine line with classy panache. It oozes a rat-pack tuxedo vibe, Mad Men in patent leather spats, martini-fueled power brokers with curvaceous attendants; a make-believe amalgam of Bond driving a Bugatti, playing Baccarat in Cannes.

In other words, it's a fantasy watch, plain and simple. Now, I just need to find more excuses to wear a tuxedo. ;-)

On with the photo gallery. Apologies for hogging bandwidth.

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Silver

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Wrist

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Wrist

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Eyewear Goggles Personal protective equipment Glasses Fashion accessory

Analog watch Watch Eyewear Fashion accessory Strap

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Material property

·
Registered
8,730 Posts
A very comprehensive review Robert and your pics had me drooling.
Question: what's the very colourful image.under the watch in some of the pics?

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk

Reactions: skywatch

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A very comprehensive review Robert and your pics had me drooling.
Question: what's the very colourful image.under the watch in some of the pics?
Thanks, Olly! As a backdrop for some of the photos, I used two vinyl LP record covers (remember those silly things? They are out in the studio because I have a class to teach on Tuesday and I want these 20-somethings to hear what records sounded like.) The band is Jade Warrior, two albums "Kites" and "Waves", Island Records © 1976 and 1975. U.K. imports in fact, as was this lightly used watch, by way of Japan of course.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
That Sir, is a very classy watch. It looks especially good with your kite (er, album cover, I thought at first that it was a real kite) and cymbal. I think I will have to put a SARB on my must get list.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I don't see a lot of dress-type watches in this forum that tempt me, but this one sure does. Thanks for the write-up, and for the excellent photos.

The close-up, face-on shot sitting in the middle of the cymbal (third from bottom) is especially fantastic.

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't see a lot of dress-type watches in this forum that tempt me, but this one sure does. Thanks for the write-up, and for the excellent photos. ... The close-up, face-on shot sitting in the middle of the cymbal (third from bottom) is especially fantastic.
Thank you, TGE! I hope I do not get blamed for more unnecessary watch purchases. I tend to gravitate towards dressy watches because I like the simplicity and balanced dimensions, but I hardly ever dress up. I wear stuff like this in shorts, t-shirt and sandals. But I'm probably old enough people just think I'm eccentric and politely turn away. :). I'm glad you like some of the photos - this is one of those animated watches that always looks better in person. That's why I splattered the screen with so many images, trying to expose the various moods of this extroverted shiny thing.

·
Registered
8,730 Posts
skywatch said:
Thanks, Olly! As a backdrop for some of the photos, I used two vinyl LP record covers (remember those silly things? They are out in the studio because I have a class to teach on Tuesday and I want these 20-somethings to hear what records sounded like.) The band is Jade Warrior, two albums "Kites" and "Waves", Island Records © 1976 and 1975. U.K. imports in fact, as was this lightly used watch, by way of Japan of course.
I thought that's what they were (album covers, I'm not claiming I'd identified the band!). They look great, have a really cool psychedelic 70s look to them.
Wouldn't something like Chet Baker be more appropriate for the watch though? I can see some guy wearing it while sitting in a basement club watching Chet do his thing, sipping on a rusty nail and sucking on an untipped Gauloise.

Reactions: skywatch

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wouldn't something like Chet Baker be more appropriate for the watch though? I can see some guy wearing it while sitting in a basement club watching Chet do his thing, sipping on a rusty nail and sucking on an untipped Gauloise.
Good point. I have some old jazz albums, maybe I'll add some new backdrops. I thought Jade Warrior seemed appropriate because they were such Nipponophiles. The albums are full of Asian references, and as full length compositions on each side they had a bit more in common with "Tubular Bells" and progressive rock than with the psychedelic scene. Sorry ... nerding out now... back to watches. :-d

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
The combination of shiny black strap with flashy guilloché dial borders on blingy, but balances that fine line with classy panache. It oozes a rat-pack tuxedo vibe, Mad Men in patent leather spats, martini-fueled power brokers with curvaceous attendants; a make-believe amalgam of Bond driving a Bugatti, playing Baccarat in Cannes.
I like the Cocktail Time, but this paragraph right there just added so much sexiness to it!

Very nice pictures, great idea to use the zildjans! Now I'm off to find some Jade Warrior... so I'll know what it actually is!

·
Registered
27,200 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
This watch doesn't talk to me, it knocks me into the upper deck! I can't believe how all the little sweet features all come together into the Perfect Storm. The retro art deco style hour hands, esp. the 12, 6, 9 o'clock just make me weak all over. My mind is justifying the use of plastic to feed the "instant gratification" urge. I honestly, truly, hate this thread esp. the photo's. The bartender should stick to mixing drinks :-d;-):-x

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wow, that's one of the most beautiful watches I have ever seen :-!

Great movement, at 40mm case and 20mm lugs it is very appropriately sized. Just looking at photos I feel it is one of those 'for life' things.

Now, how much Seiko is paying you?

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Now, how much Seiko is paying you?
Hah! That would be nice. ;-)
It's just a good challenge trying to photograph the light on this watch, amateur that I am. It's even more shimmery in person! It's just watchpron - I really wouldn't want anyone buying something they don't need.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I like the Cocktail Time, but this paragraph right there just added so much sexiness to it!
Yes, this.

I didn't know how to say it properly myself at first, so thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wow, that watch looks fantastic! My college budget would let me buy it right now if I didn't have to buy books next semester...

Must buy books...

Must buy books..........

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Another nice addition to your collection Skywatch! Somewhere on my short list, i have this one waiting...Great review and pics, you just pushed me a few steps closer to my first SARB! Enjoy this one in best of health!

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Must buy books..........
Watches can wait. When you're done with studies, maybe ask for a graduation present? One thing I've learned in the few years since rekindling my watch obsession, is that even limited editions will keep popping up for sale from time to time. In fact I purchased this one lightly used from the 'Bay, thus saving me about $200.

1 - 20 of 163 Posts