WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new here. Been collecting watches for 3 years now and am looking for a new one in the $400-$700 USD approx price range.

I have an old Seiko V657-8060 Chronograph and an Invicta 8926 Pro Diver in my collection and both fit my wrist quite well. I have a small wrist 6.25" (I'm 5'9 and 140lbs) and do find some watches are just too large for me. (The Hamilton Viewmatic Jazzmaster 37mm fits well but not crazy about the blue hands). My old Seiko says it is a 38mm +crown and the Invicta is listed at 38mm+ on Amazon.

I'm looking for a metal bracelet non-chronograph watch to wear to work (dark suit everyday) and was taken by the SARB035 until I saw the SARB023. I like the brighter, cleaner white dial. Absolutely stunning!!

I thought I had decided but then found the SARB041 and fell hard for the strap. Then I also really liked the MKII Vantage (although I know it is a less formal and possibly militant-esque watch.)

So here are my questions:
1. Are there reputable online sellers for SEIKO that would stock the SARB023 or SARB041? There are a few on eBay but I'm honestly a little weary. Seiya even looks a bit dodgy. Where do I go to buy new?

2. What are the sizing details on these two watches and in your opinion would they swallow my smaller wrist?

3. Are there any other watch brands/models (seiko or not) that I should look at? I'm not crazy about the Orient Star brand btw. I'm open to black or white dials but seem to prefer white on watches leaning towards formal and black for more sporty.

4. Any opinions on my current probem of deciding between the SARB023, SARB041 and the MKII Vantage?

Ok, well I hope I someone out there can help, it's a little overwhelming now that I'm deep in my hunt and wrapped in indecision!

Cheers,

Ian

Attachments

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
1. Seiya and Higuchi Inc. are your best bet, in fact, if you plan to get JDM models. These guys still do their business even yesterday after the tsunami struck Japan. Although, well, they are located quite far from Sendai.
2. Seiko watches are mostly sized for medium to small wrists. Even their divers are.
3. Maybe Fossil? :p Try looking at Bulova watches.
4. The bracelet and white face on SARB041 wins it for me. I am kinda looking for a dress watch for a dark suit too and I think I like the SARB041's looks the best.

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,282 Posts
Welcome Ian.
Just curious, why do you feel Seiya looks a bit dodgy?
I have considered the Vantage myself, but do wish they hadn't upsized it. I'd prefer the original Explorer sized 36mm.
Those SARBs are all nice, and it comes down to personal preference. All would work well with a suit. The 023 has a beautifully machined and angled case, but to me is a little chunky and bold for the style, and i prefer the 035. I haven't paid much attention to the 041 before. I like the bracelet too, and the retro case design. But if i was to buy a new SARB it would be the 027. It has such a wonderful classic vintage look with domed crystal (like the 041) and would look fantastic with a suit. It's also a little smaller (36mm?) than the others and may suit your wrist better, though none of them are large watches at around 38mm. I'm not into large watches generally, and i prefer 36mm dress watches on my 6.5" wrist. In any case, you can't go wrong with any of them. Great value for money. I believe the Vantage is well made too though i haven't handled one.
Let us know what you choose.
Cheers!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Bought my SARB from Seiya, wouldn't hesitate to purchase again from him. Good buying experience. I've also heard same positive about Higuchi, never purchased from him, but would.

The MRKII is a good looking watch. Good luck in your hunt.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I have had both and prefer the Vantage. MKII makes a unique piece in that it is an homage but you can customize if willing to wait. The size is also perfect at 39mm. Bracelet is solid. Not to say the SARBs are inferior, I just prefer the Vanatage.

Reactions: nhoJ

·
Banned
5,850 Posts
I have the SARB021 which is the black dialed version of the 023 that you are considering. It is a phenomenal watch and worth more then they sell for, even with the poor exchange rate. A friend took some beautiful pictures and I wrote something up here.

The SARB041 I have not seen much of on the forums. Not sure why.

Seiya and Higuchi are trusted sellers with great customer service. But considering the state of Japan, I would exercise some patience dealing with them for the next few weeks.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Bought my SARB from Seiya, wouldn't hesitate to purchase again from him. Good buying experience. I've also heard same positive about Higuchi, never purchased from him, but would.

The MRKII is a good looking watch. Good luck in your hunt.
+1 for Seiya. I also bought my sarb (059) from him. Perfect service, fast shipping, awesome product.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I own a MkII Vantage and a Seiko SARB033 in black. I've also previously owned a SARB035 in white.

My take on this comparison is that you honestly can't go wrong with either choice. I think both the Vantage and the SARB's are fantastic watches, and both offer incredible value for their cost. I think that they both are fabulous choices and well worth two or three times their cost. Both work well on their original high quality bracelets, and even better on a nice leather strap; both can equally be worn with a suit or casually with jeans on the weekend.

A couple of comments that may help you make your decision. First, the Vantage definitely wears larger; at 39mm, the watch feels more modern in it's size and wrist presence. It depends on your own wrist size, but at 7 inches, the 39mm watch feels "just right". The dial is more matt than glossy black, and the whole effect of the Explorer vibe is that the watch feels a bit more casual than the SARB. My one wish-- which isn't shared by everyone-- is that the numbers and indices had chrome outlines, because I'm a sucker for beautiful applied indices.

The SARB033 has a few more dressy elements that have to be seen to be appreciated... The indices catch the light in a way that makes the features pop, and the shimmery lacquer-like glossy dial carries the light differently depending on whether you're in direct sunlight or not. The SARB035 also had this with some pearly essence, but I love on the SARB033 how the black becomes almost a dark root-beer color. It's hard to describe, but this review captured it better than most ( https://www.watchuseek.com/f304/review-seiko-sarb033-spirit-257162.html ). As true of many of the 6r15 movements, the SARB actually feels a bit tall for being a more dressy watch than the Vantage.

In the end, it comes down to a personal choice: Do you have a larger wrist? If so, you might favor the larger Vantage. Do you have a preference for polished and glossy elements that make for a very slightly more dressy look? If so, you might choose the SARB.

Or, buy either, then flip and sell if you decide it's not for you! Good luck with your decision-- either would be a great choice.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Helpful exchange. I don't care to live in the shed, so that budget is beyond what the boss would approve. But Seiko owns a piece of another operation. What about an Orient Senator?
Bill

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Hi Ian, welcome to WUS. This is an interesting thread for me personally as the Vantage and SARB035 are both very much on my to buy list. I have a similar sized wrist to you and I'm c confident any of those watches would be fine.
I agree with the others that you can't really go wrong with any of the watches but I'd like to throw one more into the mix which to my mind sits comfortably between the tool asthetic of the Vantage and the dressiness of the SARBs. It's the SARB017, my personal favourite of the Seiko Alpinist line (a cream dialled version is also available). It comes on a brown leather strap but you can buy a bracelet for it if you prefer. Here's mine.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Like John I'd recommend a look at the SARB033. I was looking at the MKII for a while but preferred a Seiko for the following reasons; I wanted something slightly more dressy, I'd heard really good things about the 6R15 movement, it was more easily obtainable (from the excellent gentleman Seiya) and was better value for money IMHO.

I've not been disappointed with the SARB and it is one of my favourite watches. The accuracy is better than my Sub and is easily within COSC standards.

I'm sure either would do you splendidly so good luck with whichever one you decide upon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts