WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I apologize for the poor clarity of the pics, these were images were captured at night. Shall try to take some during the day ...

Very happy with both the watches - got the Seiko because I wanted a 6R20/21 powered movement, and that dial really drew me in.

Got the Zenith because I love the funky late '60s/early '70s vibe of that Defy - just a wonderful case and dial design. Also, didn't have any cal. 25xx in my collection (this defy has the PC2562 - a later version, the PC2572, which Zenith is resurrecting in its "new" Port Royal line!).

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,614 Posts
Nice looking funky Zenith you have. I really like the big crowns they used on some of their 1970's watches. I'm not familiar with the Seiko. Is the 6R20 a derivation of the 6R15?

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John, the movement is the cal. 6R21 which is also in a couple of Ananta models. It's a 28,800bph, 29 jewel, handwindable movement with seconds hack - has a PR, day and date display. The 6R24 is similar, but the day and date are both retrograde displays for that movement (exclusive to the Ananta, I think).

Reactions: CitizenM

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
The 6R2* movements are technically derived from the 6R** which are technically derived from the 7S**. The layout of the movement is the same, but nothing else is. I think that the 6R15 does use SPRON, which is carried over into the 6R2*, but the jewel counts, power reserve, complications, BPH, dial layout and decoration is different. Essentially what I'm saying is that the 6R15 can be seen as a natural evolution of the 7S, but the 6R20, 21 and 24 are so different that I'd probably just give them a whole new designation. The SARC actually uses the 6R21, and the Seiko Premier Automatic uses the 6R20....I think

Anyway, beautiful, gorgeous Seiko.

·
Registered
6,763 Posts
Great pictures of the Seiko SARC015 and the Zenith Defy, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
Sidenote: What is up with Seiko putting power reserves upside down on all their nicer watches? This Sarc, most of the Grand Seikos, most of the Anantas (actually, I think I own the ONLY Ananta with a conventionally aligned power reserve).

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I'm not convinced with the way they display the PR. Perhaps they want to obscure the fact that this model has a miniscule 45 hours, by visually implying that the power reserve increases the more time the watch spends off your wrist (sans a winder) :-d

Kidding, of course!

Sidenote: What is up with Seiko putting power reserves upside down on all their nicer watches? This Sarc, most of the Grand Seikos, most of the Anantas (actually, I think I own the ONLY Ananta with a conventionally aligned power reserve).

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,614 Posts
Yeah, I'm not convinced with the way they display the PR. Perhaps they want to obscure the fact that this model has a miniscule 45 hours, by visually implying that the power reserve increases the more time the watch spends off your wrist (sans a winder) :-d

Kidding, of course!
The power reserve display on that watch while visually attractive, takes up way too much space. The consequence of that is the day and especially the date pointers are squeezed down to where they are barely readable. A miniscule 45 hours??? That is on the high side for most automatic watches. I believe the closely related 6R15 has a 50 hour power reserve, which is impressive in the world of good quality watch movements.

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
I think he was being sarcastic about the power reserve. I'd actually test his is 50 hours in real life. Seiko rates their movements for "at least" so many hours.

I don't mind the pr being so big since I use it all the time. But while I like how pointer dates look they're pretty difficult to read in real life while you're walking around.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,614 Posts
Yes, the pointer day/date displays are much more attractive than windows. Just challenging for those of us who use reading glasses.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Smiths "Everest" PRS-25 with the Miyota cal. 9015 ...

Almost borderline too big for me, but I think it sneaks in just under ... what do you think?

I'm really liking it, thus far ...

Reactions: rayaring

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,614 Posts
Not bad and as one who has driven more than one English car I do like the name. Hows the pricing. Is Smiths making the Miyota movement in Great Britain under license?

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pricing is very good, just a bit north of Pounds Sterling 250. I'm almost sure that the cal. 9015 manufacture hasn't started up outside Asia. Also, no idea about the laws governing putting up "Great Britain" on the dial, have to look it up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts