WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All seiko lovers, need your help. Am visiting Tokyo this april and want to buy a seiko that i could resonate with local art and history. Am going with family and will be spending heavily on trip and hence not much budget for grand seiko.
my choices:
1. SARD011 urushi with several complications. - I consider urushi highly into japanese art and culture. i dont have any watches with urushi / enameled. buying urushi in japan would be my reason to buy this watch.
2. SARX055 - am a snowflake lover however not on budget to buy a gs snowflake. this new presage ticks the box, looks beautiful and i love its titanium lightness and beautiful bracelet.

Which one should i go for ? i will be visiting bic camera and yodobashi.

any suggestions?
thanks.

·
Registered
573 Posts
+1 for Urushi ....it's more "all around" watch , excellent movement and great complications. The Quality of the bracelet and case is really high level.
I doubted between sarx035 and sarw029 ... I finally decided to sarw029 because of PR function and Arabic numbers of the beautiful font, that I love...

Послато са Nexus 7 уз помоћ Тапатока

·
Registered
997 Posts
If you are equally torn between the SARD011 and SARX055, then I would go for the SARD011. It's a unique looking watch and several years from now you may not be able to purchase anything like it again. The SARX055 has that nice frosty dial, but I would say with 100% certainty that Seiko will always have some form of a nice 6R15 white dial three hander in their lineup.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. Points i have noted from all your input is
1. SARX055 is beautiful looking watch but i think we are going to see more of it with frosty dials and 6Rs movements.
2. Urushi-
SARD011 - its high on complications and jumping date, day complications. after seeing videos and pictures i believe that there are too many hands / pointers blocking each other at several timings and looks a bit jumbled up. however its unique and believe once stopped production, wont be available at this price range.
SARW013 - looks like the urushi to go with. dial is not too much occupied compared to sard011 and a nice looking clean watch.

Just saw that seiko released a porcelain dial presage with a new 6R35 70 hr power reserve presage. ummmmmmm !!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey, thanks mate. i agree with that uniqueness point and not being able to find this kind of watch afterfew years. what do you think about too busy dial with so many hands crossing each other ? a bit jumbled ?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
that looks awesome... what are your thoughts on too busy dial and many pointer hands crossing each other and looking a bit jumbled ? theres another option of sarw013 with less complication but basically the same urushi dial ?

·
Registered
182 Posts
You mentioned GS twice in your original post - so perhaps you prefer the baby snowflake.
It's important to find the watch that you really like.

Also white dials look more elegant - but black dials are more legible.
Do you need to read the time quickly?

The baby snowflake comes with a bracelet - so you're getting watch and titanium bracelet.
The urushi has just the leather strap.

The urushi SARD011 looks like the imposing face you see on a Samurai helmet.
I think they designed it that way. It has the most 'Japanese' associations.
It also has the most complications - some people find that impressive.
But others will find it too 'busy' making it difficult to read the time.

Also to some it looks like a sad face.
Do you want to look at that every day?

My final answer is same as the others - you're better off getting the SARW013.
It's less money than the SARD011.
The baby snowflake can wait for another day.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
that looks awesome... what are your thoughts on too busy dial and many pointer hands crossing each other and looking a bit jumbled ? theres another option of sarw013 with less complication but basically the same urushi dial ?
I actually prefer it for trips where I need to keep track of the day/date. The pitch black lacquer makes contrast very good and I don't find it busy.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You mentioned GS twice in your original post - so perhaps you prefer the baby snowflake.
It's important to find the watch that you really like.

Also white dials look more elegant - but black dials are more legible.
Do you need to read the time quickly?

The baby snowflake comes with a bracelet - so you're getting watch and titanium bracelet.
The urushi has just the leather strap.

The urushi SARD011 looks like the imposing face you see on a Samurai helmet.
I think they designed it that way. It has the most 'Japanese' associations.
It also has the most complications - some people find that impressive.
But others will find it too 'busy' making it difficult to read the time.

Also to some it looks like a sad face.
Do you want to look at that every day?

My final answer is same as the others - you're better off getting the SARW013.
It's less money than the SARD011.
The baby snowflake can wait for another day.
Thanks mate. you raised some good questions that would help me choose the right piece. am actually fascinated about the retrograde complication plus urushi. Shall check all 3 on wrist and definately update once i buy it. cheers!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.